Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options

Comments

• JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2016 at 3:35PM
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Assuming the lorry overtake & turn interpretation

"Tum-ti-tum" I'm riding my bike along without a care in the world

VRRRMMMMM-CLATTERR-VRMMMMM!!!! a lorry starts to overtake me

VRRRMMMMM-CLATTERR-VRMMMMM-PSSSSHHHH-VRRMMM-VRRRM!!!! (The lorry doesn't seem to be passing me as fast as I thought at first- maybe he has changed his mind about overtaking, I'm following the Highway Code)

The lorry turns left over me, and I'm dead.

I don't think so.......... ;)

Well, actually something like that yes, for the first half of your dramatisation anyhow, except compress it into three seconds or so. Even in the video, by the turning in point, the cyclist is by the REAR quarter of the truck. Suggests quite some trying to stop ...

ssuming the lorry overtake & turn interpretation

VRRRMMMMM-CLATTERR-VRMMMMM!!!! a lorry starts to overtake me

VRRRMMMMM-CLATTERR-VRMMMMM-PSSSSHHHH-VRRMMM-VRRRM!!!! (The lorry doesn't seem to be passing me as fast as I thought at first

!!!! !!!! Brake Brake Brake

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How about hanging? Or maybe beheading?

Burning at the stake?

Which of these options appeals most, Trinidadone?

BTW, I AM a motorist, so you may reply.
    Burning at the stake seems appropriate after a witch hunt.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JP08 wrote: »
    The only* way that lorry position makes sense at 0:26 is if he was overtaking

Or because the scene is staged for the video. As façade says, the reason there's so much ambiguity is that the video is so badly made. They should have shown a scenario in which the cyclist clearly chose to go down the near side of the lorry after he had the option not to, but as it's presented it's not clear who chose to be alongside who.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I don't think so.......... ;)

In case I wasn't obvious enough, a lorry that big does not suddenly swing 90 degrees left into a sidestreet (It would roll over, so it has to slow and move outwards first).
    If it was overtaking me and started to slow I'd be looking for a way out, either faster if the turn was far enough in front or hard on the brakes it it was imminent.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, I made an effort to frame-by frame it (download it and play with VLC, then space to pause and E to single frame advance)

At the start
    image.jpg

Cyclist just keeps on pedalling, is he undertaking ir just oblivious?
    image.jpg
    The end of the street. Actually looks like a junction to me, with something to prevent the lorry going straight on, is left the only way it could go?

image.jpg
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I picked those to highlight the fact it's not just cyclists who cause issues on the road and to show you cars are not immune to causing problems.

I couldn't find the one where a car pulls out in front of a motorbike.

I'm also amazed you also haven't tried to blame me for being hit by cars

No one on this thread has suggested cars are not immune, so dont understand your point of view. Just because there is a thread aimed at motorist only, does not suggest they are anti cyclist. Infact, if you read most of the comments on this thread, its overwhelmingly from cyclist, who seem to get their knickers in a twist if you dont respond to them. I am really concern if I as a moterist, i meet any of these cyclist on the road, because they seem very angry.

Blame you for hitting cars, you clearly have some troubles to overcome.

U design a thread for motorist, and cyclist type very personal, vile words.

I am done with this thread, and the trolls who have hijacked my thread
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No one on this thread has suggested cars are not immune, so dont understand your point of view. Just because there is a thread aimed at motorist only, does not suggest they are anti cyclist. Infact, if you read most of the comments on this thread, its overwhelmingly from cyclist, who seem to get their knickers in a twist if you dont respond to them. I am really concern if I as a moterist, i meet any of these cyclist on the road, because they seem very angry.

U design a thread for motorist, and cyclist type very personal, vile words.

How do you define a motorist?
    Just so people can be sure they meet the criteria, before posting.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2016 at 5:47PM
    Options
    No one on this thread has suggested cars are not immune, so dont understand your point of view. Just because there is a thread aimed at motorist only, does not suggest they are anti cyclist. Infact, if you read most of the comments on this thread, its overwhelmingly from cyclist, who seem to get their knickers in a twist if you dont respond to them. I am really concern if I as a moterist, i meet any of these cyclist on the road, because they seem very angry. Just ignore them like you've done on here.

U design a thread for motorist, and cyclist type very personal, vile words. Where? Please quote them, in context.

No trolls on here just people with opinions you don't want to hear. You claim its your thread but you don't interact with anyone or add anything constructive.

Cyclists on here aren't angry. They're competent road users which seems to baffle you.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options
    ....#3 "If I jump out in front of you when you are doing 40 I'll die, but at 30 I'll live". If you stay on the pavement when traffic is coming it doesn't matter how fast they are driving though does it?.......
    Are you quite certain pedestrians are always safe if they remain on the pavement?

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2016-02-20/woman-dies-in-collision-after-car-mounts-pavement/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/31/two-dead-car-chase-police-crashes-into-pedestrians-penge-london
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyclists on here aren't angry. They're competent road users which seems to baffle you.

I'm sure most are, but surely just like motorists there are likely to be both competent and incompetent ones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure