PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    I decided at the beginning of the month to try to only buy in £100 of groceries (excluding the milk bill) during March. Really pleased that I stayed under! I don't have an exact amount as I gave dd £10 for some shopping and she got some bits of her own too.

Of course this was only possible due to all the existing cupboard and freezer stock; however, I am still delighted that this covered 3 adults for almost all our meals. Next month I will try for £150 and see how I go.

Wish I could say that the bank balance has benefitted but unfortunately my savings were swallowed up by other costs.

Thank you all for the inspiration :T
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April 2017 at 9:22PM
    Options
    This week went really well, once I had a good look through our fresh food the only thing on my list was bananas, I went shopping and only bought bananas, in fact I didn't look at anything else, 80p spent out of my predicted £20 :j On Friday we needed to travel through the rush hour so our plan had been to go for a meal through the worst of it, as the roads were a lot clearer than expected we drove home picking up a takeaway instead, £30.50 spent when we were hoping to keep it below £80 :j Another bonus of having a takeaway is we have enough for tonight :j meaning we will move tonight planned meal to further in the month into one of the 3 gaps.

Spends: £31.50
    Monday £0.80
    Friday £30.50 takeaway

Remaining: £138.23

Day 23 of my March challenge 17 NSD.

I had planned to go shopping yesterday, but by using UHT milk and excepting the only fresh fruit being apples, oranges and bananas I have delayed it to Monday, also helps that OH makes our bread and we have the ingredients in stock at all times. Today I need to make a list of everything we need until Friday, so I can get up and shop first thing Monday.

My March came to an end on the 31st.

This week's spends went like this:
    Friday 24/3: £106.70 Supermarkets
    Monday 27/3 £58.00 Meal out
    Thursday 30/3 £43.04 Wholesaler

Spends £207.74

March spends: £498.80
    Groceries: £296.23
    Wholesale: £102.07
    Eating out / takeaways: £100.50

NSD's 12/35 which is okay, but I would like to do better.

As my budget for March was only £381.63, I have overspent by a massive £117.17, I am going to take this off April's budget so I try and control the damage.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    My final March total was €296.17 / €200. Phooey. I deliberately upped the limit to €250 for April, just in case. At least I had 12 NSD though. See y'all on the April thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure