PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Re nasty water. I bought a kettle with a filter, so i don't have more things cluttering up the place. I can pour water from the kettle or flip it to boil it. Added advantage is that i only fill one jug, so no waiting around for the one to filter before filling the kettle and no descaling the kettle.

No spends by us since Monday.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Small spends in Morries £13-40, top up my tonic water and a kilo piece of rump steak, on special, going to have a go at beef jerky.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Hi all

Just realised I haven't bored you all with a giant post for nearly a week so time to rectify that!

Just kidding, I'm just updating mybudgets. I'm over now, but the reason for a spendy time in Mr T last week was because I bought a load more stock pots as they are on offer - so £4 of the £30 odd went on them, plus my little choc pots were on offer with a long expiry, so another £4 on those alone! Few other more expensive bits in there too, but I didn't shop off plan really as it's all stuff that'll get used.

I just have tonight's shop to go and that should be my last one for the month as I get paid next Friday (so will shop a day late next week). Tonight shouldn't be a huge shop as I have two "main" bits made plus the makings of two other "mains". I have some veggies leftover as well.

Actually, looking at it properly, I just need to decide on what to make for me and mum next wednesday (I always make something "extra nice"), and apart from that just need to sort dinner for 4nights (if I include Friday) plus make some kind of soup for weekday lunches.

Definitely spent a lot less this month, and although I have had the odd extra visit to grab 1 or 2 items, I can really tell I've stayed out of the shops a lot this month. Perhaps most notably, I have managed not to have any nights where I've thought I'm hungry and tired and CBA and ended up buying up every vegan convenience food. Which is a huge step forward as I reckon I did that maybe twice a month usually!

Other big thing is that I have planned properly and all beans I've used (which have been a lot this month) have been dried except for kidney as I always buy them tinned. Also, the only vegan convenience food I've used this month has been 3 packs of linda m sausages, and that could have been 2 really. No tofu, no other "meats". I'm sure this has gone a long way to saving some pennies!

Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining (from £120 budget)
    24 Feb.....M&S.......£03.10.....£116.90 (reduced hot nibbles)
    24 Feb.....A1d1......£08.27.....£108.63 (proper grocery shop)
    24 Feb.....T35c0.....£53.56.....£55.07 (proper grocery shop)
    25 Feb.....H&B.......£04.93.....£50.14 (2x nutirional yeast - planned)
    25 Feb.....T35c0.....£00.93.....£49.21 (veg suetas forgot on Thursday)
    27 Feb.....T35c0.....£06.60.....£42.61 (EXTRA BITS - not on meal plan, but incorporated leftovers!)
    2 Mar......A1d1......£08.23.....£34.38 (proper grocery shop)
    2 Mar......T35c0.....£15.40.....£18.98 (proper grocery shop)
    5 Mar......M&S.......£01.07.....£17.91 (potato)
    6 Mar......Tesc0.....£01.00.....£16.91 (loaf)
    7 Mar......Tesc0.....£06.79.....£10.12 (YS veg + rest of proper shop + Rennie)
    9 Mar......A1d1......£09.96.....£00.16 (proper grocery shop)
    9 Mar......T35c0.....£30.22....-£30.06 (proper grocery shop)
    10 Mar.....Te5c0.....£01.70....-£31.76 (bread)

Just looking at this I've decided my new goal is to keep up the weeklies in A1d1 and Mr T as they work very well indeed, and my new goal is to only have ONE extra shop in a week, so if I forget something or run out or whatever I have to think just go once. I notice two extras were just for bread, and the reason is because I was planning to make bread those weeks but didn't get onto it. So I need to think about that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here :)

Trying a new recipe for Belly pork tonight Shanghai style Pork- loads of veg in veggie noodles too :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DH and I have been felled by sickness bug this week so we have eaten the easy bits and still have stuff in to make some meals.

A quick tot up puts us on £263.21/£400 and breaks down roughly as:

£24.83 Lunches
    £65.72 Beer and wine
    £13.00 Chinese
    £172.66 Food, laundry, toiletries, cleaning and dog food
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did a mini shop today, after 5 NSDs. Spent £6, not too bad. Just want to get some breakfast muffins to see me through to the end of the months and then some serious meal planning on the menu. Not too much left in the kitty, but I am on track. Have updated sig.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd again yesterday, only spent £8 out of the £80 monthly budget so far. will be shopping sunday tho....xxx
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    Hi all x

Oh spent £8.20 last night at f@rmf00ds on bread, milk and chocolate :mad: that's what I get for sending him!
    Trying for a Nsd today as I should have everything in.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popped in to update sig for last week. Hope everyone is ok.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    £25.05 on vegbox plus extras (fresh ginger, avocado etc).
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport