We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

GREAT 0% BARCLAYCARD HUNT!

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The stand is back in Cannon Park, Coventry.
    £50 minimum spend though. >:(
    Stay Away!
  • chewie
    chewie Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did anyone see my last post?

Barclays said that the min spend has an interest rate of 13.9% added. I'd rather get a 6 month Interest free card.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Love this site!

Long live Matin Lewis.
  • beefster
    beefster Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right for all you desperado's I've got..................... a big bundle of the N0% blue forms with no min payment mentioned. You just have "to use your card each month". I take it these are the 1p ones?
    Anyway i went to the branch on the corner of Spitalfields market and Commercial St, london E1 (Nr Liverpool st station) and showed them my old used form and asked for a few more and they went out the back and got me a couple. So I went back and asked 4/5 times over the last two days and I've now got a nice little pile of em which i am quite willing to pass on to any busty blondes....... sorry deserving members out there. PM me with an address and i on recieving a SAE will post them on until I have none left. Plse put N0% in msge title. Ta.
    I have not found them too hard to come by once you know what you are looking for. I have obtained 16 so far from various branches on my travels from Brighton to central London. Its much easier if you have an old form to show the barclays staff. Can someone scan a front cover from one for people to download????

;););););););););););););););););););););););););)
    I save so I can spend.
  • Andrea
    Andrea Posts: 368 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler Newshound! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Ooh Beefster,

Can I put in a word for Rochdale Guy in case he doesn't see this in time. Please do pm him. He's been hunting for one of these for ages and he keeps getting missed. I'm sure he'd be stoked if you could send him one. You'll be able to find a post from him further back in this thread. You can pm him from there.

Andrea :)
  • wozza_2
    wozza_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I would just like to mention that I have managed to send Rochdale Guy one of these forms, that I got from my local Barclays in Tonbridge, Kent.

It turned out that they did have some of these.......

Regards
    Wozza (Warren)
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Rochdale_Guy Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh Beefster,

Can I put in a word for Rochdale Guy in case he doesn't see this in time.  Please do pm him.  He's been hunting for one of these for ages and he keeps getting missed.  I'm sure he'd be stoked if you could send him one.  You'll be able to find a post from him further back in this thread.  You can pm him from there.

Andrea  :)

Hi Andrea, what can I say except thankyou so much! I can't believe how kind you are. However, thanks to another great poster on here wozza, I now have a form !!!!!!!

You guys are the best ! ;D

I'll never forget the generousity and kindness you've shown me, cheers.

Let's hope I get accepted now eh ?! ;)
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    Rochdale Guy,

Here's what I'd do.

- Transfer the Tesco and Capital One balances to the A&L card, which is cheaper and whose post-promotion rate is unlikely to be significantly worse than what you're being charged by Tesco and C1 now anyway.

- Next, ask MBNA if they're doing for-life balance transfers, and if so, at what rate. If they are, and that rate is less than what you're paying on any of your Barclaycard, Natwest and Amex balances, transfer them in that order (i.e. costliest first) to your MBNA card.

- If you draw a blank with MBNA, ask Amex if they're still doing any for-life offers like the one you're on. Tell them you've had a for-life offer from someone else and you're thinking of switching, but if Amex match it you'd switch some more to them. If they agree, switch your BC and NatWest balances to them.

- If Amex won't play ball, ask NatWest the same thing and see if you can switch some BC debt to their rate.

- Don't transfer any of the Amex, NatWest or BC balances to the A&L offer or to any offer which is not life-of-balance. This is because the A&L offer is only cheaper for a few months and thereafter may go up to 14% or so. If you transferred the above three balances to your A&L, you'd get a small short-term benefit, but as a result will probably lose the life-of-balance deal you currently have on those cards. If you're having trouble getting new cards you won't be able to replace those deals. It's worth doing for the C1 and Tesco cards, because you are already on a crummy rate, but those other three are your cheapest source of credit right now and are worth keeping.

- If none of the above works, call all three again and ask outright for an interest rate reduction, again mentioning that you've been offered a cheaper deal elsewhere. If they grant you one, make sure to confirm that the lower rate is also life-of-balance and that it isn't a short-term offer which cancels the existing life-of-balance deal.

- If anyone offers you a life-of-balance deal as cheap as the Amex package, transfer that too. This is worth doing even if the interest rate is the same and not better - it means you can get back to using that Amex as a 1% cashback card.

- If you are able to make extra payments, always pay extra to the costliest cards first.

- You may soon find you're in the position of having a number of cards you no longer use. You might want to think about cancelling some of those. The process of credit checking is a closely guarded secret and varies from one bank to another, but there seems to be some evidence that having a lot of apparently available credit can harm your credit status. Lenders are sometimes reluctant to lend to someone who's already got a lot of credit relative to their income, because it suggests that you're having trouble with money if you need even more. You've got seven cards and you have been trying to get an eighth, which may have frightened them.

This can also work the other way though, weirdly. Nationwide recently told me they'd increase my card limit if I showed them statements that proved it was much higher with my other card providers. So in that instance they found it reassuring that I had loads of unused credit. But then again, I was an existing customer and not an unknown quantity.

- Once you've managed your existing credit cards down to say 3 or 4, you may find it easier to get new ones. The only downside to cancelling old cards is that you may miss out on the promotional offers for existing customers - but equally, if you phone up to cancel, this may actually prompt them into talking you out of leaving by offering you a deal to stay. So there's really no reason to keep the old ones.

Not forgetting an equally huge eternal thanks to western promise for that above brilliant post.

I'll re-read it all again tomorrow when I can give it some serious attention, but for now, a huge thanks again to you and everyone else on this forum for their kindness, help and understanding. I really didn't think I'd get through this debt repaying mess I'm in but you guys (and gals!) have really given me hope.

I love you all !  :-* ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Right for all you desperado's I've got..................... a big bundle of the N0% blue forms with no min payment mentioned. You just have "to use your card each month". I take it these are the 1p ones?
    Anyway i went to the branch on the corner of Spitalfields market and Commercial St, london E1 (Nr Liverpool st station) and showed them my old used form and asked for a few more and they went out the back and got me a couple. So I went back and asked 4/5 times over the last two days and I've now got a nice little pile of em which i am quite willing to pass on to any busty blondes....... sorry deserving members out there. PM me with an address and i on recieving a SAE will post them on until I have none left. Plse put N0% in msge title. Ta.
    I have not found them too hard to come by once you know what you are looking for. I have obtained 16 so far from various branches on my travels from Brighton to central London. Its much easier if you have an old form to show the barclays staff. Can someone scan a front cover from one for people to download????

;););););););););););););););););););););););););)

Dear Beefster,

Just seen this site and can't believe your generosity. Please e-mail me the address so I can send you an SAE for a leaflet too. Believe your offer applies to me as I'm blonde & curvy ;-)) Much apprecitated. Many tks.

TTFN
    Antoinette
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    Hiya again folks :D

Not wanting to be ungrateful but that 0% no minimum montly spend application that wozza sent me has a Barclaycard VISA on the cover.... and not the MASTERCARD.

I already have a Barclaycard Gold VISA so is this form of no use to me seeing as I don't / can't apply for another VISA ???

Help please ASAP ???

Secondly, off-topic here (I will start another thread over in "Credit Cards" soon I swear), I rang Alliance & Leicester and tranferred the money off my Tesco and Capital One cards over to this offer @ 3.9% until 24th March 2004 ;D

Result = £0 balance on my TESCO card, and my CAPITAL ONE card too :)

Just gotta make sure I pay off the new A&L balance of £225 before 24th March... shouldn't be a problem, touch wood ;)

Am about to try phoning up MBNA now and ask them about any "for life" balance transfer deals they can offer me seeing as I have a £0 balance on that with a nice £4,300 credit limit.

Cheers,
    RochdaleGuy

P.S. These transfers to the A&L card will take 5 days she told me, plus the downside is I got charged 2 separate handling fees (small as they are) >:( :

£2.78 for the £185 Tesco balance + £2.00 for the Capital One balance..... oh well. It is only 3.9% APR though for the new total :)

P.P.S. The girl I spoke to actually said "...this is MBNA handling your A&L account" which was a shock to me !

What if it's the same girl when I phone up about my MBNA account ? :o Nah, it can't be... can it !!!!

Later ! ;D ;)
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    Damn MBNA >:(

I have one of their cards, and even with a ZERO balance at the moment plus a credit limit of £4,300, they are not shifting one bit to help me....

I phoned them up and asked about transferring a balance from another card to my MBNA card, pointing out that the current ads. offer 0% finance for 9 months for new customers, so what could they do for me please.

Diddly squat that's what >:(

I was told I was currently on a 1.9% APR balance transfer rate but that runs out on November 17th and they couldn't offer me anything else. The 0% for 9 months is only for new customers, they cannot match that for existing ones, even though I have been a good "customer".

So, I mentioned about closing my account if they can't offer me anything at all, and after 5 minutes on hold, he comes back saying we can offer you 13% APR on a new balance transfer.

Needless to say I was totally insulted, so said right then, I want to close my account. He put me through to another patronising employee and I ended up backing out and saying oh I haven't got time, I'll call back another time to close my account with them >:(

Not impressed at all.
    RochdaleGuy

"We don't do for life balance transfers....", he also snottily said >:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills