* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• mrsinvisible
    Options
    Hi, still raining, and more to come. Peppa, relieved that your result is something that you can reverse by diet. Fitbit is a lot beyond me, l got a smartwatch at Christmas, but l cant use it, l am not used to a watch that needs to have its battery charged every night.
    The group is ''Magnum'' and l am a long time fan.
    Vulpix you did well in your boot sale, and a great bargain on the chairs too.
    Chrissy, oh, no, hope you told him off, and make him ensure a lie-in for you at a later date.
    Didn't sleep well last night so l am bone-weary now, and cold, l may need to put the heating on.
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sammy- Im sorry the tax credits people have yet again made a mistake that you end up suffering for.
    Free- they have the gingerbread candles in my HB and also tiny versions at 59p- would be good in an adults stocking. They also had 'Magical Christmas Tree' and ( I think) 'Christmas Baking'. I didnt look at that one too closely as I dont like the smell of cinamon and Im sure it had cinamon in it.They were in tiny yankee candle style jars.

Mrs I- hope you had a better nights sleep last night x Its damp and dimal here but still very sticky, we had the fan on all night. I think its more of the same forcast for today.

No more decorating for me today, I overdid it yesterday morning so the rest of the day was spent hobbling around. I had to 'console' myself with a trip to Home Bargains and £shop! Most of you know I LOVE Kate Spade bags and the £shop had some lovely well made Kate Spade (esq) design stationary in gold and navy with a dash of pink. I got a nice little magnetic folder of 3 different size post it notes for DD. Would be great for those who bullet journal etc. There were quite a few items in that range.
    Im going to have a mooch in Primark today followed by a cheeky little starbucks Caramel and pecan latte if they do them - I had an email from starbucks last week about that flavour saying they arent on the menu yet but the barista will make one if asked. Hopefully they will know all about the promotion so that I dont have to stand there looking like a lemon asking for something they've never heard of! (I'll take the email just in case).
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    murie wrote: »
    Sammy- Im sorry the tax credits people have yet again made a mistake that you end up suffering for.

Free- they have the gingerbread candles in my HB and also tiny versions at 59p- would be good in an adults stocking. They also had 'Magical Christmas Tree' and ( I think) 'Christmas Baking'. I didnt look at that one too closely as I dont like the smell of cinamon and Im sure it had cinamon in it.They were in tiny yankee candle style jars.

followed by a cheeky little starbucks Caramel and pecan latte if they do them - I had an email from starbucks last week about that flavour saying they arent on the menu yet but the barista will make one if asked. Hopefully they will know all about the promotion so that I dont have to stand there looking like a lemon asking for something they've never heard of! (I'll take the email just in case).

Its a good job my kids give me their xmas lists early to be fair so I know what I am working with and my boss gives us all extra hours come christmas which I think may be where the overpayment came from in the first place.

I have a gingerbread candle still from last yea that I never burnt. I didnt see the other Xmas themed candles but I think I will have to go and have a look on my way home from work on Saturday now. We have just had a huge B&M open near to us in one of our shopping outlets so I am off to have a look there with my sister in law at some point and they do the 2 for £20 on toys as well so can see me shopping there quite a bit ;)

We usually try all the festive drinks that Costa and Starbucks do - made even easier now there is a costa in my town :-) although I have to avoid any that have nuts in since Im allergic to them.

Today will mainly involve de-fleaing the dogs since I found one on our boy last night and our girl has been itching :eek::eek::eek: horrid little blighters but I only found one on an all white dog so Im hoping I have caught them early enough. Rain halted our morning walk this morning so he is already grumping with me.
    The rest of today will probably be the same as any, sitting in silence and watching my husband play on his phone willing some form of conversation - other than that Ill probably list a few bits on ebay and I have to make some flapjacks or cakes - my daughter came home starving from school yesterday and already has hollow legs, she ate two ham sandwiches (I mean 4 bits of bread) a bag of crisps then a giant bowl of pasta - shes 7 :eek: so some baking is much needed.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 5 September 2017 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Damp and dismal here too but hoping the rain holds off as it's 'take the rubbish to the tip day' today for us. We've got lots of hardcore from hacking the tiles off the wall in the ex-kitchen plus old wood etc from the garden clearout plus two very old solar panels and some 'upcycled' furniture that didn't make the grade (i.e. fell apart). Hope you enjoy your shopping trip and latte MURIE and I'm very jealous of the Christmas market trip, DD1 is going to one with her friends but I can't remember where. I love cinnamon (taste and smell - that's the taste of cinnamon pretzels not candles) and I've still got the remnants of last year's HB candles so will def get them again. I got a Yankee tea light set for Christmas last year andwas very disappointed with it, tiny little flame (more of a spark really) and no smell, the Ikea tea lights are so much better and a fraction of the price.

MRSI I think I'd be the same with a smart watch, I fall out with my smart phone every now and then and they're definitely very needy :D I'll google Magnum, you've got me curious now.

SAMMYKAYE what's the Merry Forums of Merry Christmas? Is it on here? An ornament swap sounds fun though risky knowing how different tastes can be. ;) Ha ha to DD's hollow legs, took my DGD (8) home yesterday and I don't think she stopped eating the whole time she was here.

ELLIE 16 weeks makes it seem even closer, definitely on the Christmas countdown here too which I'm glad about because I was worried I'd lost my festive mojo for a while lol.

GTQ glad you had a good time, don't forget to save some wrapping for our joint wrapping session.

Well done on the boot sale and the chairs VILPIX, I've sort of half painted a chest of drawers that I rescued and upcycled last year with a view to decoupaging the rest. Had a look at them this morning and am really thinking 'can I be bothered?' and I think the answer is going to be 'no I can't' so they may be joining me on an excursion to the tip too.

FREE I didn't make the Matalan freebie :( but I might get some of the bits anyway. The only thing I worry about with Matalan (and M&S) is that they tend to reduce stuff nearer Christmas and I hate feeling like I've paid too much. Having said that the one year I decided to wait I ended up not getting anything at Matalan so maybe I should just go for it.

ETA. MRSINVISIBLE I've googled Magnum, you rock chick! MURIE they started in your home town, are you a fan too?
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Peppapig wrote: »
    SAMMYKAYE what's the Merry Forums of Merry Christmas? Is it on here? An ornament swap sounds fun though risky knowing how different tastes can be. ;) Ha ha to DD's hollow legs, took my DGD (8) home yesterday and I don't think she stopped eating the whole time she was here.

https://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/

Its a fab little place although you have to contribute to the site to be in the exchanges but it costs £8 and the funds go to helping less fortunate families around xmas time. but then there is the xmas card exchange and the ornament swap too and they all seem lovely over there.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • elliew8
    elliew8 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, hope everyone is doing well. I had a trip to the dentist last night as I recently chipped my tooth, they said they were going to file it down :O which I wasn't too keen about but actually it didn't hurt. Not much happening on the Christmas front except got my MSE advised M&S credit card to get the £55 of vouchers, I buy so many presents from there so will really make a difference.
    Sammykaye, that’s so annoying about the tax! Good news about the Halloween decorations, it won’t be long…I feel your pain with the de-fleaing, I spotted one last night so will have to de-flea the cat and the whole house tonight
    Mrsinvisible I don’t blame you thinking about putting the heating on, it’s miserable outside
    Murie, that’s a good idea getting the mini candles as stocking fillers, sounds like you got some good bargains, enjoy the pecan latte! I’m looking forward to the festive drinks coming out!
    Peppa, can’t be losing your festive mojo on here J
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas :snow_grin :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • Clumsy42
    Clumsy42 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all and welcome to the newbies. Christmas prep seems to be coming along well here. :D

It's been noticeably darker here recently and the weather is turning cooler (which I like). My toes are already complaining about the temperature though. :rotfl:

Busy couple of weeks coming. Got my ESA assessment on thursday :(. And then my family all go away and leave me home alone over the weekend (not fun for me cause I don't like being in the house alone for several days). Will have to consume my weight in bad food - pizza here I come. :rotfl: And then next week is the week of appointments galore including my first cardiology one. Must try and get some Christmas prep in there somewhere! ;)

Have seen Superdrug are doing a few bits of Beauty and the Beast products including a 12 days of Christmas beauty calendar. Think my sister would love this. Other than the loyalty card thing does anyone know if Superdrug are likely to do discounts on something like that?
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Options
    Peppa- yup I like Magnum too! Did you get the tip run in? It has rained every 10 mins here, still horribly sticky.
    Mrs I- you have great taste lady !!
    Sammy- fleas and ticks the scourge of every animal owner, makes you feel all yukky and itchy doesn't it? We've been lucky this year (fingers crossed), even though you spend a fortune on prevention its not always guaranteed.
    Ellie- glad the trip to the dentist wasn't painful. DH lost a crown on Saturday so went to the dentist last night and left with a new crown and £143 less in the bank!
    Clumsy- I hope the assessment goes Ok and in your favour x I doubt if Superdrug will do discounts unless its nearer Christmas and by then speciality things like advent calendars etc have sold out.

The latte was gorgeous - definitely recommend that flavour, and DD got herself a couple of bargains in Oasis- 2 jumpers that were priced at £38 and £40 reduced to £10 each!
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I did indeed MURIE although DH didn't (in bed with headache again). My sis stepped in and we both flexed our muscles (to be truthful she flexed more than me lol) and we got the two solar panels out of the way (no easy task) followed by all the wood, metal and non-recyclable stuff. Just the hardcore to go now.

More good news too, the plasterer is coming Monday and Tuesday to do the old kitchen/new spare (hobby) room so with the plumber doing the bathroom on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we should be clear of all trades by the end of the week. Just a bit of decorating and it's all systems go!

Ooh and I forgot, I decided that as the side of the bungalow isn't overlooked by trees and gets the sun I'm going to do raised beds there and grow some fruit and veg. I thought potatoes, carrots, strawberries and blueberries, maybe even lettuce. Now I need to read up on how to do it.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Clumsy42
    Clumsy42 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Murie - I suspected as much, thanks. :)
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport