PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have spent £38 on topping up at coop over the last few days. It soon disappears on top ups. Hopefully will get a trip to Aldi soon to do a proper stock up.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think we have found a house. Yaaay!. Just need to go through the process now of form filling and references and credit checking etc. Hopefully this means we will be in our own place in a couple of weeks though. Yippeeee! Then the budgeting starts. It's going to be fun having to start with no larder at all. Boooooo!

Hope you all have a great day.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Popped to town for a few odds and ends, £25 spent, ys meats bumped it up, but got pork joint, lamb joint, minced beef and some chicken thighs for the dog,
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my grocery shop on the 14th was slightly bigger than I thought it would be and came in at £24.70, thinking about it now I'm not sure what I bought but I know I had 2 huge groaning bags of groceries .
    my sister and hubby are staying this week and have dug throo the freezer and found vegetarian curries for tonight but she's asked for veggie sausages and cabbage tomorrow that i'll have to buy.
    hopefully next weeks shop will be small as still pulling ufos out of the freezer. my month doesn't finish til the 29th so think i'll be over budget.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Small spend of £2.52 on bananas (always buying bananas - you'd think I had a pet monkey rather than a 4 year old), plums and peppers.

£67.87/£100
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon all - have not checked in for a while but updated totals for month and still in budget. Few small shops to supplement freezer and storecupboard in between being away.

Thought it would have been lower but noticed have had multiple 'small' shops which soon add up. Only 9 NSD's so far but away from Sunday for five days with all meals included so should catch up....

Using up until then and have beef stew in SC just now and using up fruit bowl for crumbles. Freezer is looking clearer but no panic yet.

Hope all keeping warm - howling wind and chilly here today
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did my Ald1 then Tesc0 run last night. Realised I could have made it a lot cheaper by not doing the soup I'vebeen craving for next week - but hey, it's done now.

Bought super6 oranges in Ald1 for 65p - only, when I checked my receipt just now I found they charged me £1.45!! I've posted on their FB page so hopefully will get some kind of credit. Fuming really as I only needed 1 orange, but as they are 40p for a singleone in Mr T I figured I'd get the super 6 ones then can use them the week after as well! Shot myself in the foot there.

Having one of my favourite things for tea tonight and lunch tomorrow - Goddess Bowl from Oh She glows. Out for tea tomorrow night, and not home for lunch on Sunday as it's an open day at the rescue I help at, so will probably end up with chips. Recipes from Sunday night onwards are:

Lunches - Summer Vegetable Pesto Soup
    Dinners - Chickpea and Kale Stew, Succotash Pilaf, and Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad

Yes, I've gone £50 over budget. BUT this is £30 less than I average per month, so I'm seeing it as an improvement. Plus, I've kept myself topped up with stuff instead of letting it all run down and meaning I need to have a very spendy first shop next month, so that should have a knock on effect and even out my spending a bit.

My April starts from next Friday. *Technically* no more spends needed.

Not declaring till Thursday, but as it stands I'm on £170.47 / £120

Think I will work to a higher budget from now on. I'm fed up of being so far off.
    I'm looking at this like my actual spends tend to be around £200 a month regardless of budget set, so £170 is an improvement. I'll have a think about what I can sensibly set for April.

Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining (from £120 budget)
    24 Feb.....M&S.......£03.10.....£116.90 (reduced hot nibbles)
    24 Feb.....A1d1......£08.27.....£108.63 (proper grocery shop)
    24 Feb.....T35c0.....£53.56.....£55.07 (proper grocery shop)
    25 Feb.....H&B.......£04.93.....£50.14 (2x nutirional yeast - planned)
    25 Feb.....T35c0.....£00.93.....£49.21 (veg suetas forgot on Thursday)
    27 Feb.....T35c0.....£06.60.....£42.61 (EXTRA BITS - not on meal plan, but incorporated leftovers!)
    2 Mar......A1d1......£08.23.....£34.38 (proper grocery shop)
    2 Mar......T35c0.....£15.40.....£18.98 (proper grocery shop)
    5 Mar......M&S.......£01.07.....£17.91 (potato)
    6 Mar......Tesc0.....£01.00.....£16.91 (loaf)
    7 Mar......Tesc0.....£06.79.....£10.12 (YS veg + rest of proper shop + Rennie)
    9 Mar......A1d1......£09.96.....£00.16 (proper grocery shop)
    9 Mar......T35c0.....£30.22....-£30.06 (proper grocery shop)
    10 Mar.....Te5c0.....£01.70....-£31.76 (bread)
    16 Mar......A1d1......£07.77....-£39.53 (proper grocery shop)
    16 Mar......T35c0.....£10.94....-£50.47 (proper grocery shop)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Standing at £23.28 for the month:D But I have been away for most of it and I've no idea what I'm going to find when I get home tomorrow. I can't even meal plan which is frustrating me.

Hopefully DH will have eaten some of what I left rather than living on pizza.

I'll need to fridge/freezer/cupboard audit before I plan, and shop. If I can, I'd like to just need milk, F&V before Tuesday, but we will see.:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm at £226.05 after more milk and some peppered salami for HM pizzas last night. They were OK but the "crust" was floppy to say the least! How can I get the crust to be crisp, does it need cooking in advance before the topping goes on??

Spanish omelette tonight. If I wasn't doing the challenge I would probably have bought something to do quickly, so it is making me think about what I've already got - finally...

Happy meal planning everyone! I've made a list of 28, going to try to pick 7 for next week that don't have a million ingredients - 2 more shops in the month, need to trim the list down a bit.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    Hi all x

Total fail tonight as we had a chippy tea but it was lovely. So that's another £23 out of the budget. Will be doing a shop on Sunday so everything could go a bit Pete tong!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport