Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Reckon I would do better than current owner - he's an old fashioned type with basic offering. I'd turn it into a funky little surf hut with drift wood floor and walls etc and great healthy food
    You'll be attracting all those weirdo liberal elitists looking for a tofu fry-up and kale fritters. :rotfl:
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 June 2017 at 1:52PM
    Options
    May rightly being crticised on the bbc for not publicly having a go at Trump along with the other EU leaders.

they make a case that May wants to remain close to the USA regardless and this may in turn hurt the brexit negotiations with the closest allies

Personally I think Trump made a great case for pulling out of the Paris deal. Why should China be able to carry on polluting - it is the biggest polluter in the world? Why does China get away with everything from currency manipulation to theft of intellectual property? Why should the US, who has enough poor of its own, foot the bill - why can't Germany, France, Russia, etc stump up more.

Tell me this - who put Merkel in charge?

Hats off to TM.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 June 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    June 19th. Brexit negotiations begin.
    get?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FDBOzNLaXkAE3L1S.jpg&key=AVUtlfw_RB-YK7laTlGysQ&w=600&h=306

This comes up a lot. As someone whose job involves negotiating high value deals on a day-to-day basis (much of my job is executing mergers & acquisitions with a deal value in the region of £50 million to £10 billion), I do find this a rather ridiculous argument.

If you want to achieve something in a negotiation, you walk into the room saying "let's find a win-win deal that works for both of us".

If I walked into a room saying "I think you are all prats and I'm going to walk away unless you give me what you want", I wouldn't be able to negotiate a damn thing.

My clients would quite rightly fire me. Yet that seems to be the populist approach the Tories are advocating. It may be good old fun to sit around bashing the other countries in EU and willy waving, but it doesn't actually get you anywhere.

Yes you need to be tough at times but you treat your opposite side with respect, and you aim for the win-win rather than the lose-lose. A win-win deal is perfectly possible so let's drop the willy-waving.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,146 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May rightly being crticised on the bbc for not publicly having a go at Trump along with the other EU leaders.

they make a case that May wants to remain close to the USA regardless and this may in turn hurt the brexit negotiations with the closest allies
    I bet European leaders having a go at Trump improves his poll numbers and gives him more reason to ignore then when they come begging for a few troops because the Kremlin have annexed more of Ukraine.

We can of course all do Sixth form politics and refuse to talk to foreign countries who do anything we disapprove of but it won't get us very far in the real world.
    I think....
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure future psephologists will be studying these past few weeks with great interest.

To be fair, I and several others have been bemoaning the detrimental effects of a weak and ineffectual opposition; this Labour surge should hopefully have kicked some Tory complacency sharply in the backside. Just goes to show you can't take anything for granted.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thought I'd flag this up for anyone worrying about social care costs.
    Corbyn's sly death tax trap: 1.2million more families' homes to be hit by Labour's plan to slash inheritance rate to £650,000

• Labour will scrap Tory plans to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m by 2021
    • Instead, the party confirmed it would reduce it from £850,000 to just £650,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4564588/1-2m-homes-hit-Labour-plan-slash-inheritance-rate.html
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Moby wrote: »
    Jeremy is also proving to be far more resilient and competent than all of us thought, (Rugged Toast excepted).

I suspect we will all turn out to be right - even if he does manage to win.

I won't be going anywhere.....see you on "Corbynomics a Dystopia" on June 9th.
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 June 2017 at 2:06PM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I bet European leaders having a go at Trump improves his poll numbers and gives him more reason to ignore then when they come begging for a few troops because the Kremlin have annexed more of Ukraine.

And I ask again will JC take troops out of Eastern Europe (because he was clearly a bit of a Russian Tanki back in the day)?

Well I wish someone would ask him....
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 June 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 45% (-4)
    LAB: 40% (+6)
    LDEM: 7% (-)

(via @IpsosMori)
    Chgs. w/ mid May

Betting Odds

Coral

The latest odds for the party to emerge with the most seats are:
    • Conservative - 1/12
    • Labour - 13/2
    • Lib Dems - 500/1
    • Ukip - 1000/1
    • Greens - 1000/1
    Oddschecker

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Thought I'd flag this up for anyone worrying about social care costs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4564588/1-2m-homes-hit-Labour-plan-slash-inheritance-rate.html

Yep anyone who is worried about social care costs should look at the Daily Fail's critique of the Labour Party's policies to find out the 'truth'.......unbelievable how gullible some are!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport