I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That sounds great AC. Less than £15k even if Barclays don't accept the offer. Might still be worth counter offering on Westcott and PRA though. I would take the Santander offer pronto.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds promising......

As you know I didn't negotiate my debts, I just paid in full without giving it a second thought.. A lot of people told me I should have tried to get reductions but I guess I'm just proud and I wanted to have a clear conscience that I had "done the decent thing".

Yes some people laughed at me and called me foolish but I was happy with what I did.

Now as you know I am a great believer in Karma and Justice of the Universe.

Heres the thing.....

Over the following 2 years after paying my debts In full (£30k) extra funds just kept falling into my lap, with no effort on my part, Around £52k. A mixture of unexpected windfalls and a couple of gifts.

Isn't Karma a wonderful thing. :D

And to be honest this year has been nearly as fruitful.......;) I live with abundance.

Well I have had a fabulous week - been busy decorating, painting furniture and getting out and about, seeing people, going places. .

My knee is also much improved......just keeping my fingers crossed. Aiming to start the gym next week.

Have booked a few mini breaks to be spread over the next couple of months, London, Devon, Coventry. Word must have got out that I'm ready to start having some adventures.........

Glad you had a good time at Brockenhurst.....had a lovely holiday there once. Good to see you getting out more. I was beginning to worry you were becoming a recluse.........:rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Sounds promising......

As you know I didn't negotiate my debts, I just paid in full without giving it a second thought.. A lot of people told me I should have tried to get reductions but I guess I'm just proud and I wanted to have a clear conscience that I had "done the decent thing".

Yes some people laughed at me and called me foolish but I was happy with what I did.

Now as you know I am a great believer in Karma and Justice of the Universe.

Heres the thing.....

Over the following 2 years after paying my debts In full (£30k) extra funds just kept falling into my lap, with no effort on my part, Around £52k. A mixture of unexpected windfalls and a couple of gifts.

Isn't Karma a wonderful thing. :D

And to be honest this year has been nearly as fruitful.......;) I live with abundance.

Well I have had a fabulous week - been busy decorating, painting furniture and getting out and about, seeing people, going places. .

My knee is also much improved......just keeping my fingers crossed. Aiming to start the gym next week.

Have booked a few mini breaks to be spread over the next couple of months, London, Devon, Coventry. Word must have got out that I'm ready to start having some adventures.........

Glad you had a good time at Brockenhurst.....had a lovely holiday there once. Good to see you getting out more. I was beginning to worry you were becoming a recluse.........:rotfl:

Good to see all well with you LL. How great to be the recipient of windfalls when you needed them. I am not sure about Karma but I believe in good things happening to good people so I guess this is the same? Doesn't always follow though as you know. Sadly we were reflecting on how many of our family, friends and acquaintances died relatively young and it seems like it is sometimes the kind, thoughtful, generous people who go all too soon.

I would normally agree that paying off debts in full is the way to go but to be honest so many of these lenders have had more than their fair share of interest from borrowers who have long standing debts that I would not begrudge AC for wanting to save some pennies if he were able to. If the lenders were decent in the first place and helped people out when struggling by reducing interest rates then it would not come to this. Many of them aren't though and only AC can say whether any of his creditors were decent lenders. I would wager that his debt has been repaid many many times over though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks folks :)
    Glad you're knee is improving LL, and you're getting about making the most of the fine weather . London ? Haven't been back yet, but will be there in Sept .
    Yes enthusiastic ..all good . If my original offers are declined I may ask what is the minimum the others will take . They may give me a better offer in the meantime, which I will jump at .

Othet news : I got a free shelving unit from an eBay seller.
    They acknowledged their mistake but told me I can keep the one that's already been sent . Another is on its way.
    Been to the gym today. Dentist tomorrow .
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks enthusiastic for your kind words .:)
    I've been through the mill, so to speak so it's nice to have something go my way .
    With Barclays, th% was very high on the loan. The credit card was increasing in interest despite me paying more than the minimum each month . Santander was a mixture of my stupidity and having a credit card and bank acct more or less forced on me when I went to remortgage .
    Still, it's all behind me and I take nothing for granted and know I have to assess everything, limit the spending etc .
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    All sounding good AC
    Wishing you all the best with the rest
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    All sounding good AC
    Wishing you all the best with the rest

Thank you sir ! ;) It should all come together in theory ..and persistence :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Yes you have a chance now for a brand new start. Next time those credit card companies come calling just remember to say no ;)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Enthusiastic.....yes there's an old saying isn't there....."the good die young". My husband was the best of men, as honest as the day is long, Kind, considerate and generous to a fault. He was 57 when he died.

As for the word "karma" well it's just another way of "what goes around comes around", that we are the architects of our own nemesis, that we reap as we sow.

I have no problem with people trying to negotiate themselves a deal, after all it's perfectly legal. I am afraid my conscience would never let me. I just took the view that I had spent the money therefore I should pay it back.

The problem I have is that it's not the banks who take the hit, they just pass it on to their customers and or the tax payer, often one and the same so they get hit twice. It's Not just those who get into trouble and can't pay their debts and who end up paying shed loads of interest, bank charges and penalties, but it's also borrowers who never default and savers who get such poor returns who end up paying through the nose.

Now that is unfair.

As for my "windfalls". Whilst some could of course be mere coincidence one of them definitely was a direct result of my decision to pay my debt in full.

One of the financial gifts I received (a pretty substantial one) came from a member of my husbands family. He had heard what I had done and was impressed and thought I should be rewarded. Turns out his great great grandfather had been one of the founding members of what is now a global banking corporation. Apparently he is very "old school" so felt he had something of a personal interest and has quite strong views on fiscal responsibility.

Who knew :rotfl:

It just goes to show though we can never really know the full repercussions of our actions. There's often forces at work of which we are blissfully unaware.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    AC. we all have to learn fiscal responsibility and prudence. Most of us weren't born savvy, and I'm guessing many of us had to learn the hard way. I certainly did, hence my nom de plume. :rotfl:

You've done really well, you've turned your life right round. And that's not easy.

If I nag you sometimes it's because I want this to be your learning curve. I want you to make the most of this opportunity to forge a good life and a secure financial future for yourself.

You've worked hard, you've earned it.

By all means indulge yourself a little, now and again. Just stay out of debt. If credit cards are your nemesis then don't have one.

You know my mantra.......

"Life is short, take the trip, buy the shoes, eat the cake".

Enjoy, have fun, just stay debt free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport