Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. - Page 35

New Post Advanced Search

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
374 replies 58K views

Replies

• leespotleespot Forumite
    554 posts
    I honestly think now would be a good time for you to take a break from the forums - you have all the information to all of the questions you have asked. You could afford to take some time out and relax after the recent difficulties. I hope you get your issues resolved soon.
  • ViolaLassViolaLass Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SnooksNJ wrote: »
    I think if that were the case the sisters would have convinced the Mom to either not include the OP in the will or sign at least a portion of the house over to them at some point. The £77K in cash would be stashed somewhere as well.

I don't think the solicitor is trying anything either but I wanted to hear annbarbs reasons.
  • edited 27 October 2016 at 6:02PM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2016 at 6:02PM
    Actually this forum has helped me a lot.
    What really panicked me was when the woman in the launderette said the worst scenario is that I won't get my money.
    But maybe the woman in the launderette should not have told me that.
    She does not mean any harm but does not know.
    She does not understand the laws of probate and neither do I really.

But now that my solicitor has told me and other members here have told me who have been through the same thing themselves.
    I understand now that is not going to happen.

I will get my money but it could take a long time.
    If it come to my solicitor having to go to court or if my sister does not get well.

But even if I do have to wait months or even a year, it will be better than not getting my inheritance at all.

Well now I know there is no "not getting my money at all."
    I will get my money but I may have to wait along time worse way-But I will get it.

I am getting my full benefits including the High rate Of Care DLA.
    So I get £290 a week plus most of my rent and Council Tax Paid.
    All I pay is £29 a month rent and £14 a month Council tax.

So I am one of the more fortunate ones in that I am not starving and living of £50 jobseekers like some people are.

So if I have to wait 6 months or longer to get my inheritance it's not going to effect me.

As someone else I spoke to said said once my inheritance come my benefits will stop.
    And I will have to pay £608 a month rent and live off my money.

So in a way I am better off as I am now.
    Because at least I get most of my rent paid.

And I can save money on what I get if I want to.
    They are right in a way.

Because if I had my inheritance now I will have more stress.
    I will have to pay all of that rent myself and will have to start looking for a cheaper place to live.
    And that is not gonna be so easy.
    It's still hard to get a private flat even if you are not on benefits.
    Getting my inheritance will help but it is not a cure all for all of my problems.

And as we know that money is not enough to last me a lifetime.
    Even if I do move up North I will have to go back on benefits one day when the money runs out.
    Be it 10 years or 15 years.
  • iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ann - I am glad you are feeling a bit better and this forum and post are helping you.

Have you printed or written down your last posts. and stuck them somewhere you can see them, the fridge for example?

Please do this now and come back to tell us you have done so, I appreciate you don't understand empathy but posters on here are concerned for you, they will be happy to know you have done something positive to help yourself.

If you come asking for help again and repeating the same things, it is not your fault we know that but we can just direct you to read your own posts that you have stuck on the fridge or somewhere.

I know you are not stupid nobody has said that, you are clearly very intelligent but everyone needs some help and advise some times.

Print/write your posts out.
  • BrightyBrighty Forumite
    755 posts
    ✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I am getting my full benefits including the High rate Of Care DLA.
    So I get £290 a week plus most of my rent and Council Tax Paid.
    All I pay is £29 a month rent and £14 a month Council tax.

So I am one of the more fortunate ones in that I am not starving and living of £50 jobseekers like some people are.

£290 a week? Yes Ann, you are one of the more fortunate ones. You have more disposable income than me, working 40hrs a week after i've paid my mortgage and council tax.

Brighty
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one thing that is worrying me about all of this.
    I search the Net today and found these alarming posts about the DWP finding out that people have inherited their mum or dad's estate in their will.
    And the DWP have demanded re payments as a result.

See these posts I found here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4046333&page=2#topofpage

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?32937-DWP-Recovery-from-Estates

My mothers will is both a legal will and public property.
    Meaning anyone including the DWP can find out about it if they want to.

So I am worried that if my problem getting my inheritace goes on for months or even years as it could do- If the DWP find out athat I have inherited a third of my mothers estate but have not got my money(which is from no fault of my own) can the DWP stop my benefits?
    I am very worried about this since my mother's house is now sold.
    And am suposed to be paid my money by the executors my sisters, but I have not beenbecause either my sisterrs are deliberatly refusing to pay it or it cannot be paid to me for the reason I mentioned in my first post.

My question is if my problem getting my inheritance goes on for months or even years and the DWP find out about mum's will and that she left money from her estate to me?
    Can the DWP stop my benefits even though I have not got my money and have no means of getting it, which I haven't?
  • poppystarpoppystar Forumite
    473 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Both of those links seem to relate to payments from the estate to do with benefits the deceased had been receiving. This will have been sorted out, if applicable, by your sisters when they were executing the will and be reflected in the amount available for distribution. So this is not a worry for you as it will have been dealt with.

I think it highly unlikely your own benefits would stop when you clearly have not received your inheritance yet and can prove that.

I do not know when the DWP consider an inheritance to have been received. This is something you could check - or hopefully someone will come along here who knows. The worst case scenario is that they might later claim back some money you have received while waiting to get your inheritance paid to you but as you will then have the money you thankfully won't be without money at any point.
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    There is one thing that is worrying me about all of this.
    I search the Net today and found these alarming posts about the DWP finding out that people have inherited their mum or dad's estate in their will.
    And the DWP have demanded re payments as a result.

See these posts I found here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4046333&page=2#topofpage

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?32937-DWP-Recovery-from-Estates

My mothers will is both a legal will and public property.
    Meaning anyone including the DWP can find out about it if they want to.

So I am worried that if my problem getting my inheritace goes on for months or even years as it could do- If the DWP find out athat I have inherited a third of my mothers estate but have not got my money(which is from no fault of my own) can the DWP stop my benefits?
    I am very worried about this since my mother's house is now sold.
    And am suposed to be paid my money by the executors my sisters, but I have not beenbecause either my sisterrs are deliberatly refusing to pay it or it cannot be paid to me for the reason I mentioned in my first post.

My question is if my problem getting my inheritance goes on for months or even years and the DWP find out about mum's will and that she left money from her estate to me?
    Can the DWP stop my benefits even though I have not got my money and have no means of getting it, which I haven't?

AnnaBarbs - just STOP IT! STOP WORRYING!

Your mother had substantial savings, therefore she would not be claiming pension credit, would she? Her entitlement to statutory pension would not be affected by savings - so do not worry about this!
  • melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    As genuinely caring posters we have held your hand Annbarbs and tried to help.

I have a family member on the Autism scale and he needs help too. He gets help from family and an advocate with his care team.

I just mention the Autism because a previous poster mentioned s/he was helping you with Aspergers which is now called Autism Spectrum.

Time to take time out now I think.

It will all be well in time.
  • edited 28 October 2016 at 6:47PM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2016 at 6:47PM
    I was talking about myself not my mother.
    I am on ESA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and DLA.

If for any reason my savings go to over £6000 or 16k or if I have any bonds or capital over that. The law says I have to tell the DWP and HB. And all of MY ESA, HB and CT will be stopped.

My mum left a will when she died and it says in her will that I inheritance a third of her estate and her assets(her savings.)

But although the house has now been sold and the whole of the money from the sale of the house has been paid out to the executors(my Sisters.)

I have not got my third share of the money from the estate because my sister have not given it to me.

And there is nothing I can do about this because my sisters are executors of the will not me.
    I am only a beneficiary.

And Barclays Bank won't release the money to me or anybody unless my 2 sisters go to the bank together and sign which they won't.

So there is no way I can get my money.

But can the DWP stop my benefits if they find out about this,even though I have not go the money?
    Because my sisters won't give it to me, and my solicitor is not doing much to sort this out and I cannot sort it out myself?

If they found a copy of my mothers will they will know mum left a third of her estate to me and that the house has been sold if they checked up.

So could the DWP stop my money if they did find out about mum's will, which they could do if the problem getting my inheritace drags on for months or even years and years does not get resolved?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support