PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

deletedeletedelete

Options

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with strangers, and wouldn't do it for all the tea in China. I'm not a princess or a diva, but if I was looking for accommodation, an ensuite would be very important to me. 4 adult strangers sharing a bathroom doesn't sound great IMO.

It would make you end up a hermit though, and mean your accomodation price will skyrocket for the luxury.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with strangers, and wouldn't do it for all the tea in China. I'm not a princess or a diva, but if I was looking for accommodation, an ensuite would be very important to me. 4 adult strangers sharing a bathroom doesn't sound great IMO.

That's fine, everyone would prefer an ensuite, but most people can't afford one.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    vera163 wrote:
    i think it was private use/dwelling something like that i don't fully recall but i told planning that it will be let out as HMO and they had no issue when looking up my property prior to and during visit by private housing.

Change of use then i think !
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    That's fine, everyone would prefer an ensuite, but most people can't afford one.

Exactly. Balance on affordability. As I said up thread, en-suites are more expensive but tend to let quicker. I only let to workers and only one person per room. Beds are deliberately small doubles to discourage the number of occupants doubling.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Amber_Sunshine
    Options
    I'm currently looking for a flatshare, and no, I would not consider a flat with four bedrooms that didn't have at least an extra toilet, if not two bathrooms. Holding it in is extremely uncomfortable, and while I can generally wait for a shower it's not nice to have to wait for the loo.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm currently looking for a flatshare, and no, I would not consider a flat with four bedrooms that didn't have at least an extra toilet, if not two bathrooms. Holding it in is extremely uncomfortable, and while I can generally wait for a shower it's not nice to have to wait for the loo.

Even if there was a basin? :D
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/housing_act/docs/all/minimum_national_amenity_standards_for_licensable_hmos.shtml

I'm actually shocked! :eek:

Four letting rooms could result in eight adults and/or children trying to share one bathroom and toilet.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the toilet was separate. Is there any way the bathroom could be divided to create this?

No. It is four persons, not four letting rooms.
  • anselld
    Options
    vera163 wrote: »
    well i thought everything was ok according to the local authority pros

It is OK if you stick to four persons and if the local authority are satisfied. Don't be drawn in by the hysteria.
  • anselld
    Options
    45002 wrote: »

Change of use from C3 to C4 is permitted development unless the Local Authority have an Article 4 direction in place to prevent it.
  • red40
    red40 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    No planning need as it is only being let to 4 persons and I assume no article 4.

With regards to bathrooms and wc's, the original 2006 statutory instrument for Hmo allowed this configuration, once you went to 5 you need to have a separate wc. The amended 2007 statutory instrument took out the required numbers and added the word 'reasonable'. Most if not all local authoritis wold allow this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure