🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• dramarama
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me de-lurking and jumping into this thread. Am trying to be organised for Christmas this year, expecting first baby in November. Am trying to sort out as much as possible as the prospect of trying to organise anything else with a newborn seems impossible at the moment.

So far I've bought a few bits in the sales and got some nice gifts from The Caard Fact0ry. Made a list...seems to grow every year and got a budget to stick to. Husband and I will probably just get each other a token gift or make something for each other, we don't need anything really! I am most looking forward to spending time with family including my sister who will be over from Oz.

Hope everyone is well. :o:)
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017
    :):):)
    Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    ;)
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Hello!!!
    Im still alive - not quite functional but alive

Welcome to all the newbies!

KPWLL - nice to see another fellow welshie :-) where in Wales are you lovely? Im based down south near Port Talbot
    Dramarama - congrats on the baby. Welcome!
    Vulpix - enjoy Scotland!
    Peppa - Wave if you pass me and enjoy Wales!
    GTQ - I love the Vanilla Cupcake yankee candle! but they are expensive so I get gifted them by my sister in law mainly :D
    Binksy - I know Primark have a harry potter range out
    046 - hope your car is sorted soon!
    MandCo - I spend £20 yesterday on Monopoly :eek:

Well I am still being terrorised by one very small puppy but she is getting there and is 9 weeks old this Wednesday and a little piglet in puppy clothing I think. but shes lovely :o
    Daughter developed a nasty tummy bug so that proved interesting.
    Work is picking up at the minute - Im in 5 days straight this week and I had just applied for a second job and had the interview yesterday! Its only cleaning a local pub for a few hours in the morning but I can do it after I have dropped my daughter in school and its only for 2 hours a day over 6 days. Id like to keep both jobs but husband is being a bit funny about it. Oh and 3 for 2 has proved busy this time in work but it has meant I have gotten Holly practically finished now for Xmas bar a few bits and her stocking

Also made progress on family gifts too. My SIL is stressing over a Credit Union loan for Xmas - and hasn't been able to get my nephew anything yet which I think is driving her mad as she usually relies on the Toys R Us layaway scheme and hes been nagging her about a stretch armstrong toy - its £21.99 in work :eek: but with my discount and £10 worth of vouchers I have won myself this month for sales it will only cost me £9 so thats him sorted as well as the free spiderman DVD from Sky last month :D

So Im off now to update my christmas lists on the computer and think of something for my husband still....
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • mrsinvisible
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies and de-lurkers, (once aboard there is no disembarking!!!).
    Just reading back, what a lot is going on! new babies, new flats - in foreign parts- bargains galore and great ideas shared.
    Clumsy, so pleased for you that the ESA is sorted out! (although it seems wrong to be saying how pleased l am that you are sufficiently ill/disabled to qualify, IYSWIM). l am waiting to hear from DWP about my PIP claim, so l know how stressful it must have been for you.
    Murie, the new bedroom sounds gorgeous, isn't it lovely to get good customer service, l had 2 faulty appliances, vacuum cleaner and carpet washer this month, both from same manufacturer, new appliances sent out by return of post, (upgraded to next up model, too, and please keep the old ones).
    l have an appointment with the neurosurgeon in October, the hospital is almost 100 miles away, and the appointment is at 9 15 am, so l am having to book a hotel the night before, as it is too far for me to drive, and unfair to ask anyone to get up at daft o clock to take me. Fave cos is driving, so we have decided to make it an extra weekend jaunt, as appt. is on Saturday morning, and intend doing a lot of Christmas shopping, and baby shopping as her newest grandchild is only 5 weeks away.
    New neighbours continue good, DGS and his dad are going to chop down one of their trees, (they want it done, honest) this weekend if the weather is ok, rain immaterial but no gales.
    Quiet weekend for me hopefully, hope you all have a great one.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Didn't get to Wales this weekend after all, one of the children where we were visiting was sick and DH ended up spending yesterday in bed so we're going towards end of October instead. SAMMYKAYE Port Talbot was where we were going! Maybe you could wear a big flower when we go so I can recognise you and wave :D. KPWLL whereabouts in Wales are you? I love north Wales but this weekend would have been our first visit south.

I've never been to Scotland either. Well, that's not strictly true, I did go once many years ago in my youth when I was in the Lake District and we drove around some of the lower areas of Scotland. Unfortunately I fell asleep just before the border and didn't wake up til we were on the way back so I missed it.

Welcome to the thread BINSKY, LIZALEXANDER and DRAMARAMA.

Wow NIC no wonder you can't think of things for your elf to do after nine years! DGD's elf Rosie will be back on Dec 1st (I believe with an elf dog this year and guess who gets the job of elfing up said dog?). DD does some great things with her but DGD is on the internet much more this year and I'm sure she's going to stumble across some elf related chat. She's 8 now and absolutely adores Rosie so it'll be really sad if she finds out too soon.

GTQ a property in Egypt sounds very exciting, hope the process isn't too stressful.

MURIE extra storage for pressies is definitely a welcome bonus. I must organise my cupboard better, it feels very full but I think it's just because I've shoved stuff in a bit randomly.

FREE glad you're ok. I didn't see the peanut butter advent calendars but they haven't really got much Christmas stuff out yet in our one. To be honest it was so drab (and just a tad smelly) in there I was just keen to get out and move on which is not how I usually feel in B&M.

0462 hope you enjoyed your festive shopping. I'm putting Matalan and Primark on our list for the next trip.

DRAMARAMA congratulations, the nicest people are born in November ;)

MRSINVISIBLE I wish our neighbours at the back would chop down one or two of their trees, our garden is under layers of blooming leaves! Fortunately as our garden now is nice and small it's not as hard to clear them as it was in our old house. That's a long trip to the hospital - DD and I did the same a few years ago when she had to go to a hospital in Portsmouth, we had a nice girly night at a local hotel the night before.

Has anyone heard from FEISTY, BABYBOO or JJ? Was wondering how they are and if any of them will drop in again this year.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Clumsy42
    Options
    mrsinvisible - I know exactly what you mean. We shouldn't really be happy about these things but it takes so much stress off.

Dunelm have a Christmas section online. Don't know if anyone has seen it: http://www.dunelm.com/category/christmas I've spotted some navy wrapping paper with gold stars and moons on. Sooo my aesthetic! I must have it. :rotfl:

Hope the weather isn't too awful for you all this weekend. Although it isn't looking good so far. :o
    Save
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    binsky wrote: »
    Hello, I've been lurking for a while :) I'm feeling inspired thanks to you all, just wondering where you got your poop emoji flannels from mandco please? My 6 year old would loooove it. We live around 40 miles from any decent shops though so I try to plan well ahead if I'm going anywhere.

My eldest is into Harry Potter so if anybody sees any bargains please let me know x

welcome to the thread
    I got the flannels from one of the aldi offer the weeks in the summer
    they are these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMOJI-MAGIC-FLANNEL-TWIN-PACK-Panda-Poo-Wild-Friends-EXPANDING-WASH-CLOTH-Travel-/272864082659 taz thinks the emoji poo is brillant being a typical boy anything related to farts & poop is funny at the moment so I know he'll love them
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just caught up on the thread, lovely to hear what everyone's up to :)

I've had such a busy week, so Christmas has been on the back burner, but I'm thinking of doing a little bit of wrapping in a minute as I can't make our first wrapping party session this coming week.

I might pop out to some shops tomorrow to add to the Christmas stash :)
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    welcome newbies

GTQ ooh your yc choices sound lovely rubbish about not gettting your freebies though.
    Peppa sorry you had to miss your trip hope dh is feeling better
    Murie gassy the cow is a game where you press on the cow and it either farts or poops so naturally its a hit with taz
    Nic I do think the elves get harder each year unless you canrecycle the activities which is ok for the little ones but the older ones remember and expect something new.
    Freespirit hope your doing ok? how is thumper doing? he must be growing up fast now

Well made it back to the range today and :eek::D they have some fantastic stuff I could spend a fortune in there. Was very good and only picked up a couple of bits today- got the naughty elves tape and some extra length wrapping paper. Oh also an emoji poo tote bag for taz. I will def be going back when I have more time & spends.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't usually go too mad with the elf antics. This is the first year ive bought props. Our first elf was a dog toy. It's the only elf like toy I could find back then. I was never keen on the elf on the shelf ones. But a year ago I got a baby elf to go with one of the female elves we ended up with tol (frosty sugar socks) it was a baby elf in the shelf type one, so this year we also hVe our first elf on the shelf. We are up to 4 elves now lol.
    I usually do wrapping the tree with toilet roll, eating mums sweets, wrapping paper over the door, hiding in the fridge etc. The kids like to see if they do the same naughty things again.
    They just love the excitment of the elves coming, they bring the advent calendars, Christmas Eve dvd's and treats. It won't be long before the eldest don't beleive, so I like to keep the magic going as long as I can x
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Free- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Have a fab day x
    lovin' this site!
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories