Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is completely unrelated to this thread.

Cyclists and cars? Seems totally related. I didnt see you jumping in at the mention of tax and insurance? Why not?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    The rear wheels of a vehicle always cut the corner, so the need to swing out depends on the relationship between the radius of the bend and the turning circle of the vehicle. A Mini on a wide radius won't need to swing out, but with a longer vehicle or tighter bend the rear wheels will clip if you don't.
    Which will need explaining to some people who are having driving lessons and keep clipping the kerb.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Cyclists and cars? Seems totally related. I didnt see you jumping in at the mention of tax and insurance? Why not?

The thread is aimed at motorists, and to look at why cyclists choose not to follow the highway code, its not about cars crashing into a cafe, sorry you miss understood the first thread.

In regards to tax and insurance, this is also unrelated, so that is why i did not "jump" as you quoted.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2016 at 8:44PM
    Options
    The thread is aimed at motorists, and to look at why cyclists choose not to follow the highway code.
    Surely it should be aimed at cyclists as only they know why they do what they do. Motorists are just bystanders.

You wont respond to this because its not what you want to hear.

This thread that you started is completely pointless.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    The rear wheels of a vehicle always cut the corner, so the need to swing out depends on the relationship between the radius of the bend and the turning circle of the vehicle. A Mini on a wide radius won't need to swing out, but with a longer vehicle or tighter bend the rear wheels will clip if you don't.
    True. But I would argue that for the vast majority of cars, on the vast majority of bends, there is no need to take an exaggerated swing in the opposite direction to clear the corner safely. The claim was that a) this was taught as the correct method to turn into a junction, and b) that this is in the highway code. It isn't.

On a second point, if you need to swing in the opposite direction to the way you are turning (i.e. the opposite of what your signal is saying), then you need to take extra care, more observations etc, as what you are doing will be unexpected. The usual one is to swing to the right before a sharp left turn, but I have the opposite situation. To get into the lane up to my house (acute RH turn off narrow B road), I have to drive far to the left before I turn sharp right. I'm observing following traffic for the previous half mile, I signal early and I back it up with a hand signal before I pull left. And I am always prepared to stop the manoeuvre if someone hasn't picked up what I am doing - people still try to overtake me sometimes, even with my hairy arm sticking out. Some drivers are muppets, but you need to account for that in your decision-making.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,665 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this allowed for comment? I'm a cyclist but you don't seem to respond to their comments

http://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/cycling/furious-pedestrian-cyclist-races-through-crossing/

Good on the pedestrian for challenging
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    On a second point, if you need to swing in the opposite direction to the way you are turning (i.e. the opposite of what your signal is saying), then you need to take extra care, more observations etc, as what you are doing will be unexpected.

I'd fully expect it of any larger car or vehicle, we're taught this in driving lessons, to watch out for large vehicles that may appear to be in the wrong position to turn the direction they are indicating. It's meant for when an articulated lorry is turning right on a small roundabout, to stop people get squashed, BUT we should all consider the size of the vehicles around us and understand how they may have to drive.

The key isn't observing just prior to the manoeuvre either, the key is not driving about in autopilot and knowing/remembering the positions and speeds of cars/bikes/cyclists around you.

The number of drivers that overtake cyclists and then take the next left turn (cutting them off) or pull in to park is shocking, known as the left hook. It happens because that driver isn't really paying attention to the road and has almost instantly forgotten the cyclist they just overtook.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I'd fully expect it of any larger car or vehicle, we're taught this in driving lessons, to watch out for large vehicles that may appear to be in the wrong position to turn the direction they are indicating. It's meant for when an articulated lorry is turning right on a small roundabout, to stop people get squashed, BUT we should all consider the size of the vehicles around us and understand how they may have to drive.

The key isn't observing just prior to the manoeuvre either, the key is not driving about in autopilot and knowing/remembering the positions and speeds of cars/bikes/cyclists around you.

The number of drivers that overtake cyclists and then take the next left turn (cutting them off) or pull in to park is shocking, known as the left hook. It happens because that driver isn't really paying attention to the road and has almost instantly forgotten the cyclist they just overtook.
    I don't disagree with any of that. My point was that swinging right or left before a turn is not necessary for most vehicles in most cases.

Trinidadone implied it was a universal procedure:

Hello facade, you are absolutely correct, drivers veer left or right depending on the turn made, we are taught like that during our driving lessons, and it is also in the highway code.

I was never taught to swing out when making a turn (in fact, in my first lesson I was slapped on the wrist for doing so), although it is necessary in certain circumstances, with due care and observation. I asked him/her for a reference to where the HC states this, and I am still waiting for a reply.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey fellow motorist, I wanted to ask, with a minority of cyclist using the roads in a bad manner, would a compulsory training course for cyclist work, or would this be a waste of time, especially (as some cyclists on this thread have suggested), most cyclist are car drivers anyway???
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hey fellow motorist, I wanted to ask, with a minority of cyclist using the roads in a bad manner, would a compulsory training course for cyclist work, or would this be a waste of time, especially (as some cyclists on this thread have suggested), most cyclist are car drivers anyway???

If there was a training course, then cyclists would annoy drivers even more than they do now, for example:

-Avoiding door zones.

-Taking the middle of the lane sometimes to prevent drivers squeezing through where it could be dangerous, blind bends, over hump back bridges and through pinch points.

Which is why I don't think it would ever be made mandatory.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure