We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt Demolisher

Options

Comments

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Morning all

Hope you all had a lovely day yesterday :)

We had a very nice day, lots of laughs and spent some much needed quality time together as a family. Life is so busy that everyone is like passing ships in the night so it made a lovely change.

Onto the Christmas dinner :eek: an absolute joke. An hours delay (some people had 2 hour delay). To even get seated, after a lot of complaining by many families we were taken to a dirty table with no cutlery, table cloth, Christmas crackers etc. Just a bare table.

The poor waitressing staff were having a nightmare trying to deal with everything, I felt so sorry for them, not a manager in sight and quite a few families especially ones with small children and a couple who had elderly relatives having to stand for long periods left without even having a meal :mad: How terrible!

We eventually had a roast dinner, which was nice to be fair but no starter or dessert. The poor staff literally couldn’t manage the amount of people so we just grabbed a plate and had the Carvery.

We left feeling cheated but managed to not let it ruin the whole day. Although on a regular Sunday the roast dinners costs around £10. We paid £56 per head :eek:

I promptly put a complaint in asking for a refund minus the cost of a regular roast dinner and had an email straight away saying ‘we have recently had a large amount of complaints and will be in touch within 7 days. I’m not surprised.

Today I am cooking so at least I know our guests will be fed properly
    The house looks like we’ve been burgled and our shower is like :eek: but I wouldn’tve changed it at all :)
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • motivated
    Options
    Quick update on yesterdays fiasco. Full refund given no questions asked. The manager apologised and accepted that the whole organisation yesterday was unacceptable.

Will be cooking my own next year I think
    M
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good that you got a refund, and such a prompt one. What a shame about the meal (or part-meal). Good that you didn't let it get in the way of the rest of your day though.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • motivated
    Options
    Hi Cherry

The refund hasn’t come through yet even though he said it takes 2 hours. I thought maybe as it was Boxing Day it would go in overnight. It didn’t so I’ve emailed him again this morning giving him the account details etc.

I have a feeling they go that wrong too :p
    Will be chasing it up today
    M
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Just finished reading your diary, well done! Sorry to hear your Christmas lunch was a bit of a disaster. You sound very focused and it sounds like our debt built up in a similar way.
  • motivated
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Hi,
    You sound very focused and it sounds like our debt built up in a similar way.

Hi debtaghh

That’s why I was drawn to your diary, our debt was definitely built up due to silly spending on cards :mad:

I must say I/we have survived a whole year without them so it definitely can be done with budgeting and a little saving here and there.

Looking forward to a new year so I can hopefully really get my teeth into this debt busting

I hope my teeth last as long as I need to get clear of it all :rotfl:

Try to stay positive, I promise it gets easier.
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Refund processed :)

I dread to think the amount of refunds they had to process over the last couple of days. I’m grateful that they refunded without question though, I think they knew they were on to a loser straight away.

Anyway it’s snowing here mixed in with rain and gale force winds :eek: Very, very cold today but I intend on staying in the warm and relaxing. I think our guests may be staying another night which will be nice but they have a very long drive back up North and the weather is looking to get worse by tomorrow. They are still tucked up in bed and will see what they think when they emerge.
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Morning diary world

Our visitors have now left and the house seems very quiet now. Since Christmas Eve It’s been noisy, messy and crowded but I wouldnt have changed it. DD and SIL ended up staying an extra day as I was planning on going back with them but a change of plan and they stayed here longer :)

It’s been a lovely Christmas in the motivated household and have spent some much needed quality time together as a family. Something we don’t really do enough of as life just gets n the way.

DH has been stricken down (his words) lol with toothache :eek:
    He’s off to the dentist this afternoon. The tooth is loose and needs to come out but he needs lots of work doing and will be booking some much needed dentistry work. We are looking at the band 3 package which is £244.30 :eek: Just what you need straight after Christmas. Will be budgeting and saving for this so already we have another short term goal but know we can do it with careful planning.

We did get our Christmas dinner refund so that will help massively.

I offered to sort his teeth out for nothing but he politely declined. :rotfl:

Will be looking at budgets and accounts this afternoon and see how it’s all going.
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    We’re back and the Dentist couldn’t remove the tooth as he has an infection £20.80 to get a prescription which costs £8.60 :eek: Anyway they can’t take him as a new patient until approx 2 years time :rotfl:

He says his previous dentist was very spiteful so wants to join a new one but the way it’s looking no one is taking new NHS patients as they are too booked up.

Will keep looking
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Well DH has decided to go back to his original Dentist as we had no luck getting him signed up to a new one. Will need to make sure we have the funds ready for it as it’s not going to be cheap :eek:
    Appointment next week and will be seriously looking at budgets now.
    DS offered the money for the Dentist and said pay me back when you’ve got it :A But I don’t want to borrow full stop, I want to start the new year with a positive start so will be budgeting for it or we will never learn.

Friday again and about to do our budget for the week ahead, will be writing a list for Lidl as we don’t need much shopping at all so don’t want to be tempted to overdo it.

It’s pouring with rain here and absolutely freezing :eek: I intend on popping to Lidl very quickly then coming home and plan our finances as the next time DH gets paid it will be 2018 and our serious debt busting begins :dance:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport