We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

People thinking that you think that you are better than them

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    As for splitting meal costs. If you agree to eat out as a group then be prepared to split the bill. Nothing more embarrassing than watching a bill being itemised whilst sitting at the table. If it irks you to do this then request a separate bill at the start and be prepared not be asked out again. If you can't afford it, then stay at home. If someone offers to pay the bill (this is different to feeling obligated to) then be gracious, accept the offer and make sure you pay the full bill next time.
    There's a lot of posters who disagree with you (and a lot who agree) on this thread:
    Person_one wrote: »
    I suspect this thread could end up being a repeat of this 105 page one if we're not careful! :rotfl:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5440372&highlight=splitting+the+bill&page=105
    Personally, I don't see why someone should stay at home because they may want to order just a main course and drink soda & lime and other people want to eat 3 courses, have a whole bottle of wine to themselves and finish with a liqueur coffee - and expect the first person pay an equal share of the bill.

Why should the first person be the one to request a separate bill and be prepared not to be asked out again rather than the 2nd person?
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Friends I go out with are quite happy not to split the bill. Nothing embarrassing about it at all.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just not my thing at all .... If you go out then just seems polite and sensible to split the bill evenly ... unless a mix of singles and couples.

Mind you ... ive seen couples divide their own bill between themselves whilst out in a group .... whats that all about?? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure