PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »

I used up a whole load of wilting greenery (lettuce, mixed leaves and kale) by making it into a pesto with cashews, garlic and oil last night. It was really nice with pasta and some fried up bits of other veg that needed using (celery, onions, broccoli). There's still some left for another meal as well.

I also got organised this morning and put some pizza dough on in the breadmaker before going to work so we can have a movie and pizza night tonight...

HM pizzas - keep forgetting to do those! Great way of stretching small amounts of toppings. Thanks. The pesto sounds lovely too, I definitely have some wilting stuff I could use.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Dharma_Bunny
    Options
    *Margaret* wrote: »

It's difficult to plan if you're not sure what you were spending before - you've surely spent less so that's a positive. At the end of this month you can tot up your spends and you'll have a better idea of where the money is going and what to aim for :)
    Save
    Save

Yes, it's good that I know I have cut down and I think I can see other places in the grocery budget I can cut back now we've tackled the obvious. :-)

Meg72, I'd love that price! As I don't drive we're a bit limited to fitting the potato run in on a Saturday and it's a local business so I don't mind so much. They're always good spuds too and I've had issues with other places I've tried in the past.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't £2.50 for 250ml a good price for the green hand wash? I thought that was rather good (someone selling packs of four for £9.99)

I saw the same, and it's not, no. Mr T full price is (was) £1.80 but usually they would have them on offer for £1!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. There is some seriously impressive budgeting going on out there - well done :)
    I'm sadly not a member of that group this month as I'm up to £105.65/£140:eek: it could be the serious restock I needed after my ultra frugal Feb or it could be including wine and beer in my GC for the first time!!:o
    Either way, it's gonna be tight:rotfl:

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got a large meat order this week but save separately for that. I have a cashback reward for on my current account and save that every month so I can treat myself to online butcher meat.
    This week a spend of £24 mainly on F&V, cheese, pet supplies and mould remover! So total so far is £96/£150- think I might go a few quid over but not by much still much less than I previously spent as a minimum. I suspect it will take a few months for me to get more accurate with this
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here - still recovering from my massive shop yesterday :eek:

HM Chilli and garlic bread - all from scratch ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Husband spent £1.80 on milk and two bottles of own brand cola yesterday. Wish I could cure him of his fizzy drink habit, I only drink water myself (well unless I'm having alcohol) so it's just a massive waste of money to me (plus ridiculously unhealthy). He has zero interest in stopping the habit though and he is very good in other ways so I suppose I shouldn't moan :o

Up at £71.35 / £120 with three weekly shops left :eek: (damn this five week month) to I can't see how I can possibly come under budget, I'll do my best though!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    Hi all x

Been rubbish at keeping up with the thread, sorry.

I've done a few bits of shopping, tinned toms, bread, milk fruit, veg, cooked meats and irn bru:o but nothing much as I'm trying to make some room in the freezer.

I'm thinking of buying a water filter we dislike our tap water, I'd like to get rid of the fizzy drinks they cost far too much and rot my teeth. Does anyone have any recommendations of which one to buy?
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Doing fine over here, except that my Mum wants to share a Costco run with me next week. I love Costco and it's her card, so I do need to fit it in with her, but it's not in my budget! Can I go and only buy my beloved hot sauce and some lunch things I'd buy anyway? Probably not, but let's find out.

I'm also aware that my budget next week has to somehow include a whole bunch of cleaning supplies. It's not looking good...
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I'm thinking of buying a water filter we dislike our tap water, I'd like to get rid of the fizzy drinks they cost far too much and rot my teeth. Does anyone have any recommendations of which one to buy?
    My water is vile, so bad over Christmas I complained bitterly, the smell of chemicals when filling the kettle etc, I drink my coffee black no sugar, I have noticed people who take sugar don`t notice the taste.
    Since Christmas all my water goes through the filter jug even for cooking, I have had my jugs for years, one Britax the other from Aldi, they take the same slim filters, both as good as the other, wherever cheapest I would say, it`s the filters doing the job, instructions say replace monthly, I have had the same filter in since Christmas and still no taste, I will change when it starts tasting again. I keep my eye open for filters on sale and usually get a box of 3 from Wilkos in the Jan sale.
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport