Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options

Comments

• Tyler119
    Tyler119 Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    My recent experience with a cyclist was certainly not a polite one. For the record I cycle quite a bit and this comment is specific to a incident and does not form my views on cyclists in general.

Driving on a normal two lane road and in front of me are 3 cyclists, one behind the other, and packed together. I waited till there was a good break in the oncoming traffic so I had plenty of time to pass all three.

As I'm passing the first cyclist, without any warning or indications he pulls out till near the middle (to pass the other two cyclists I assume) of the road and almost collides with the side of my car. I obviously put the breaks on ensure no collision took place.

At the next traffic stop I asked him to pull over as I simply wanted to make him aware that all road users need to know when someone is about to commit to a manoeuvre, cyclist or motor vehicle. He ignores me and I drive on as the traffic gets going. At this point it is not bothering me.

A few minutes down the road and the traffic comes to a stop. Look who pulls into the lane to my left, the same cyclist. I roll the window down and let him know about what he did and that give him the safety message. To be honest I did it in a really nice manner and wasn't condescending or a prat to him. He tells me that because he was on the road first he can do what he wants. I tell him he can't be serious. He keeps repeating the same thing and so I ask him if there had been a collision between us, would he have used that excuse. I also remind him that I have a dash cam that shows what he did.....and then he tells me to go *uck myself.....right in front of my 1 year old boy. I tell you I was speechless!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,665 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tyler119 wrote: »
    My recent experience with a cyclist was certainly not a polite one. For the record I cycle quite a bit and this comment is specific to a incident and does not form my views on cyclists in general.

A sensible reasoned comment unlike many posted already. At least someone can see that one incident doesn't mean ALL cyclists behave in a certain way any more than a BMW driver not indicating means all BMW drivers fail to do so!

The video I posted showed one cyclist behaving badly, interesting how many others were waiting at the crossing.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,665 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If compulsory training wold not work, any suggestions on improving cycle riding on our carriageways?

Yes, improved training for drivers. Maybe all drivers have to cycle so they understand the issues?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Yes, improved training for drivers. Maybe all drivers have to cycle so they understand the issues?
    As some motorists are unwilling or unable to share a thread on a forum with cyclists the suggestion that they may have to actually try cycling on the road is laughable.
    Maybe all drivers should be trained and tested as cyclists before applying for a driving license.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    is the primary positioning for cyclist, is in the middle of the road?

Primary position is in the centre of the track occupied by the vehicles. Note that this is not the same as the centre of the lane, or the centre of the road.

Primary%20Position_zpsz1kbwlhc.jpg
  • OneLeggedPig
    OneLeggedPig Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2016 at 11:52AM
    Options
    If compulsory training wold not work, any suggestions on improving cycle riding on our carriageways?

No, the poster is saying that it would work. And cyclists would ride further out in the lane (as I do, being experienced at riding in traffic), as this is safer than being close to the kerb. This would no doubt irritate people like you even more.

The only people who make our roads dangerous are the very small minority of careless or reckless motorists. They are a danger to pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists. Everyone else shares the space quite well (even if people do sometimes grumble a bit).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Yes, that's why all those "near misses" due to cyclist behaviour don't get counted and are then discounted by some posters.

You are selectively quoting what I said:
    jack_pott wrote: »
    You need to be careful with road injury stats, the number of injuries recorded is not as reliable as the number of deaths because the definition of an injury is more subjective and the expertise and number of people available for filling in paperwork varies. Similarly, the number of near misses will be less reliable still.

For example, when citing examples of near misses you selectively refer to cycling near misses and not motoring, which is why near misses and injuries are not reliable measures of risk.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tyler119 wrote: »

Driving on a normal two lane road and in front of me are 3 cyclists, one behind the other, and packed together. I waited till there was a good break in the oncoming traffic so I had plenty of time to pass all three.

As I'm passing the first cyclist, without any warning or indications he pulls out till near the middle (to pass the other two cyclists I assume) of the road and almost collides with the side of my car. I obviously put the breaks on ensure no collision took place.

At the next traffic stop I asked him to pull over as I simply wanted to make him aware that all road users need to know when someone is about to commit to a manoeuvre, cyclist or motor vehicle. He ignores me and I drive on as the traffic gets going. At this point it is not bothering me.

A few minutes down the road and the traffic comes to a stop. Look who pulls into the lane to my left, the same cyclist. I roll the window down and let him know about what he did and that give him the safety message. To be honest I did it in a really nice manner and wasn't condescending or a prat to him. He tells me that because he was on the road first he can do what he wants. I tell him he can't be serious. He keeps repeating the same thing and so I ask him if there had been a collision between us, would he have used that excuse. I also remind him that I have a dash cam that shows what he did.....and then he tells me to go *uck myself.....right in front of my 1 year old boy. I tell you I was speechless!

Good Morning Tylor, so sorry you had this experience with the cyclist, even more concerned on the swearing infront of your child.

This morning, something similar happened to me today. I was driving behind a lorry. The lights turned red, and naturally all traffic comes to a stop. I clocked a cyclist on my left, as she passes. She then approaches the lorry infront. Now as the road i am on, is a single lane road, narrow with park cars on both sides, the lorry was quite close to the parked cars, to allow vehicles from the opposite direction to pass by.

The cyclist then decided to squeeze pass the narrow space between the lorry and parked cars. I was thinking, there is going to be an injury here!! within seconds the lorry starts going as the lights chage, resulting in the cyclist being clipped, with several of the mirrors of the parked cars bent backwards.

The cyclist shouted profanities at the lorry driver, and gave him the middle finger. As I went pass, i said calmly "it might be better next time to drop back regarding lorries" and the response i got was profanities also.

I honestly thought the cyclist would of been grossly injured. She was very lucky
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Primary position is in the centre of the track occupied by the vehicles. Note that this is not the same as the centre of the lane, or the centre of the road.

Primary%20Position_zpsz1kbwlhc.jpg

Thankyou Jack, helpful response.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2016 at 12:25PM
    Options
    The only people who make our roads dangerous are the very small minority of careless or reckless motorists. They are a danger to pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists. Everyone else shares the space quite well (even if people do sometimes grumble a bit).

Just "careless and reckless motorists" then and not irresponsible cyclists as well?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure