PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Hi All
    Caught up on everyone's posts to here - looks like all doing well. :)I'm still within my budget - about £30 left until the end of the month after doing this weeks shop and I have some HM freezer meals that will last into the following week as well. I got the Morrisons butchers pack for £10 - very good value and multiple meals can be made. 4 pork steak meals, 8 pork roast meals, made 4 portions of spag bol with the minced beef, 4 portions of stew and dumplings with the beef and finally 6 sausages were used on 4 sausage and egg muffins. 24 meat portions for £10!

Enough of my ramblings - £712.52/£3250 spent. I think I'm getting better at stretching food for more meals and my budget includes any food we eat out, toiletries and rabbit food. :j
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:19AM
    Options
    Well so far this month, we are at £196.58/£310.

I've been awful at keeping up with the thread this month (6 pages to read through :eek:) - we've been fixing the garden up for most of it. But we're still under budget; with teeming cupboards and a full freezer.

I am not in the slightest bit green fingered, but I have sowed some cucumber and tomato seeds, so hopefully they'll come to something. My granny used to grow tomatoes and you could never buy anything that tastes anywhere near as good! So I'm excited at the thought of something that tastes as scrumptious.
    Just a quick hello and a realization that feels good: isn't it funny when you get to the point of actually not wanting to spend money?
    I totally agree.

I feel so much happier now than when I was working in town - I used to go out at lunchtime so I had something to do. And, without fail, ended up buying SOMETHING every day. Sometimes (reduced) food from M&S, other times nice little dresses in the sale. All money that was easily afforded, but that I didn't need to spend :)
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    total spends of £31 over the last few days, so have £41 left for this month out of the £80 budget. still got room in the freezer for more bargains but am refraining atm!!! got a big bounty of ys goods from tesco yesterday. xx
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Visiting rellies yesterday £8-40 in local Morries as I had forgotten I said I would bring the veg, and we got a pie and ice cream for dessert.
    Will have to refuel car too,
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all and a happy Monday to everyone!

I spent £5.72 on fruit at the greengrocer over the weekend which included some delicious raspberries that I had with yoghurt and oats this morning for my breakfast. Yum! I resisted buying duck eggs as we already have normal eggs in but the old me would definitely have bought them. This board is doing me good!

£73.39/£100
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I'm off to Costco tomorrow but I'm thinking I might approach it as next months' budget: we don't really need much bulk stuff, and my budget's too tight this month for treats, but I only get to go about twice a year. So I might go, but if I don't use anything this month it doesn't count. Am I kidding myself?

Relatedly, do any of you meal plan for a month at a time? I was thinking I might try that in April, but it's a bit intimidating. I'd love to know how you do it, if you do.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Matron_Midge
    Options
    I'm declaring £373.49 for the month.
    I've done really well this month although we had a week away and didn't count the food spends whilst we were there.
    I am expecting April will be a relatively expensive month as I need to replenish dishwasher tabs, sack of potatoes, washing powder and baking supplies.
    See you on the April thread.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a small shop for me bread, carrots and bean sprouts £1.95. All other meals planned in for this week. I know I've busted my target but I'm doing ok. Just needing to think things through a bit more.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    do any of you meal plan for a month at a time? I was thinking I might try that in April, but it's a bit intimidating. I'd love to know how you do it, if you do.

I do, I keep it very simple and also use it so I don't repeat too many of the same meals, it also means I can use up things from the fridge and if I'm pushed for time I can do something quickly. You will find your own way of doing things, what suits you best, but this is what I do and it suits us, I find it flexible, it fits in with our lifestyle/work, I have very little waste and not much stress in deciding what to put on the table on a daily basis.

I use an excel spreadsheet.
    In our case (but other families will have differing criteria) I list each month 32 lunches, 32 dinners, 32 desserts, breakfast is always the same.
    I then pick and choose something from each list to cook/eat each day, but I always check the fridge first to see what needs using up and work around that. I keep a fairly well stocked store cupboard so have plenty of other ingredients. Veg is mostly fresh or home grown and in the freezer, same with fruit. When a particular meal is used I delete it.
    I cook from scratch, I batch cook as much as I can and put FR before the meal on the list to indicate it is already cooked and in the freezer. We don't eat much rice or pasta. I have some meals 'not used' by the end of the month.

Give planning a month a go, I spend a couple of hours doing it and sometimes even try out new recipes - keeps ideas fresh.
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Hi armchair, i have shopped at the end of one month, for the next, and billed myself for the stuff used for the items used in either month, i see no problem in it so long as it is billed somewhere!

I plan a month's worth of evening meals, not so much lunch or breakfast though, as there is just two of us, DS gets free school dinner as he is in year 1 and i will have whatever so it doesn't matter much. I've only done this for a couple of months, but i rather like it.

Popped to the shops today. I've kept DS's party food as separate in his party budget. Our grocery spends were £18.92. Party supplies were about the same again, picked up mother's day cards and a new clothes airer as ours lost a leg. Haha.

Total is £128.78/195 with £66.22 left over!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure