We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Christmas food shooping, anyone starting now?

Options

Comments

• snails's_pace
    Options
    yup.I've started getting food items...chocolate (oh looks after them..under lock and key :D:D)...xmas pud,crackers,crisps and preserves.
    We got a big gathering this year at ours, i don't usually go over board with food for 1 day's roast dinner (which effectively is what it is),but with 15 people to feed I gotta be prepared this year.
    Also,I don't have to worry about lavish presents for my guests...we have always had the agreement that whoever the host is that year,doesnt have to buy pressies (apart for the little one's of course but im working on that 1 :D)

Im saving time in the kitchen this time round and cooking the meats the night before and peeling the veg (doesnt seem such a chore when your having a sherry;))....a little tip for others which i find useful....when you peel your veg the night before, put the saucepans in the porch (if u have 1)...keeps the veg from turning brown when uve run out of room in the fridge
    Bring back mark and lard NOW! or else (please) clique member no. 10 :j

"When a woman steals your man,there is no better revenge than to let her keep him"

I maybe blonde, have many moments and have big bazookas but my brain is in gear
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got the wine, & vodka from tesco ( for points ;) ) ready for making flavoured vodka :D

Wouldnt attempt to buy any goodies until at least nov as they would get eaten !
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've bought a tin of biscuits (Victoria) from Somerfield and I've got a bottle of Cava left from last year!
  • vickym
    vickym Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    I start with buying all the tins, sauces etc
    Because if I bought mince pies and chocolates then my Darling OH and Darling nieces would scoff the lot :rotfl: :rotfl:

One year I kept a note of all the Christmas food shopping that I had done from End sept to Christmas eve and in total I had bought 16 boxes of mince pies. Only 3 boxes where left on Christmas eve cause they had eaten them all.

I will not be making the same mistake again.
    Remember is nice to be important but more important to be nice

• plotholder
    Options
    got a pudding left from last year but i bought my turkey (10.5kg) last week in morrisons so now thats filling half the freezer - left it too late last year to get a biggie so when i saw this i got it
  • karenbell4065
    Options
    :rudolf: about half through my pressie shopping and its already wrapped, the only problem is i have to dust them before i give them! xxx
  • annaangeluk_2
    Options
    I've got coffee beans to have for xmas breakfast but apart from that - nothing!!

I'm not buying too much for the time being as I'm hopefully moving at the begininng of Nov so don't really want to move it to the new house!

This will be the first year I'll be "doing" xmas in my own house so although I can't shop for it at the moment, I have been writing very detailed lists, so does that count?!

:xmassign: :xmastree: :rudolf: :xmassmile :xmastree: :snow_laug :santa2: :snow_grin :xmassign: I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!!
    Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
    -6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought some bits in the Jan/Feb sales reduced with long expiry dates and have bought a couple boxes of bits and have been given a couple of choc/biscuit boxes so will keep those!

First Christmas in my own home ever and the first time we will cook it all ! On Boxing day having about 16 to cook for so it will be great fun!!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have started buying booze offers as they come up - got vodka, brandy, jack daniels (thats ALL mine!) and smirnoff ice. Also tins of pepsi on offer, BOGOF lemonade and quality street that MIGHT make it till Xmas.

As time goes on I will try and get most things while they are on offer - we'll see.
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a new Lidl open today so popped in as you do. They had their stollens in so bought one. This will of course be eaten by the middle of October (I'm very fond of stollen) so could technically be fibbing when I say I've bought a stollen for Christmas. This will also be because I will have to buy at least 3 before Christmas 'cos they always get eaten!!!

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family