M&S Bank

Options

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Norscbu wrote: »
    I applied friday and am still waiting for a response, not the typical "you've been accepted" from the other current accounts I've opened in the last few months.

Is this typical of m&s bank?

It certainly is!
  • LesU
    LesU Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you weren't expecting anything before 2017.
    I applied on 8th November, got no response until 11th November, when I received an e-mail asking me to ring them . I rang them on the same day and cleared up a couple of questions. Ten days later I rang them to find out if they had forgotten me. No, everything is progressing OK.
    So on the 23rd November I received an e-mail telling me I had been accepted. On 25th November I received some paperwork to sign and send back.
    Yesterday I received another e-mail welcoming me to my new account.
    'Over the next two weeks you will receive a welcome pack, debit card etc etc'.
    So I can now look forward to being within 2 weeks of having an account open which I can then switch to. The switch, of course, taking another 7 days.

So after a month I'm still around 3 weeks away from a fully functioning switched account. Hang on, doesn't that coincide with Christmas? In that case probably add another 4 days on the process.

During this prolonged wait I have also managed to open and switch to a Co-op account.
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    i really do like the M&S 70% off sales they regularly have - makes those £100 gift cards go a long way.
  • Norscbu
    Norscbu Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    LesU wrote: »
    I hope you weren't expecting anything before 2017.
    I applied on 8th November, got no response until 11th November, when I received an e-mail asking me to ring them . I rang them on the same day and cleared up a couple of questions. Ten days later I rang them to find out if they had forgotten me. No, everything is progressing OK.
    So on the 23rd November I received an e-mail telling me I had been accepted. On 25th November I received some paperwork to sign and send back.
    Yesterday I received another e-mail welcoming me to my new account.
    'Over the next two weeks you will receive a welcome pack, debit card etc etc'.
    So I can now look forward to being within 2 weeks of having an account open which I can then switch to. The switch, of course, taking another 7 days.

So after a month I'm still around 3 weeks away from a fully functioning switched account. Hang on, doesn't that coincide with Christmas? In that case probably add another 4 days on the process.

During this prolonged wait I have also managed to open and switch to a Co-op account.

Wow, OK I was not expecting that haha. I will change my strategy for this month then, thanks!
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The process requires at least a couple of acres of wood to be used in order to manufacture all the paperwork you will receive!
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand the relative reluctance on the part of some about the M&S gift card. I don't shop at M&S all the time but with their cut price offers, added to a money off (£5 off a £50 shop) chit (which pops up sometimes with your till receipt) and a gift card it can make things exceptionally cheap (especially for M&S). And Marks is always reducing stuff.

Last week I used a £37 gift card (from TCB) to acquire 12 bottles of good quality red wine, a chicken and two packs of chicken thighs for £19. Some of the wine was half price (and it's perfectly OK) and there was 25% off for 6 bottles; the chicken was 3 packs for £10.

Think MSE :)

I've now got two vouchers - £5 off £50 and/or £10 off £100 to decide what to do with :)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    For me they haven't been too bad, account was opened within two to three weeks and I've just activated a switch of one of my 123 accounts which should be done early next week.

Very pleasant telephone conversations, slightly annoying that you can't do everything online with the hold music on the phine but not the end of the world. I was warned not to panic when their documentation arrived and mentioned HSBC.

In contrast applied for a HSBC account on the last day of October to benefit from their switch incentive and there is faster continental drift. Had to post back a form to set up Internet banking at the end of last week, so might be in a position to commission the switch early in the new year and get my regular saver.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Options
    Generally speaking what does M&S expect by way of monthly incomings. I will be switching one of my Santander accounts to M&S, it has a decent balance and two existing direct debits. But it has no deposits other than a modest monthly investment income deposit, plus transfers I make from my main Santander account.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My experience was over a month to get the account up and running, switch organised etc, during which time the regular saver rate had reduced from 6% to 5% but, when I rang to set it up, the helpful customer service agent told me that as I was 'caught mid-stream" as it were, the 6% rate would be paid - full marks to Marks!

As for paying in, I have a regular SO from another account to M&S for the required £1000 - I leave in enough to cover the RS and DDs and FP the rest to another account.
  • Norscbu
    Norscbu Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    i applied on a friday evening, 2nd dec, its now 12th dec but I guess only 5 working days. I got the welcome email 1am this morning. I am hoping I'll be able to switch before christmas but it's highly unlikely at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure