Doing it on my own: bobobski's house deposit diary

Options

Comments

• bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    SYA yes it's feed a cold but what happens when you have a cold and a fever?? My excuse for the McDonald's is that I got a McFlurry and that helped to soothe my throat ;)

SW the weird thing is that I've been deliberately avoiding friends who are ill so I don't pick anything up! Unfortunately that's not how bugs work :(

I'm back at work now because my big project has come in but I'm definitely not 100% better - hopefully a restful weekend will knock this thing on the head x
  • bobobski
    Options
    Big project is slow to start and we're working towards it kicking off properly on Monday, so this is likely to be my last proper weekend for a while. I've spent it not doing very much so far :o I've done a lot of researching houses in my local area (my motivation...) and went to the big Tesco this week as I needed to buy brake fluid. I've never done any car maintenance myself before as I'm highly likely to break things but for £4 I thought I'd give this one a try - how hard can pouring something be?? Low brake fluid was one of the advisories on my MOT and no doubt the garage would have charged me £30 to do the same thing so I thought I'd try being a grown up for once :D

I spent slightly too much in Tesco so I have £90 left for the rest of the month, thus reducing my budget for weekly shops from £70 per week to £45 per week. I might be able to do it, but if not and I overspend it's likely to be the lowest amount I've overspent by for a while! Baby steps...

I'm mostly feeling better although my glands are still very inflamed and sore to touch. I need not to act like I'm better when I'm not - that always catches me out - so I'm going to have a restful evening and a restful day tomorrow :)

I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on buying brake fluid. You are saving yourself money. Cars are so expensive. You will gain confidence from this.

Well done on project. Your job sounds exciting.

I hope you can rest the rest of the weekend and your bug goes. Have a chill out day :j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better x Well done on the car maintenance. I'm sure £45 a week is doable but as you say not worth beating yourself up about it.
    Good luck with the new work project, sounds exciting but make sure you look after yourself too x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • bobobski
    Options
    Quick update from me today: now that my big project has started I've been super busy as expected. When I get busy at work I stop sleeping properly (caring too much about work really isn't always a good thing - I literally dream about my work!) so I've been getting up at 5am every day - even today (Saturday) - because I can't sleep. I'm going to spend the day in the office today and maybe tomorrow too, as there just isn't enough time during the week to do everything I need to do. I'd rather do that than work late into the night.

I'm aware that my drinking has shot up. My routine is something like this: wake up at 5 --> work by 7.30/8 (after doing some surveys and things, or sorting out my holiday next weekend) --> work through the day and sometimes forget to have lunch --> leave work at sometime between 6.30 and 8 --> neck a bottle of wine when I get home --> repeat. This isn't healthy or sustainable. BUT it's only for a month or so, and if this project goes well I will have a very good case for a decent bonus, fingers crossed.

Because of this my shopping (if I find time to do it!) will definitely be over my £45 budget this weekend, but that's ok. I haven't spent any money in the last week except £20 on a pair of headphones because my old ones broke and I cannot work without music, and £10 on three pairs of under-dress-over-tights-my-thighs-hate-the-summer shorts, both from Amazon.

Right, it's 6.45 and I've already been up for 1 hr 45 and haven't got enough done. I'm gonna go shower and cook dinner at the same time like some kind of cooking/showing ninja then head to work.

Happy weekend all! :)
  • bobobski
    Options
    Dinner, breakfast, what's the difference! I am tired.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    It sounds very stressful, I would just say try to eat something even if its only a snack like fruit and try to stay hydrated drink lots of water if you can. At least its only for a short time

I know what you mean about the sleep pattern I have been awake since 5.30 my normal getting up for work time - but at least I am still in bed no rush to go anywhere today. Have a good day x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Maybe make sandwiches at the weekend and take them to work with you. If you can take some fruit in too that is good so you don't get burned out as you are doing so much. Force yourself to do this as you have to look after yourself. I had a breakdown in my twenties as I lived and worked like you. Please learn from my mistakes.

Also cut back on the wine. One glass less every day. Gradually then try to have no alcohol but drink soft drinks instead. Slowly, slowly as you are pickling your liver. You want your liver in the future when you are rich and going on holiday and having posh meals and champagne all round the world. Think of it that way. It is hard.

Maybe once you are eating properly swap the wine time for some exercise. Walking or cross training for 20 mins that will release the same endorphins and make you happy and healthy but only if you are eating proper food.

Hark at me. I sound like I know it all. I am remembering me. I still make mistakes now but we are all helping each other together and writing this down has given me ideas of what I can do to improve my diabetes which is up the spout.

Don't beat yourself up just make one change at a time and look forward. Your life is going to get better and you want your health to live it to the full Bobobski. You are part of our MSE family now and we have got to help each other along. You all help me so much:grouphug:
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Bobobski are you ok? I hope you are enjoying the weather.
  • bobobski
    Options
    Bless you SW, yes I'm fine, I've just been extremely busy at work and then was on holiday this weekend just gone. I'll catch up on your diary and update mine properly this weekend if I can but I hope all's well with you :) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure