Would you marry again if you were widowed?

Options

Comments

• Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, I wouldn't marry again if DH died - what we have is so special that I know I'd never find it again, and anything less than that wouldn't be enough.

I would however get a dog: A whippet or lurcher. DH doesn't like, and is allergic to dogs, so I'd get a four-legged friend to keep me company.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think remarriage in older life after a bereavement can have many financial complications, especially if there were children in the marriage. The issue of future inheritance always seems to raise its difficult head. In these days of cohabitation many bereaved older people who do not want to be alone seem to be going this route.

If you've lived all your adult life with one person and that has been a happy life it would seem impossible to replace it and any subsequence relationship might feel like second best. . In later life though I suspect that friendship and companionship still needs to have a place in many peoples' lives, but opting for marriage may not necessarily be the only option.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'm just catching up on Corrie now. 5 mins in and Kathy is being a real cow to Alex. How is it his fault?
    Did you hit the wrong thread?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=bugslet;71375Friend_of_mine_met_her_future_husband_whilst_filling_up_with_petrol_on_a_garage_forecourt._Crazy_things_happen![/QUOTE]

I met an ex girlfriend like that. I was filling up at the pump next to the pavement and she was walking past so i just started talking to her, then offered her a lift. She was going the opposite direction but what does that matter.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I married at 20, having known my OH since I was 17. We were married for almost 48 years, when I lost him in 2011 - fifty years since we became engaged to be married.

Two years ago I met a really lovely chap who had been widowed since 2008, we are very very fond of each other - but we won't marry - he will never be "my true love", nor will I be his. Nor have we any plans to live together - although we spend almost every weekend together and enjoy our holidays. Since 2011 I have discovered the luxury of living by myself, choosing to eat what I want, when I want, not having to negotiate tv channels etc etc etc. And in any case, we both have families and why complicate things when we eventually pop our clogs? No, we are happy with life as it is! Best of both worlds.
  • Alwayspurple
    Options
    Never say never. I was widowed when I was 34
  • Tammykitty
    Options
    If anything happened to me, I would want my husband to remarry - he deserves to be happy, and deserves to have a future.

We have discussed it, and he says he would never remarry - but he knows he has my blessing if he wanted to.

I do not see anything wrong with remarrying - you aren't replacing your first spouse, you are beginning a new relationship.

It would be nice to have someone to grow old with.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No I wouldn't remarry. I believe marriage is not just for life but for eternity.

We have been married 36 years and although, at times, OH drives me insane, we are very happy and are best friends as well as husband and wife.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    I've told my OH that if he were to die I would never be able to love again, so I would have to marry for money instead.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I will probably not marry again.

In the first few months after my marriage broke down, I just wanted to be held, to have that closeness, that company, I just wasn't used to being alone. We had met when I was 16 and we were together almost 20 years and although things were less than perfect at the end (some domestic abuse issues), it wasn't always that way. He had in fact been the love of my life.

As time has gone on, I have found I enjoy being in control of my own life, the flexibility I now have as I don't have to ok things with a partner before going ahead. Ok, maybe it is a little selfish but it is nice to have that control.

I will not count it out completely however, you never know what is around the corner but the idea of living with someone again makes me shudder and feel constricted....I would prefer more the idea of a companion to go for days out with, or dinner but probably not marriage.

Plus there is the other issue - who the begger could possibly want me, my wheelchair and all the other 'things' that being disabled brings.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure