PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. £139.26 after last weekend's shop and this week's food tech ingredients. I need milk today so I'm going to be over. I'm going to spend the next 5 days living out of stores although I will need some fresh fruit at the weekend.
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hear you armchairexpert! I've only got the one but he'll go mad for something for a month and then decide he doesn't like it any more only once I've bought 3 packets. I never learn. Luckily I'm not a fussy eater..
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fantastic rant upthread, Ginmonster. Saving money on groceries with small children around is the WORST. My kids aren't so much fussy as they are changeable, so if I find a bargain on wraps they'll go off wraps, and if I bulk buy cornflakes they'll be sick of them by Wednesday. So frustrating. I'm going to feed them spaghetti bolognaise for every meal ever at this rate.

Yes, I agree, very entertaining and true (not the gin bit!)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Forgot to post £60 Aldi spend yesterday - the weeks groceries including cat food and household stuff etc also bought a couple of ready meals for youngest, as we are away for a couple of days next week, and he is working 14 hr days, so a quick 'ping' meal for him for a couple of day won't hurt him.

Am over, but not too worried as DS is now back with us 3 days a week, which I didn't plan for.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2017 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Supermarket shop yesterday evening £21.25 (£6 of which was a bottle of hemp oil) and local shop this morning £1.79 for milk and biccies for workman who will be here for 2 days. Forgot to get it last night as I don't normally buy.

Hadn't bought nuts for a while as have been using stores so noticed a big increase. Food inflation seems to be higher than official numbers are saying.

The other thing I noticed was aisle upon aisle of confectionary, biscuits and cakes - I'm sure it was more than usual. I was looking for coconut milk and savoury biscuits and didn't find either. Couldn't buy birthday cards or blank cards either as they've been put away to make space for mother's day cards.

So, a higher than expected spend and not a lot to show for it.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    In typical small child fashion my son whinged this morning that we don't have any cornflakes in the house, despite the fact that I had to use the last lot up in cakes because he never wanted them, so I promised I'd get some for his breakfast tomorrow. What's the betting he won't want any by tomorrow morning?

Anyhow, I picked up a few other essentials like butter and bananas and a couple of non-essentials like some veggie sausages and nuggets for easy meals when my hubby gets back (he doesn't like cooking and I find having things like that in means I can head off the call for a takeaway). £9.75 spent so still under budget for the month. I think I should be able to make with just over a week to go.

£84.85/£100

Sorry but did have a giggle at the small child as I well remember those days when had little people thought it strange that what used to have me tearing my hair out now makes me giggle LOL the joys of old age eh.
    Slimming World at target
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £68.77 spent on a Mr T delivery today including pet food, soap powder, loo roll and the week's groceries. Annoyed that they had no 0% greek fat yogurt and didn't offer any alternative. This means I will need to go and get some at a shop tonight. The whole point I shopped on line this week was to avoid going in a shop :mad: I would give it a miss but my eating plan contains a lot of 0% fat greek yogurt.

My total is now £442.64/£400 which I am pleased with as the £400 was a challenging target based on my usual spends. May need to add some beers on at the weekend for DH but do not need anything else.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shop of £16 this week mainly F&V, some pet stuff and a huge pack of kitchen roll on special offer. I'm hoping that this will be my last spend of March if I can hold off my next shop until 31/03 when I get paid. total so far is £131/£150.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the plus column for today my boy did eat the much-demanded cornflakes for breakfast this morning. Just in case i was getting complacent he reminded me who is boss by deciding he no longer likes cheese sauce after I'd made cauliflower and broccoli cheese for lunch. Keeps me on my toes! :-)
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will read back everyone's posts in a minute but just wanted to report my figures while I have them on hand - not going so well :rotfl::eek:

£123.90 this month out of an original £120 budget. And I go calendar months and shop on Thursdays so I have another week's shopping to get :eek:

Today in Mr Ts I bought (just listing food here as I'm not counting household stuff for now):

Bananas 1.2kg 83p
    Grapes £2
    Iceburg lettuce 70p
    Garlic 4pk 89p
    Peppers value 4pk 78p
    Onions 1kg 75p
    Butternut squash 90p

Milk 4 pint £1
    Double cream 300ml 95p
    Greek yoghurt 500g £1
    Mature cheddar 350g £2.50

Honey roast ham £1.60

Value tinned tomatoes x2 62p
    Coconut milk x2 £1
    Value spaghetti 20p
    Value tinned sweetcorn 35p
    Tinned mackerel 66p
    Value plain flour 60p
    Dark chocolate 150g x3 £2.25
    Frozen pizza £1.50
    Cola x2 90p

I genuinely am not sure how I could make it much cheaper! The cream and chocolate were for making truffles to give my mum for Mother's Day in lieu of buying an actual present (I have a card I got ages ago and will also get my toddler to paint a card so I've gone for thought over spending money lol). So though not strictly necessary it seemed a frugal way to do things as I would maybe have bought flowers or a fancy box of chocs normally or taken her out for lunch.

The cola is necessary or else I will get divorced by DH :o and the pizza is for him to eat when I'm away Sat night and is again fairly cheap compared to buying him a bit of meat to make a meal which he would have wanted otherwise. I can't really cut back on fruit, veg or dairy any more than I have with a toddler to keep healthy (plus I do like to get at least my 5 a day myself). Didn't buy bread this week so will need to make some - hope I get the time tomorrow or DH will seriously moan about lack of bread :eek:

The only thing I can think is I should have got a gammon earlier in the month to slice and freeze instead of keeping buying ham for DH lunches, I will defo get one next month when the funds are there.

Hope everyone else is having success!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure