M&S Bank

Options
I'm thinking of doing the switch to M&S Bank to get the £100 gift card. Anyone know if the card can be sold on, in order to earn cash instead? ie. does the card have your name on it, or is it just a standard gift card that could be sold to someone else.

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't as of Spring 2015, just a standard black M&S gift card.
  • tunde10
    tunde10 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did the switch about a month ago and received the £100 gift card recently.

Yes, you can sell it on as it has no name on it. However the letter stated it will be automatically topped up with £10 a month reward you get for having 2 active DD's paid out.

So obviously if you are looking to get this, it wouldn't make sense to sell it on.
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to repeat what others have said already, it's just an ordinary gift card. I seem to remember it even arrived in a nice envelope... I opted for the M&S account because I knew I would be moving house soon and would be able to use it for furniture. It got me a nice sofa. If it is cash you're looking for, I would simply apply for a Coop account, or the Halifax, First Direct if you haven't banked with them before. (Coop is the one I'm going to apply for once my M&S monthly saver ends...)
  • wibblewibble75
    Options
    Thanks. I'll get on with applying for the M&S account then. I've already done the other account switching cash incentives and this was the only one left. But I don't think I'll get round to actually using the gift card, so I thought I'll try to get cash for it instead.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you can always buy your Xmas food with it, or booze, or Christmas pressies even if you wouldn't normally shop there. No point in throwing away £100
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get yourself a sparks card and you'll get vouchers.

I got gift vouchers with insurance and used them for their offers (along with the sparks voucher) to bring their food close to Sainsburys / Waitrose prices.

On a plus note, you'll feel very young as everyone else in the shop will be 50+ :rotfl:
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel really annoyed with that post
    I'm 67 and could walk all over you :p
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    I feel really annoyed with that post
    I'm 67 and could walk all over you :p
    You got to 67 and would walk over people?
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    You got to 67 and would walk over people?

That's vetually what you have to do in M& S when they have one of their special events. :mad:
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the switch to M&S Bank to get the £100 gift card. Anyone know if the card can be sold on, in order to earn cash instead? ie. does the card have your name on it, or is it just a standard gift card that could be sold to someone else.

It says "PLEASE TREAT THIS GIFT CARD AS CASH" on the one I received on Wednesday.

I guess that that says it all. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport