We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Christmas food shooping, anyone starting now?

Options

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So far I have......
    6 jars of Robertsons luxury mincemeat 10p a jar in Asda dated dec 08(purchased in feb).;)

Jars of Beetroot,onions ect all 20p a jar with an 08 date,purchased in Feb.;)

We invited friends for a meal and they arrived with some choccy biscuits from M&S,so we have put them away for christmas.:p
    I dropped a friend at the airport and as a thankyou she gave me a large tin of Roses chocolates.(put away for christmas):D
    I have a large wooden box in our bedroom and my husband has fitted a lock on it and all food goodies are locked away until christmas,it means my sons cant raid it and I dont have to keep replacing everything.:j
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buying nothing food wise until we have moved, well apart from the 5p mincemeat I got in January :D

Most things I leave until last month as my partner is the same, he'll find it and it will be gone.

I did Xmas dinner for the first time ever last year :o :rotfl: but because it was just us and saved the stress of wondering how they will behave etc at other peoples houses, aswell as they much prefered to eat dinner in PJs! I think I will do the same again this year. I don't go overboard at Xmas when it comes to food etc as it ends up being wasted.

Roses are £4.99 a tin in Somerfield if anyone is interested.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • arnie&caseysma!
    Options
    I always start my pressie shopping before the Xmas before when I see what I can pick up in the pre-Xmas sales as the stuff is running out, and continue it through the January sales and the rest of the year.

Food shopping is a NO NO though, I rarely buy anything for that as usually end up somewhere else for Xmas day (last year at my sisters, OH didn't make it as he had flu and I had to take a plated meal to him, and then I went home with flu aswell!!!). I couldn't believe it today when I saw that Lidl has half an aisle devoted to all Christmas eateries.....I will be avoiding that aisle as much as possible til the end of November as least!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • milkydrink
    Options
    If I'm going to be buying something for Xmas anyway & it will keep, then if I see it on "offer" between now & then I buy it.
    I got 2 packs of pringles last week on offer & 2 boxes of luxury chocolate biscuits (1 box for work on Friday, one for Xmas). I got a few boxes of the half price M&S chocolates for Xmas & birthday prezzies.
    You may think pringles & chocolate biscuits are not really Xmas luxurys BUT we are all on WW in our house, so we don't have those sort of things anymore.
    As I see the things we buy I will buy them & put them away.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Regards the "tins" of roses at Tesco - several people seem to have got them - 2 for £9 , can you confirm the weight and that these are definitely tins and not jars ??

It's just that at Tesco online there does not seem to be a multibuy offer on the 1.3kg tins (£7.99) but there are 820g JARS (£6.99) that ARE on offer 2 for £9 !!

Just wondered if they were the same as the £4.99 ones (1.3kg) at Somerfield.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, made a list of things we want and will now start to look out for offers and buy them when I see them at a price I like. Also you get the pick of the items the earlier you start, can't stand the hustle and bustle of December shopping. As I work in a supermarket I don't have time to leave it until then either. Currently running down my freezer too so I can get a gammon joint in for Chrimbo and I am not sure what for New Year yet. Also have a nice wadge of JS/Nectar vouchers in addition to my staff discount to get off my shop so although I have tended to be careful in the past this will be first proper MSE Christmas and don't expect to have to part with too much cash!! :rudolf:
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've started getting a few bits - got mini pickled onions and gerkins, a huge jar of Lidl (gurktopf) gerkins as they're lovely and some different flavoured stuffing mixes (love the apricot and walnut one)

As for the chocs - got 5, 1kg tins of roses from www.halfcost.co.uk for £7 - sell by date was end of August but they're fine (had a little check for research purposes ;) )

Saving my last lot of clubcard vouchers for the rest of it - should have £80 worth in November and got about £15 on my nectar card.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    Oh please NO. I never understand why people buy extra stuff at Christmas and the queues shopping, you'd think the world was going to collapse! :confused:

We usually have cranberry sauce, stuffing and all the rest in the house anyway. Nuts and seeds get used in salads or as snacks throughout the year anyway. So all we make sure we have are a turkey, maybe frozen sprouts and chestnuts, with perhaps a set of different cheeses, and a packets of crackers or fresh ciabatta. OH doesn't like Xmas pud, and we might make a few sausage rolls and mincepies, there again, we might not.

If we buy chocs and snacks and crisps and stuff like that we'll just feel obliged to eat it and end up feeling fat and blubby like we've couch potato'd all year. Much nicer to have a "normalish" roast, feed the cats turkey titbits, and then have a lovely walk in the countryside. Nicer for the wallet too.

NOW if you want to get me onto buying Xmas tree ornaments (glass crystal shiny like ) that's another thing! :xmassmile
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I start about now and buy a couple of bits a week. I start with the tins of sweets and biccies etc and then go on to the basics (I stock up on beans, teabags etc early so that the week before Christmas I only need to buy fresh stuff)

I also grab stuff like pigs in blankets and little sausages and anything nice veggiewise that I might like as my main course (the rest of the family are meateaters) and pop those in the freezer. I only have a fridge freezer so the turkey only gets bought a couple of weeks before.

Oh I'm feeling all festive now (good job cos I work in a toy shop):rudolf: :rudolf:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread is perfect for the Christmas and Special Occasions board so I've moved it across.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family