Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. - Page 33

New Post Advanced Search

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
374 replies 58K views
1303133353638

Replies

  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst your are right to question but someone clearly needed to do something to help as Ann is in need and unable to take that step herself.

    Whilst Ann is troubled with one issue she comes across well and I trust she knows not to give out personal information.

    Having said that I do think it might be best for Anns sake to remove the thread BUT the MSE team need to make an exception to inform Ann of what has happened and why her thread had to be deleted, not just do so without her knowledge, this would cause further upset.

    I will not be reporting as too many reports will make it disappear automatically and I don't want that I want MSE to read and understand how important it is to treat this differently and inform Ann of their decision if they decide to remove.

    No No.
    That's not going to help me at all.
    Ann Barbs is not my real name and I have not given anyone here any personal information that can identify me.
    So nobody here knows who I am.
    So there is no need to remove this thread.

    You keep on saying I need psychiatric help.
    I am no more ill than you are.
    I am just upset because I have not got my inheritance and I want to get this sorted out.
    That's all.

    A lot of members here seem to be siding with my sister but they don't know the facts.
    My sister cut me off without contact when my father died.
    And I only saw my mother although I and mum were not very close.

    My mum died and has left a third of her estate to me and my 2 sisters along with some money.

    My mum made my sisters executives of the will.
    But I cannot go to my sisters because they do not want any contact with me and they are hostile to me.

    That is why I have gone to a Solicitor because I cannot approach my sisters myself.

    The rest you know.
    My sisters did not want to sell the house but they did so because my Solicitor made them.

    Now the house has been sold but it has all gone wrong and I have not got my money.

    I thought I was finally going to have a better relationship with my sister when she phoned me a few weeks ago tell me she was paying me the money.


    Then she found out she could not because of the banks policies.
    And now my sister has turned hostile to me again and won't talk to me at all.
    And she won't answer my emails.

    And now my solicitor is either deliberately not taking my calls or is either too busy to.
    I think my solicitor may not wanting to have any more conversations with me.

    Because every time I phone the receptionist says he is either with a client or not there.
    And tells me to phone back in an hour, but when I do she tells me to phone back in another hour.
    And this has been going on for days now since I have been trying to reach my solicitor.


    So I think the solicitor is possibly not bothering with me any more.
    I may have MH problems but I am NOT stupid.
    I know when someone is fobbing me off.
    And I think my solicitor is not very helpful.

    So I have decided I have no alternative but to go and see another solicitor at least for a consultation as to what I do next.

    because I have not got my inheritance and while a Social worker, a psychiatrist or a GP, can give me emotional support.

    They cannot get me my inheritance or help in any way with this matter because it is not their job.

    The only person who can help me regarding getting my inheritance is a solicitor or possibly a legal advice center such as the CAB.

    But unfortunately Wills and Probate is not covered by Legal Aid.
    So I will have to pay for any legal advice and work that is done myself which will come out of my inheritance.

    Which means if I am not happy with this Solicitor which I am not, I will have to find another solicitor on my own.
    The CMHT cannot help with this problem of getting my inheritace it is up to me to sort it out and I will do.

    And if that means going to another solicitor then so be it.
    But at least that way I will get my money.
  • edited 27 October 2016 at 11:56AM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    25K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2016 at 11:56AM
    Ann, just take a deep breath and stop and think for a moment.
    This is what you said a couple of days ago.

    "So my solicitor has told me what he will do.
    And even if he saw me at his office in person-He is only going to tell me the same thing that he told me on the phone.
    But he never said he won't help me.
    It's me that is just thinking that.
    As I am looking at the worst side. as I always do."

    Nothing has changed since then.This still applies.
    I think you are right that he is avoiding taking your calls at the moment. But this is because there is nothing new to say that you haven't already discussed, and he is trying not to rack up charges for you by unnecessary phone calls and emails. You already know that you need to wait for a few more weeks to see what happens with your ill sister's health. That hasn't changed either. It is clearly difficult for you, but try to sit tight for another month with the legal advice.

    With regards to closing the thread, if Ann does not want it closed then she will either start another one or look to post somewhere else. So this one might as well continue where people are familiar with her situation and trying to be supportive. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of this one which may confuse things for Ann even more if people aren't familiar with what'd going on and offer conflicting suggestions and opinions.

    Diagnosis from a third party who has not met the person is not helpful and should not be put on an open forum for all to see, even if the intention is well meant. It is not going to help Ann as she is feeling at the moment to be reading about trustees etc. and could make her anxiety worse.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't have your money until your sister is able to sign for it OR she is judged incapable of doing so. Another solicitor will tell you exactly the same. You are Wasting Your Inheritance on solicitors.

    Stop phoning, emailing or contacting either your sisters or the solicitor for a couple of weeks. After that, a polite e-mail may not come amiss.

    ETA: Totally agree with elsien's post above.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • edited 27 October 2016 at 11:54AM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2016 at 11:54AM
    Nothing has changed since then.This still applies.
    I think you are right that he is avoiding taking your calls at the moment.
    I think so too.
    Because every time I phone the receptionist keeps telling me he is with a client or out and to call back in an hour.
    And when I do the receptionist gives me the same story.
    And he has not tried to phone me even though I keep leaving the receptionist my phone number my solicitor has not phoned me.

    So I think he is avoiding me.
    Which is not good.
    That's why I am now going to try to see another solicitor somewhere else.
    Because I need help with this.
    I have not got my money and nothing is being done about it.

    I phoned up the Wills and Probate Helpline today.
    And they told me if I am not happy with my solicitor I can get another one.
    But it won't be covered by Legal Aid as we know.

    I am going up to my CMHT today to try to see my EX-CMHT Social worker.
    If she is not there then I will ask to se the Duty Officer and tell them what has happened.
    I have got to tell someone I cannot keep this bottled up any longer.
    And I am going to see another solicitor because I need to find out where I go from here.
  • ViolaLassViolaLass Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    You keep on saying I need psychiatric help.
    I am no more ill than you are.

    Prove it, go and register with your GP.
  • edited 27 October 2016 at 11:56AM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    25K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2016 at 11:56AM
    annbarbs wrote: »
    So I think he is avoiding me.
    Which is not good.
    That's why I am now going to try to see another solicitor somewhere else.
    Because I need help with this.
    I have not got my money and nothing is being done about it.

    I disagree. The solicitor not talking to you is a good thing from a money perspective because you are not tacking up more bills for a situation where right now there is nothing more that can be done.
    You want to talk to him to help with your anxiety, but there is nothing else he can do or say that will change anything right now.
    He is doing his job and he is trying to save you money. You are not going to find anything better than than this by going to see someone else to be told exactly the same thing. It will just end up costing you more and you won't be any further forward.


    "So my solicitor has told me what he will do.
    And even if he saw me at his office in person-He is only going to tell me the same thing that he told me on the phone.
    But he never said he won't help me.
    It's me that is just thinking that.
    As I am looking at the worst side. as I always do."


    Have you emailed your ex CMHT worker yet?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    You keep on saying I need psychiatric help.
    I am no more ill than you are.
    I am just upset because I have not got my inheritance and I want to get this sorted out.
    That's all.
    ...
    So I have decided I have no alternative but to go and see another solicitor at least for a consultation as to what I do next.
    With all due respect Ann, you are ill - most people on this thread wouldn't respond the way you are to this situation - e.g. contacting another solicitor despite repeatedly being told why that's not a good idea.
  • BrightyBrighty Forumite
    755 posts
    ✭✭✭
    :wall:

    Brighty
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    No No.
    That's not going to help me at all.
    Ann Barbs is not my real name and I have not given anyone here any personal information that can identify me.
    So nobody here knows who I am.
    So there is no need to remove this thread.

    You keep on saying I need psychiatric help.
    I am no more ill than you are.
    I am just upset because I have not got my inheritance and I want to get this sorted out.
    That's all.

    A lot of members here seem to be siding with my sister but they don't know the facts.
    My sister cut me off without contact when my father died.
    And I only saw my mother although I and mum were not very close.

    My mum died and has left a third of her estate to me and my 2 sisters along with some money.

    My mum made my sisters executives of the will.
    But I cannot go to my sisters because they do not want any contact with me and they are hostile to me.

    That is why I have gone to a Solicitor because I cannot approach my sisters myself.

    The rest you know.
    My sisters did not want to sell the house but they did so because my Solicitor made them.

    Now the house has been sold but it has all gone wrong and I have not got my money.

    I thought I was finally going to have a better relationship with my sister when she phoned me a few weeks ago tell me she was paying me the money.


    Then she found out she could not because of the banks policies.
    And now my sister has turned hostile to me again and won't talk to me at all.
    And she won't answer my emails.

    Because every time I phone the receptionist says he is either with a client or not there.
    And tells me to phone back in an hour, but when I do she tells me to phone back in another hour.
    And this has been going on for days now since I have been trying to reach my solicitor.


    So I think the solicitor is possibly not bothering with me any more.
    I may have MH problems but I am NOT stupid. You may not be stupid - but you are being very, very foolish. Do you know what hourly rate a solicitor charges? Do you realise that EVERY TIME you call him, he will charge you for one-tenth of that hourly rate for every short call - even if it is just to say "there is no more news"
    I know when someone is fobbing me off.
    And I think my solicitor is not very helpful. He i trying to keep your bill down.

    So I have decided I have no alternative but to go and see another solicitor at least for a consultation as to what I do next.

    because I have not got my inheritance and while a Social worker, a psychiatrist or a GP, can give me emotional support.

    They cannot get me my inheritance or help in any way with this matter because it is not their job.

    The only person who can help me regarding getting my inheritance is a solicitor or possibly a legal advice center such as the CAB.

    But unfortunately Wills and Probate is not covered by Legal Aid.
    So I will have to pay for any legal advice and work that is done myself which will come out of my inheritance.

    Which means if I am not happy with this Solicitor which I am not, I will have to find another solicitor on my own.
    The CMHT cannot help with this problem of getting my inheritace it is up to me to sort it out and I will do.

    And if that means going to another solicitor then so be it.
    But at least that way I will get my money. And each and every solicitor you see will erode your legacy more and more.


    Think about this scenario : Once upon a time, there was a mother and she had three daughters. One lived with the mother, one lived nearby and the other seemed to have distanced herself from everyone else since the death of her husband (their father). Mother decided to be extremely fair when she wrote her will, and appointed the two sisters who lived close by as her executors, but left everything to be divided equally between the three sisters.

    When she died, the daughter who lived with her and her sister who lived nearby applied for probate - but the sister who had little or no contact with the other two insisted that she wanted her money immediately and demanded that the house (the home of the sister who lived with mother) be sold. She wasn't bothered about the upheaval that would entail, in 1st sister having to find somewhere to live - SHE WANTED HER INHERITANCE - AND SHE WANTED IT NOW.

    This sister appointed a solicitor who told the two exectuors that they would have to sell the house immediately - which they did, and sister had to find another home. The two sisters then carried out the rest of the probate, up to the point of distributing the legacies when the stress of all this, plus of course the grief that these sisters felt about the loss of their mother, caused one sister to have a breakdown which meant she had to be hospitalised.

    This meant that payment of the legacies would be held up, as both executors have to sign the legacy cheques - but the sister who had insisted that she wanted her inheritance now became extremely angry and almost aggressive in her unrelenting pressure that SHE HAD TO HAVE HER INHERITANCE NOW.


    What do you think about this story?
  • altojackaltojack Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Prove it, go and register with your GP.

    And is this meant to be encouraging ? Demanding OP to prove anything is only going to put more pressure on her. Not a good move in any way.
    There's no place like home :)

    Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

    Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support