PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

deletedeletedelete

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    vera163 wrote: »
    if there were 2 toilets in the property then i wouldn't think of having wash basins/sinks in each bedroom. weirdly however, there are 2 kitchens..
    what would you have me do then? the layout of the property doesn't permit extra space to fit another toilet/bathroom..

Can you convert one of the kitchens? 4 adults sharing one kitchen isn't ideal but much easier to make clever use of space and have a rota then with just one toilet.

If you can't afford to do that, why are you going into business as a landlord? It can get really expensive when things go wrong, and its not dirt cheap when it goes right if you do things properly.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is there a cupboard under the stairs?

if so, then this is a must ... https://flubit.com/gifts?gclid=CJmO8v6gldACFZEy0wodglsHxw#!/share/AUL98J?fo_c=1391&fo_k=b8f195c603daf4612e5a75c46784b262&fo_s=gplauk

or this

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4558369?_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189949525|agid:18091974325|tidla-163032824965|crid:77627773765|nw:g|rnd:2535414314285081777|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CMXmnN-gldACFY9uGwoda7EDiQ
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    red40 wrote: »
    No planning need as it is only being let to 4 persons

So what happens when a tenant's partner moves in with them...?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm not in the UK, but would someone be able to tell me if there tax/other advantages to letting a property as HMO as opposed to a family or other group of friends?

Thanks.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2016 at 12:15AM
    dekaspace wrote: »
    It would make you end up a hermit though, and mean your accomodation price will skyrocket for the luxury.

Nothing wrong it, I prefer it that way, I can be "selfish" then.
  • amateur_house
    amateur_house Posts: 276
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2016 at 2:55PM
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Question - would you live in a four bedroom house with four adults and one bathroom?

We are a family of 5 adults (3 grown up children who still live at home) in a 4 bedroom house with one bathroom, toilet is in the bathroom too. It isn't ideal, we are in the habit of checking if anyone wants to use the toilet before having a bath or shower. Getting ready in the morning needs precision timing or you miss your slot. Then if the kids have friends round till late in the evening we can have queues to use the bathroom.

I would keep the sinks, being able to brush your teeth, or for men being able to have a shave, in your own room will make a big difference to pressure to use the bathroom.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    i can't afford to fit an extra toilet/bathroom [yet] as i am dividing other funds for another project. i am going into business as a landlord because i can and will commit to this whatever it takes. converting one of the kitchens will be a complete nightmare for now as i am on a tight deadline for this

Marvelous.

I really do pity your future tenants.
  • mrsmazza
    mrsmazza Posts: 144
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We used to own an HMO , we put a small shower room/ wc in. We converted a large cupboard next to the kitchen .We had 4 rentable rooms. Even though you will be renting it to 4 individual's they will have partners,friends over to stay.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    melanzana wrote: »
    I'm not in the UK, but would someone be able to tell me if there tax/other advantages to letting a property as HMO as opposed to a family or other group of friends?
    No tax advantages. Simply more rental income.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,506
    Forumite
    What sort of tenant do you expect to get? It is going to be pretty downmarket isn't it? Wouldn't converting one of the kitchens give you a wider demographic and hence less problems and possibly higher rental income?

Do you actually have a viable business plan? Because you sound dangerously under capitalised to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure