Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2016 at 3:38PM
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    On a personal level, I'd say I see more cyclists than drivers do things such as igniring red lights, one way systems or pedestrian crossings
    Are you including the 2 or 3 drivers who dash through the lights who could stop but choose not to because the lights have only just gone red. Recently as I was stopping for a red light the car following me changed lane and overtook me to drive through the lights. Theres a pedestrian crossing at the end of my road which I always stop at when cycling if necessary. When I cross it as a pedestrian many motorists stare straight ahead and pretend they cannot see me. Sometimes I wave at them. They always look to see who's waving so they can obviously see me.

I'm not supporting cyclists breaking the rules but it could be argued that cyclists and others would consider it more acceptable to break rules such as passing red lights or crossings when they should stop as it is far less dangerous to others compared to motorists committing the same offence.

I think there's a proportion of motorists, generally young or inexperienced, who either ignorantly or actively choose to believe there is a hierarchy among road users and these motorists are keen to find fault with cyclist to support their own position which is clearly daft as many adult cyclists are capable and experienced motorists.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 October 2016 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Have you reported the incident(s) to the bus company?

They should know which driver was driving which bus at a certain time and place.

If they get more than one or two reports about an individual driver they may well take action, even if there is no hard evidence.

Yes I reported the bus driver to his company. I had the time and I memorised the number plate. I have not had another incident like that.

My latest campaign is the amount of times I have seen bus drivers jump a certain set of lights, I need to catch that on video.

I just wish I had had a camera the time when a lorry was so close to me that I had to jump off my bike. One minute I was on the road then before I knew it I was on my feet on the path, if I had not got off my bike I would have been under its wheels, I don't think he saw me even though I always wear high visibility.

I have given up going round a local junction on the road, it is a left turn but there is a road off it to a supermarket which is also left, I go round there and people assume I am going to the supermarket even though I am not indicating then cut across me and complain because I am going straight up, or they pull out in front of me because they think I am going into the supermarket, all I want to do is use the main road but I cannot risk it, I walk around on thread path now, it is not worth risking my life over.

The funniest incident I had was near a pedestrianised area, there was this pedestrian walking on the road and he had a go at me for cycling on a pedestrianised area. He would not accept he was on a road, even though there was central white lines and double yellows. Even funnier, when the pedestrianised area was created it was made clear that cyclists could use it, mainly because the route round it would be horrendous. But no, there was no way he could actually be wrong:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Yes, in the overall scheme of things they are just an irritant.

Along with people who can't spell or punctuate, or who use txtspk; fat adults who wear replica football shirts; Diane Abbott; Alex Salmond; Liam Fox, and others too numerous to list.

However, unlike bad cyclists, none of these are an actual danger to themselves and others.

Fat adults are a danger to themselves.

So is Diane Abbot. If I ever saw her in the street my normally peaceful persona would take a back seat while I slapped the hypocritical ***** a few times. :D
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please explain what a pinch point is and how increasing police enforcement at them would help.

I watched two PCSO's on bikes see a cycle go through a red traffic light. They set off in hot pursuit, the only problem was as the light was red, the green light for pedestrians was alight and they promptly rode into two pedestrians.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Overtaking someone on a motorway is not dangerous... someone pulls out dangerously or whatever, yes I do beep them. I'm not the police, I don't care about most little things but if someone is genuinely dangerously driving I will beep at them, equally I will shout to a cyclist.

How about if you were waiting at a pedestrian crossing in your car and a cyclist went through on red well after any pedestrians had safely finished crossing? Would you beep or shout at them?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What do you mean "tax that doesn't exist"? I pay £300 road tax a year I am fairly sure that exists. I know that there are cars exempt from it, which I think is wrong.
    Road Tax was abolished in 1937, by Winston Churchill. Road building is funded out of general taxation, which cyclists pay along with everyone else. We now have VED (vehicle excise duty), which is a tax on how much pollution your vehicle makes. Some cars pay zero VED for this reason. Now do you see why cyclists don't pay road tax?
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are cyclists who dress in dark colours and don't have any lights on their bike - or even if they do they're not powerful enough to make themselves visible.
    There was a thread on here not so long ago on the theme of 'why do so many cyclists have these stupid bright lights?'

We can't win.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    How about if you were waiting at a pedestrian crossing in your car and a cyclist went through on red well after any pedestrians had safely finished crossing? Would you beep or shout at them?

If the lights were on red then the cyclist would be committing an offence, pedestrians or not, and his view of the crossing would presumably be restricted by my car. The law allows the use of a horn while stationary "at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road".
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    If the lights were on red then the cyclist would be committing an offence, pedestrians or not, and his view of the crossing would presumably be restricted by my car. The law allows the use of a horn while stationary "at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road".

How would the cyclist be putting you in danger? And why not beep at cars committing a speeding offence?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    How would the cyclist be putting you in danger? And why not beep at cars committing a speeding offence?
    No danger to me, but to pedestrians (and other cyclists if it's a Toucan crossing).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure