We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Hey AC. Great result for you, well done. Take this brilliant opportunity like everyone has said and make the rest of your money work for you. No treating yourself to a £2k music system because you've "saved" on paying off your debts ;) Please don't forget how and why you got into debt in the first place and use that knowledge (and the extra cash you now have!) to make sure you never get in debt again.
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi copperjar ;)
    Very wise words . It's funny really . I spent too much time procrastinating over what I should be doing with my setup. Do you know what? I'm sticking with what I have !;)
    The alcove I have in the living room is the perfect spot for my tv& stereo. The only problem I have , is ..wires wires and more wires !
    The tv stand I have , holds all the musical equipment . It's just that the set top boxes and Apple TV box are making it cramped and untidy.
    I will be spending tomorrow moving things around trying to sort out the mess. All part of the fun of getting myself sorted in the flat:rotfl:

Thanks
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thought I'd give an update about ..the wires, the TV and the stereo .
    Bizarre really . Procrastination has stopped for the moment.
    I decided to go into the boiler room and retrieve a soundbase I had before I moved. I had this for about 18 months or so. The place was looking a mess , and myself and my brother were saying how untidy my tv area was back in Twickenham . I was using it before I moved, and tbh wasn't sure of how good / bad it was.
    So, I moved and left it in the box until I got fed up with the clutter I now have.

Back to this afternoon : I placed the soundbase ontop of CD player just to see if it sounds any good . It's absolutely amazing .
    I keep looking at the speakers . It's an optical illusion .
    The speakers/ stand / amp are now going somewhere in the boiler room. The soundstage is staying out here in the living room ;)

The boring bit : amp Cambridge audio/ speakers b&w/ target speaker stands/ nackamichi CD player plays 5 / q e d b I wire cable. Etc
    Soundbase ..Cambridge audio tv2

Reason it sounds so good, is probably because of the suspended ceiling and the place where everything is , is where there was once a chimney .

On a side note, I was gonna get a more expensive soundbar. TBH , no need . I spent a while looking at various cabinets to put my stuff in.
    I don't think I need to bother now , if I'm using this .
    That's another thing . Cabinets can be expensive .

So a good day today .:)

Tomorrow , I should finally start the boiler room. That's after I've got the music area cleared ...,:rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looks like your MSE mojo is kicking in AC. Make do and mend as my nan used to say. Just make sure you consider the neighbours with what sounds like a very elaborate entertainment system.

Me, I have a TV, combined dvd/surround sound system which is about 10 years old now and a sky box. The surround sound system has all the speakers with the wires now buried in the wall so we can't get rid of it. Mainly I listen to music on my laptop though or ipod/Bluetooth portable speaker which has great sound. I wanted the Bose one but it was £200 to the £80 my UE boom speaker cost.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It all sounds very technical to me and you lost me after the first couple of sentences of your last post AC!!
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi enthusiadtic ;)

Yes, I hope you're right regarding my mse approach ;)
    Would you believe , the thing that really got me thinking , was the price of cabinets / tv stands etc .
    For the price of some of those, you could buy a new surround sound unit . My seperates system is budget . I bought those in the days when you bought a bit every month .
    I know technology has hurtled forward over say the last ten years , but I expected limitations with the soundbar . It cost under £200 iirc
    Money very well spent .

I received an email from John Lewis about new TVs .
    I love toshiba, and every one I had, I ended up giving away because of upgrading etc . John Lewis have an all singing all dancing smart tv for £300 ! Do you know what ? I'm sticking to my 5 year one. It has a blue ray DVD built in
    It's great ! I did think for a few seconds tho :rotfl:
  • another_casualty
    Options
    It all sounds very technical to me and you lost me after the first couple of sentences of your last post AC!!

Sorry mrs. P . Just saying that, I've solved my untidy clutter in the tv area, by not spending any more money :rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seriously impressed by your restraint in not buying new toys AC. 3 gym visits in one week is great too. You are going great guns now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks enthusiastic ;)
    I'll keep trying ;) Will be back at the gym tomorrow and Tuesday .

Today I've removed the loudspeakers / stands / amp from the living room. Tidied the remaining wires as best as one could .
    The soundbar is the new permanent fixture now
    The turntable looks odd on top of it . Wil have to find a different spot for that .

I started tackling the boxfiles . Emptied 6 . The amount of rubbish is astonishing . Hopefully I can keep that amount going throughout the week .

Must remember to give readings for water / gas / electric tomorrow .
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on making a start on the paperwork AC - I always find this to be hardest thing to sort out.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport