Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jouef wrote: »
    Perhaps we could clear up the original question before we move on to the ethics of Ebico's comment on pricing (in fact other posters are already dealing with this so we may not need to). So, on what source did you base your claim that Ebico breached a contract?
    From the information available to me, it is not axiomatic that either company is in breach.
    uk1 wrote: »
    What information is available to you that isn't available to me?

What cinformation do you have that there is a break clause?

....... who's point scoring exactly?
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 March 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Increasing variable tarriff.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08j99mn

Not reassured by the analysis...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • uk1
    Options
    Mee wrote: »

What is also not reassuring is the rush in which Ebico attempted to auto-change SSE customers to Ebico/RHE whilst withholding what is a consideration in the pot ie the planned price increase.

In addition, I may have missed it but it seems very oddly imprecise to say that prices won't go up until December 2017, but what date precisely? 1st or 31st of December ?
    So, to be clear, customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us soon that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE at the more expensive energy rates of the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff (to be renamed ‘SSE Zero’) and will be subject to SSE’s increase in the electricity price on the 28th of April. Customers who have already let us know that they want to move with us to Ebico Zero, and those that decide to opt-in within the next few weeks, will benefit from the tariff’s lower energy prices, the December 2017 price guarantee, and will avoid SSE’s April price increase. This is why we have made every effort to be as proactive and transparent as possible in our communications with you.

Has anyone seen a more precise date?
  • atsblack
    atsblack Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2017 at 12:24PM
    Options
    What is also not reassuring is the rush in which Ebico attempted to auto-change SSE customers to Ebico/RHE whilst withholding what is a consideration in the pot ie the planned price increase.

In addition, I may have missed it but it seems very oddly imprecise to say that prices won't go up until December 2017, but what date precisely? 1st or 31st of December ?

Has anyone seen a more precise date?

In the letter sent to me by Ebico dated 24th February states "charges may vary after 1st December 2017
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ....... who's point scoring exactly?
    On what source did you base your claim that Ebico breached a contract?
  • atsblack
    atsblack Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    On what source did you base your claim that Ebico breached a contract?

Possibly UK1 is basing his claim from the wording in the initial letter from Ebico dated 24th February 2017

A New Supply Partner For Ebico

"We are writing to let you know that we have decided to launch a new partnership with Robin Hood Energy. This decision was taken following a detailed analysis of the market to find a partner who can deliver the best deals for our customers. This means that our arrangement with SSE will come to an end."
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atsblack wrote: »
    Possibly UK1 is basing his claim from the wording in the initial letter from Ebico dated 24th February 2017 ... [etc]
    You could be right; I had the impression it was based on the Utility Week online article of the same date. In their own documents and in reports by others, both companies have said it was they who ended the partnership and that the other was in breach of contract (the 'partnership' and the 'contract' may not be the same thing). My interest in Ebico's ethics is to help me decide whether to switch (to a 100% renewables supplier in my case). Things seem rather emotive and information unreliable at the moment.
  • uk1
    Options
    atsblack wrote: »
    Possibly UK1 is basing his claim from the wording in the initial letter from Ebico dated 24th February 2017

A New Supply Partner For Ebico

"We are writing to let you know that we have decided to launch a new partnership with Robin Hood Energy. This decision was taken following a detailed analysis of the market to find a partner who can deliver the best deals for our customers. This means that our arrangement with SSE will come to an end."

Thanks,

Customers had a rolling contract with Ebico, who mirrored that with a rolling contract with SSE to supply Ebico customers on an exclusive basis until one side brought the contract to an end. In other words it continues until one side terminates the agreement either by giving notice or by breaching it.

Ebico brought the contract to an end when it sought to appoint a different partner to replace SSE, whether it gave any notice or not presumably no one knows. It seemed to me that SSE would have continued with the arrangement, but Ebico's excuse seemed to be that SSE could not guarantee rates going forward. Having done the deal with Robin Hood, Ebico then tried to automatically enrol SSE customers to Robin Hood by inertia. Having gone past the cut-off dates it originally announced for customers to "object" to being automatically moved, during which timeSSE said "No" and presumably many customers were, or thought they were being moved to Ebico, RHE then announced that RHE would be having an even larger price hike than SSE, the only benefit for going to RHE being a gain of non-contractual fixed rate for a few months. This was a fact that Ebico neglected to tell customers when contemplating what was in their best interests.

I cannot account for how people judge the ethics in all this but I have the impression that Ebico aren't really now too interested in it's original remit of ethics and care for people in fuel poverty etc, but they have a nice little business creaming off a percentage and that seems to be their new real interest ..... in my opinion. It also seems to me that with Ebico's move many people have been left in a state of bewilderment and confusion, many of whom do not even at this moment know who is going to be their supplier. I cannot see much of a decent argument for saying the SSE has caused that confusion. All they did was rightly say "no" when Ebico said that customers would move automatically unless they objected.

Anyway, each will make their own minds up.
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember there used to be an Ebico representative on MSE a canny few years ago, I wonder why he/she vanished from the site. If he/she was still around we could have cleared all the confusion up as it appears many including myself are a little lost on who to switch to.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mee wrote: »

Indeed, like most suppliers are with their variable tariffs (for electricity in particular)

However, Ebico (supplied by RHE) have guaranteed their prices until December 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure