We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Christmas food shooping, anyone starting now?

Options

Comments

• plumduff55
    Options
    Hi, I bought everything to make my mincemeat and christmas cake yesterday so am going to be busy this weekend. I have also started buying christmas booze - hope my willpower lasts and I don't open them too soon !!! LOL
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was walking through M&S foodhall yesterday and they had their own brand pink cava for 6.99 reduced from something and Irish Cream 7.99 reduced from 10.99. Are these likely to go up before Christmas? Would it be worth me getting them now?

The Irish Cream I'll definitely drink. I'll see if they have any other bargains when I go back.
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Got my tin of Roses from Somerfield for £4.99 too now so that's one tin of biscuits and one tin of Roses. Should be plenty ;)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Have got stuffing mix (my sister got me a food hamper last year for christmas and it was in there. I've been saving it for this years christmas), all the stuff needed to make mince pies (or one big mince pie) that I plan to make about 4 days before hand. I have crandburry sauce (not that I need it as my ma has over 20 jars of the stuff :rotfl: ) and there is a christmas pud left from last year here at my parents that I haven't gotten my mits on (had a christmas pudding 2 months ago hehe) hopefully it will be here for christmas lol, also have soya whipping cream to put on my christmas pudding. Probably have more in to be honest but I can't think right now. Reminds me I need to make sure I have enough in for christmas though, hehe.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moogiegirl wrote: »
    With all the food prices going up I have been trying to hoard a few things towards Xmas each week. So far I have 3 tubes of sweets a xmas pudding and a bootle of vodka.

the bottle of Vodka wouldn't last 5 minutes in this house let alone another 3 months! :rotfl:
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • madoldbat
    Options
    Oh dear Im going to be a bar humbug! But I dont actuly buy that much diffrent.Certainly not the tins of chocs me & DD would have finished them be next week:o Kids get given so much chocolate and sweets anyway at that time of year.
    I have got some nice homemade pickles-beetroot,onions and red cabbage.Also chutney and some nice homemade jam and jellies.
    I will make Christmas cake next week,sticky toffee puds to freez.
    Otherwise I order my meat from butcher,duck breasts,boned leg of lamb,sausages and a joint of beef for New year to be collected Christmas eve,this is the only time I dont think to hard about cost of meat.I try to make and sell enough cakes to cover butchers bill.
    I will buy some unsalted asstd nuts,crisps ,some diffrent cheese a box of chocolates,ginger,turkish delight and torron and thats it.We just cant cope with to much extra.
    I will buy all my usual stuff for the week bread,veg and fruit ect but put it together a bit diffrently.
    We dont drink so no booze bill.
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • shazziere
    shazziere Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    i have just stocked up in m and s with their hot or not chocolate cream liquer and white chocolate and vanilla flavour cream liquer.Both bottles £3 off now £5.99.Cant wait to try them!I was hoping to get the "Baileys" equivalent from there but im not sure if its the chocolate one ive got or whether its the irish liquer one.Can anyone help me?
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Options
    ....... Large christmas pudding( I dont like) from Thorntons in sale last Jan with BB date of april 2008, cost 50p.............

Cor, I'm jealous of your Christmas pud bargain......I'll try to remember to look in Thorntons after this one to see if I can get one for next year!!

All I've bought so far is my Christmas pud from Lidl, as it was quite nice last year and I won't be cooking anything myself this year as I'll be having my 3rd little 'un next week, so I'll be taking it easy.

Started to stockpile some wine but I doubt that'll last until Christmas once I'm allowed to drink once again!!!!! :beer: :beer:
  • Sugarcubed
    Sugarcubed Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Started with bits already, saying that Ive been buying presents n things from the sales for months.

3 rolls of 4m foil wrapping paper - 37p each
    Pack of 12 matching tags - 15p
    2 large packs of gold baubles (10 in each) - 48p each
    Tinsel to match - £1
    Small pack of looney tunes cards - 50p

Got loads of cards from last year to use. Need to find a cheap small tree now for my decorations.
    ** Mummy to little Jenna born on 23/12/07 **
    Pigsback - £11.25 (£30 cashed!) •
    • Valued opinions - £5.75 (£0.25 pending) •
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I spent my £20 of M&S vouchers on:
    2 bottles of Cava (2 for £10)
    6 boxes of sweets - Turkish delight, nougat, cherry liqueurs and Operetta (3 for £5 so bought 2 lots)
    Also bought 2 boxes of chocolate selections as they were half price and reduced to £2.99 each for a 390gr box. They should do very nicely as presents for the cat and dog sitters :)

So a good haul I feel :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport