Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Cloudydaze wrote: »
    Hello fellow motorists!

I was just wondering if you had any suggestions as to how us motorists can keep cyclists safe on our roads?

My ideas are:

- Always indicate well in advance so the cyclists knows your intentions.
    - Give plenty of room when overtaking.
    - if it's not safe to overtake, then hang back until it is.
    - look out for cyclists at roundabouts

Please no replies from cyclists.

Most cyclists are drivers too, so............
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello fellow motorists!

I was just wondering if you had any suggestions as to how us motorists can keep cyclists safe on our roads?

Here's a suggestion, how about a sizeable minority of cyclists actually taking some responsibility for there own actions when out on the road and not expecting everybody else to act as their guardian angels.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion, how about a sizeable minority of cyclists actually taking some responsibility for there own actions when out on the road and not expecting everybody else to act as their guardian angels.

Their own actions? They're being actively and sometimes physically attacked by a minority of self-righteous drivers, FOR NO REASON.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2016 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Motorists aren't being asked to be guardian angels, just to drive competently. As a motorist, how often do you compensate for another drivers poor driving? How much poor driving do you ignore or are blind to because, thats what happens when you're driving, and you've probably made the same mistake yourself?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello fellow motorists!

• If you see a cyclist look over their shoulder - expect them to want to manoeuvre soon.
    • If you are in a slow-moving queue travelling downhill - remember cyclists may try and filter on the left or overtake on the right - and some may switch between the two.
    • If you see a cyclist with both hands off the bars - be prepared for them to manoeuvre suddenly or randomly.
    • If you are entering or crossing a one-way street - look both ways for cyclists... some of these have cycle lanes in the "wrong" direction. (And as the Original Post said - some cyclists think the rules don't apply to them).
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I still find it bizarre that there's this reaction to cyclists when there are so many motorists that are driving badly and are the ones at fault. Saw one yesterday on an dual carriageway in town. Deliveroo cyclist on inside lane and car overtakes, outside lane has traffic in too so driver has to be exceptionally close to cyclist to get past. Cyclist was in no way in the wrong yet the actions of another road user in a much bigger vehicle could have had serious consequences.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Cloudydaze
    Options
    If you have anger issues and find driving in cities stressful, then maybe driving for a living isn't for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQI0glNIAgw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport