Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ..... these police officers pulled cyclists over and fined each of them £30.00. Any moterist know how much moter vehicles are fined, or awarded points if moterist went through these same red lights?

Cyclists only kill one third as many people as a result of this type of law breaking so their fine is only a third.......seems fair to me
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Cyclists only kill one third as many people as a result of this type of law breaking so their fine is only a third.......seems fair to me

Thank you for this, so is it just £90.00 for motorists for running a red light, or does that include points on the licence as well?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for this, so is it just £90.00 for motorists for running a red light, or does that include points on the licence as well?

It's possible to be offered a course, otherwise it's 3 points and £100 if it's a fixed penalty. More if found guilty in court, with disqualification possible.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    It's possible to be offered a course, otherwise it's 3 points and £100 if it's a fixed penalty. More if found guilty in court, with disqualification possible.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, maybe this is where the problem is then? far cheaper on two wheels than four
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had another bad experience on the way home today regarding cyclists. Two lane traffic either side, I am turning right at the lights, a right green arrow shows, as I drive forward two idiot cyclist go through their red lights on the opposite side of the road, which almost resulted in me ploughing into them. I drive 300 meters, approached a small round-a-bout. one of the idiot cyclists approach the round-a-bout, takes the second exit, no indication to let me know which exit he was taking.

a fe hundred meters again, I approach a zed bra crossing to allow a stream of people crossing, i stop. one of the idiot cyclists ploughs through the people crossing. I so love those rule breaking cyclists.

I have a suggestion for you. Why not start a blog with your views, and invite people to comment there. As you will be moderator you can then decide to allow only the views you want to hear.

Oh and once you have done this, bog off and stop posting obvious troll posts.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

OK so statistically you are 3.333 times more likely to die or be maimed for life if hit by a car compared with being hit by a cyclist going through a red light hence the difference in fines to reflect the danger.

More danger - more dosh!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2016 at 8:49AM
    Options
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, maybe this is where the problem is then? far cheaper on two wheels than four
    Maybe you're a clueless bigot.

Something else for you to ignore.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release/2012-05-15/iam-red-light-jumping-stats-for-cyclists-misleading-says-ctc

“Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping, only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does. As an organisation representing those two road user groups, CTC suggests the Institute of Advanced Motorists ought to call for more road traffic policing to enforce traffic laws, rather than highlighting red light jumping by cyclists.”

Data obtained from Transport for London by CTC revealed that from 1998-2007 an average of 5 pedestrians were injured per year after a cyclist had jumped a red light, whereas 14 were injured by red light jumping motorcyclists, 78 by red light jumping car drivers and 13 in collisions with taxis, buses or other vehicles. In addition, 5% of cyclists killed and seriously injured in London in 3 of the most recent years occurred after the cyclist had disobeyed a red traffic light or give way marking; 15% of cyclists were killed or seriously injured when another vehicle disobeyed a red traffic light or give way marking.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Are motoring near misses counted?
    I'm sure most of the cyclists here could count several near misses! Maybe some of the cycling groups will have their own statistics based on member's observations. Official figures - probably not. As jack_pott points out - it's very subjective and thus unreliable.
    jack_pott wrote: »
    you selectively refer to cycling near misses and not motoring, which is why near misses and injuries are not reliable measures of risk.
    Yes... because I'm explaining why I dispute the attitude of some posters that cyclists pose no risk to anyone but themselves or that cyclists who break rules are magically justified in doing so because motor vehicles are more dangerous. I'm highlighting cycling near misses because they are the ones that present a hazard to me (and other pedestrians) on a near-daily basis. {I encountered the "overtake stopped vehicles and ride through a zebra crossing between pedestrians" type again yestereve}.

I'm not anti-cyclist. I'm just anti-the minority of incompetent/inconsiderate/ignorant/arrogant cyclists who pose a risk to pedestrians.

I'm not disagreeing that there are cases when cyclists break rules in order to protect themselves and that need could often be removed by a) better rules b) better road design and c) other road users following all the rules. I'm pointing out that there are cases when cyclists break rules because they a) merely find them inconvenient b) are unaware that there are such rules c) consider the risk of said rules being enforced minimal.

I'm not denying that there are plenty of examples of bad driving e.g. I could describe the occasion when I've had to jump back from a white van man whizzing through a pelican on red with mobile phone clamped to his ear but that's a different thread. I'm certainly not denying that many drivers break rules for all the reasons in the previous paragraph.

I don't have a simple answer to the OP's actual question. It's a combination of improve the infrastructure in some cases and enforce the rules when they are being flaunted in others.
    I need to think of something new here...
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2016 at 9:17AM
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, I witness a motorcyclist do to a cyclist what every car owner wishes they did.

Near the old street roundabout (london) there is a section which is traffic light controlled with bikes and moto vehicles. It's part of the cycle superhigheway. In order for the cyclists to be able to turn right safely the traffic is filtered.

Cyclists were meant to be stopped (red light), but one cyclist decided to be an arrogant idiot (non helmet wear) and just beat his red. A motobike decided to deliberately ram into the bicyclists rear wheel. Warping it and making it bent out of shape, which means the cyclist will probably need to carry his bike home.

It was a pretty deliberate ramming and the motorcyclist taunted the pushbiker to look at the traffic lights and then just sped off.

edit: okok not what every car owner wishes they did.
  • MikeWhite
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, I witness a motorcyclist do to a cyclist what every car owner wishes they did.

Near the old street roundabout (london) there is a section which is traffic light controlled with bikes and moto vehicles. It's part of the cycle superhigheway. In order for the cyclists to be able to turn right safely the traffic is filtered.

Cyclists were meant to be stopped (red light), but one cyclist decided to be an arrogant idiot (non helmet wear) and just beat his red. A motobike decided to deliberately ram into the bicyclists rear wheel. Warping it and making it bent out of shape, which means the cyclist will probably need to carry his bike home.

It was a pretty deliberate ramming and the motorcyclist taunted the pushbiker to look at the traffic lights and then just sped off.

Speak for yourself. And if that's really your wish I suggest you stop driving, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport