We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

People thinking that you think that you are better than them

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You find it insulting, I don't.
    I don't find it rude, I find it direct.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite.... I had to go and search for the thread about weddings people were talking about to see this comment about the popcorn machine. I see it was a different user name.

A-Duck - that didn't come across as arrogant to me. That sounded like you had ideas about making the day as special as you could. Who doesn't? Yes, these are trimmings, and trimmings are things you can scale back on or go improv on. And you wouldn't be the only one with the circus-theme. I designed my own big-top style invites (which was a pain actually - should have bought the envelopes first!), but thanks to friends and my own crafting skills I had a band and DJs and a cake all done for me. I made my own chocolate favours, I made my own table decorations and name cards, and did an elaborate hand-drawn table planner and card box.

You strike me as being logical, try to please people round you, but may not hit the mark when it comes to reading emotions of people you are not very used to. (And this happens all the time when reading emails, blogs and forum posts, folks!) You may be a little judgemental, but that's a trait we all have. Cousins, class... well mine are all very different, and I've lost count of the cousins' kids. There are hundreds of us it seems, all very different, but can rub along quite well. If they call you posho, don't take it to heart, just try to understand the place it comes from for them, which isn't necessarily you. Don't be tempted to snub, flounce or cry... maybe a joke will break the ice.

It's not a Golf, it's a Golfadoodle... half Golf, half-pot noodle. Seems to go faster with mango sauce. GTi, great, tangy ingredient.

This watch? (Do a Christopher Walken impression)

I'm like you, I think... I asked all my mates about cheap breaks last week because I fancied a break. Got loads of suggestions. Next day, I thought about it: oh yeah, still paying off this roof. No hols for me...

Doesn't hurt to dream...
    Home improvement payments £16.6K to go

June Grocery Challenge: £135.06/250

Decluttering 1211/2024 Awards 🥇
    (03/06/24)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    wishus wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite.... I had to go and search for the thread about weddings people were talking about to see this comment about the popcorn machine. I see it was a different user name.
    It may have been a different user who started that wedding thread that I referred to but it was the OP of this thread who posted this on that thread:
    Wish I could afford extras. In fact, it is looking more and more likely I will have to take out a loan to complete the wedding. We were planning to have a popcorn machine, caricature artist, candy floss and fireworks.
  • wishus
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    You find it insulting, I don't.
    I don't find it rude, I find it direct.

This is interesting. 'Direct' is a positive 'blue' personality trait, if you've ever done one of those Dynamic personality tests. The downside is that Red types may overthink the reason for directness and perceive it as a slight, but none was meant at all.

(03/06/24)
  • wishus
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It may have been a different user who started that wedding thread that I referred to but it was the OP of this thread who posted this on that thread:
    Yes, that's the one I saw. Thanks, Pollycat.

I mixed up him and Aylesbury Duck! :rotfl:

Apologies, everyone! :A

(03/06/24)
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    wishus wrote: »
    Yes, that's the one I saw. Thanks, Pollycat.

I mixed up him and Aylesbury Duck! :rotfl:

Apologies, everyone! :A
    I was a tad confuzzled.:rotfl:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does sound like jealousy or insecurity on their part. I'd never ask how much someone's watch cost, its irrelevant and rude. They only want to know so they can compare how they are doing compared to you.
    Unfortunately a lot of people are very materialistic and can't cope with others peoples success. A true friend would be pleased for your success and not make fun of you or put you down. Can't choose family though eh?!
    I have an in law who is so pompous. He would always try to convince us to do things he would never do such a buy a house in a rubbish area, send our child to a failing school etc etc. First time I met him for dinner I took a bottle of wine round. He came into the lounge offering drinks. When I asked for a red wine he said he would give me one of his as its better (I think he meant more expensive) than the one I brought! Some people just can't stop comparing but I figure they must be unhappy to always be like that. Live your life the way you want and ignore the jealously. As Usher said ' you know your doing good coz they're jealous' ! Ha ha!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Does sound like jealousy or insecurity on their part. I'd never ask how much someone's watch cost, its irrelevant and rude. They only want to know so they can compare how they are doing compared to you.
    If anyone - friend or family - asked me what I'd paid for anything, I wouldn't tell them.
    It's nobody else's business and I'm surprised the OP actually gave an answer.
    Unfortunately a lot of people are very materialistic and can't cope with others peoples success. A true friend would be pleased for your success and not make fun of you or put you down. Can't choose family though eh?!
    It wasn't a friend though, it was a cousin.
    Not all family can be classed as a friend.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seriously!
    Offence taken.:mad:

Wow

Are you a professional offence taker?

The question wasn't directed to you

Hey, not only do I have aspergers my family are Muslim. I read a lot of carp comments about Muslims on this board. I could spend all day being offended but hey, I'm a grown up and accept others have different views. I ignore them unless directed to me in a derogatory way

Suggest you grow up as well
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    I am offended you shared so much info about yourself!

suki1964 wrote: »
    Wow

Are you a professional offence taker?

The question wasn't directed to you

Hey, not only do I have aspergers my family are Muslim. I read a lot of carp comments about Muslims on this board. I could spend all day being offended but hey, I'm a grown up and accept others have different views. I ignore them unless directed to me in a derogatory way

Suggest you grow up as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family