Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ebico responds to SSE's letter:

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/another-letter-from-sse-to-ebico-customers-a-personal-response-by-phil-levermore-md-ebico-ltd/
    I would like to reassure customers that Robin Hood Energy is a robust, responsible, and not-for-profit licenced energy supplier. We are delighted that together we can continue our fight against rising fuel poverty in the UK, providing energy contracts that function fairly for all consumers, for many years to come.

All consumers? What about Warm Home Discount customers?
  • superkoopauk
    Options
    I notice the SSE website now has a nice tariff information page where you can see at a glance all unit rate and standing charges for all payment types for all tariffs (historic and current)

But to add to the confusion these new SSE zero tariffs don't appear to be listed (even when you select tariffs that are not available for sale)
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    You say that you have seen no evidence that Ebico breached it's contrct. You have clearly missed SSE's statement that this was exactly what they had done. That is "evidence" even if you choose not to believe it.

SSE's legal department is probably many times the combined size of Ebico and RHE total employees. I doubt they tell lies or don't know what they are doing.

The chances are if they say that Ebico have breached the contract and Ebico says they haven't then SSE is probably the better bet if one simply uses one's common sense.

Thanks for the clarification. As you have still not referenced any evidence, I am left to assume you are relying on the Utility Week article of 24/3/17 [post # 41] which reports that both Ebico and SSE accuse each other of breach of contract. I do not share your trust in SSE, accused with other 'big six' suppliers of mis-selling and price-rigging.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jouef wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. As you have still not referenced any evidence, I am left to assume you are relying on the Utility Week article of 24/3/17 [post # 41] which reports that both Ebico and SSE accuse each other of breach of contract. I do not share your trust in SSE, accused with other 'big six' suppliers of mis-selling and price-rigging.

The evidence that Ebico took the first step in ending the partnership, agreement or whatever with SSE is in Ebico's own statements. The Utility Week article was the start of the to and fro arguments between Ebico and SSE that confuses everyone.

I find your comments about mistrusting SSE rather amazing: For close on 20 years it has been SSE which has supplied energy under the Equi brands and it was SSE's support which got Ebico its top rating for customer support! In spite of that Ebico dumped SSE and took up with its new partner and I still don't understand why they did it. It's glaringly obvious that Ebico wanted RHE to rake in the profits while expecting SSE to fork out the Warm Home Discount.

Lastly RHE could voluntarily apply the WHD and provide WHD for the core group instead of expecting SSE to do it. But they are not doing that and that is why they should be condemned alongside Ebico for dumping the very energy poor consumers which they say they help.
    Some smaller suppliers also voluntarily participate in part of the scheme.
    Voluntary suppliers meanwhile only take part in the Core Group.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/social-programmes/warm-home-discount-whd
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still no welcome pack from Ebico. Has anyone been able to fully make a confirmed switch to Ebico/RHE yet?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 24 March 2017 at 9:38AM
    Options
    I've had a welcome pack in the post from EBICO a couple of days ago.

Seems OK.

I've just registered online (very easy, and my welcome pack is there as a pdf) and it tells me they will ask for my meter reading in 9 days
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    The evidence that Ebico took the first step in ending the partnership, agreement or whatever with SSE is in Ebico's own statements ... [etc]
    Please refer to post # 228 and note that is possible to exit a partnership without breaching a contract. Indeed, SSE say in their 20/3/17 letter "... WE have recently made the decision to bring our partnership to an end".

As the ethical dimension is critical to Ebico's offering, it is pivotal to my decision whether to remain their customer. Posts # 214 and # 220 question Ebico's ethics and claim breach of contract. I question the basis for this claim, which appears to be Utility Week's 24/2/17 report "SSE claims Ebico breached the terms ...", however in the same article Ebico claims SSE breached the terms. In post # 229 the poster prefers SSE's account as they have a larger legal department; I disagree as they also have a larger PR department and have been accused of mis-selling and price-rigging along with other 'big six' suppliers.

Exiting a partnership could be an ethical course of action following a change in circumstances and is not necessarily a breach of contract. Which company jumped first is not the issue here - did one or other of them breach a contract in an unethical way, and what is the evidence for it?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm not sure that it's Ebico "failing" the people it exists for. I think it's rather SSE not wanting to be in partnership anymore and therefore Ebico having to find a new partner e.g Robin Hood Energy.

On the other hand, why don't Ebico set themselves up as a proper energy company. If councils can do it all on their own then I don't see why not.

Councils can fall back on their ratepayers(Council Tax), and perhaps Government, if they make a loss.

Ebico are a non-profit making organisation see https://ebico.org.uk/
    Surely the trustees would have considered the pros and cons of getting a licence.
  • alanjones60
    Options
    I switch to ebico rhe on the 7th april, confirmed today
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jouef wrote: »

Thank you for presuming and telling me what I have read and presuming it is wrong, the bits that support you are right those that don't are wrong.

You exhibit classic signs of starting off with a conclusion that because you think it is "fact" and then retrofit and shoe-horn everything into "facts" that fit your conlcusion and ignore anything that contradicts it.

Anyway ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport