PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caronc I'm sorry to read of the direction your life is taking . One of the reasons I started the thread is many of us who follow the old style way are suddenly unable to do so in the ways we used to . My original title was a bit misleading as in most cases it became apparent it wasn't always possible to be totally os . Some people found various gadgets shortcuts etc helped them . Affordability varies for different people but in my view if it doesn't mean landing in debt whatever can help is fine .
    I live on a low income and some things would be lovely but the bills take priority , we had many posters all with different difficulties but loads of advice to offer .
    One poster Larumbelle fired us up with bullet lists . I need to develop the art of that but keep forgetting and tend to ramble instead :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    So many views and ideas evolved that it wasn't really about tips anymore but sharing with like minded people , all without exception the sort you'd like in real life .
    You must be wondering about adjusting to the loss of work but there will be ways to ease the way . I don't know if you've read from the start but there are a lot of good posts there . Thanks for reminding me about your thread , the fog never lifts completely but it's reassuring to find I didn't imagine it .

LW Is it Zomorph you're talking about ? That and Oromorph are dds most effective meds although the Pregablin is better for her Fibro . Hope they get you sorted soon . Thanks for the virtual high fives - gotta love virtual :)
    polly
    Thank you I'll have a read back - I'm not too concerned about the income changes was very, very skint when my kids were wee and managed just fine and there is only me and pooch now to worry about financially :D I'm finding the "loss of future" frustrating until the last couple of years I was very career-orientated and find not having that in my life hard-going. Still I'm a "glass half full" kind of gal so will find new ways of stopping my mind stagnating:) And on the subject of glasses, it's Saturday evening and definitely wine time........ ;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    The loss of future is something many of us will identify with whether in a work related or everyday living way . It is very much a grieving process and although some things can be come to terms with others will bite back at times .
    I was left to raise my 4 offspring single handed but was lucky to have an old style upbringing which helped me make each penny do the work of many . I've never been one for stuff and bling , my only luxuries are books and the garden both of which can be dealt with frugally . However as a life long gardener , cook , make do and mender and knitter , diyer etc I find the limitations my health places on these things frustrating . I'm aware many have much worse to cope with including my youngest daughter and others on the threads but I constantly make decisions whether to push through the pain and pay dearly for days or be sensible and acknowledge I can't be that person anymore . Depending on whether or not I'm sensible or think what the heck that decides the outcome .

LW Don't forget polly is less letters to type :)

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • caronc
    Options
    The loss of future is something many of us will identify with whether in a work related or everyday living way . It is very much a grieving process and although some things can be come to terms with others will bite back at times .
    I was left to raise my 4 offspring single handed but was lucky to have an old style upbringing which helped me make each penny do the work of many . I've never been one for stuff and bling , my only luxuries are books and the garden both of which can be dealt with frugally . However as a life long gardener , cook , make do and mender and knitter , diyer etc I find the limitations my health places on these things frustrating . I'm aware many have much worse to cope with including my youngest daughter and others on the threads but I constantly make decisions whether to push through the pain and pay dearly for days or be sensible and acknowledge I can't be that person anymore . Depending on whether or not I'm sensible or think what the heck that decides the outcome .

LW Don't forget polly is less letters to type :)

polly x
    Can completely relate to that have definitely gone through the grieving process over the last few months :( but limitations or not I still plan to start some tomato and other seedlings as a nod to hopefully managing things a bit better. I didn't get my garden "put to bed" last winter which depresses me but have earmarked some cash (I'm not a blingy person either so don't spend much on "stuff") to get someone in to get it cleared up and set back up. Thankfully although I have a semi-allotment end to my garden I'm all pots and tubs so no heavy bending or digging to contend with and once up and running reasonably easy to maintain so I'm determined it is not something else I'm losing :D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I've gradually gone over to raised beds and large pots , so much easier . I've been planning the veg while my landline has been dead and it's taken nearly 2 months for bt to sort it after many efforts .
    I try to pace myself mindfully in the garden but it's hard to undo the habits of a lifetime :)
    I'm going to log out now to follow my secret 30 year vice of watching Casualty - ironic really considering hoe long we spend in that environment .
    Wishing you a restful night
    polly

• Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Thanks for springing this thread out of hibernation. :D I'll be a new joiner if I may? Following an escalation of meniere's disease and destructive treatment to try and curb it (unsuccessfully)I've been more or less housebound for nearly six months and as an outdoorsy sort I'm missing being out and about and from a OS perspective missing being able to visit the bargain shops and getting the most from the £1 in my purse:(. Unfortunately I'm likely to lose my job sooner rather than later and move to half pay next months but know I'll manage ok if I'm careful :D
    Have you tried taking anti-fungals for menieres?
    And then take Vit D3, B12, probiotics and pycnogenol (improves circulation to the inner ear)?
  • caronc
    Options
    Have you tried taking anti-fungals for menieres?
    And then take Vit D3, B12, probiotics and pycnogenol (improves circulation to the inner ear)?
    Yes over the years I've tried everything I can including acupuncture and chiropracty unfortunately to no avail before taking the difficult decision for selective destruction. Keeping off of caffiene, watching my salt, cooking mainly from scratch and taking betahistine are are the only things that have helped a little unfortunately one of these conditions that is pretty resistant in my case to settling down though I do know other folk have had some relief from the items above:)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LW Is it Zomorph you're talking about ? That and Oromorph are dds most effective meds although the Pregablin is better for her Fibro . Hope they get you sorted soon . Thanks for the virtual high fives - gotta love virtual :)
    polly
    It's a bit of a saga.
    Originally, a very nice Sikh Dr at the pain clinic put me on MST Continus plus Oramorph.
    GP since changed the MST Continus to Morphgesic - same stuff, (morphine sulphate), different brand, worked fine; but my pain has increased now, since an abortive attempt to add Gabapentin into the mix (this was disastrous, and I still suffer, even though I was on it only briefly).
    So I asked, and was granted, an increase from 30mg to 40mg twice daily of the Morphgesic - but the pharmacy can't obtain 10mg tablets of Morphgesic, (they don't make 40mg at all, so it'd be my current 30mg plus extra 10mg tablet) so they phoned surgery and asked for an "open" prescription for morphne sulphate tablets, so that they could issue MST Continus.
    Surgery then issued a NON-open script for Zomorph, which I cannot take because it's in capsule form and capsules don't stay down more than a minute or so, if I can force myself to put them in my mouth to start with _pale_ (gelatine - poison to me. I have to even look at ingredients in yogurt and that sort of thing to check there's no gelatine).
    So we're now waiting to see if they can come up with a script for tablets that the pharmacy can get a hold of.

Re: loss of future - that's one of the hardest things, imho. I was chucked on the scrapheap a good many years ago, and still can't accept it. Nowadays I'm finding even basic housework harder and harder to do; and though Mr LW is very good and mucks in brilliantly, it's just completely unacceptable to me to have to sit here and let him do the work.
    I am just so grateful for the dog-sitting; though I'm not getting as much of that as before as the franchise in this area closed, and I had to sign up with another company, who work in a different way from the old one.
    Next guest will be arriving on 4th March; after 2 months dogless, I can't wait!

Caronc lovely to "see" you here - you'll remember I'm the fraud who shouldn't really post on the "cooking for one" thread. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Morning all . Couldn't get to sleep and watched the clock until 4oclock this morning . Woke up about an hour ago , my own fault as I started reading back through the whole thread last night . So many different posters and so many ongoing situations we may never know the outcome of .
    Wonder how those applying for pip fared , did Haras aka Sarah get to Austria and how did the posters awaiting treatment go on . It's a bit like a book with missing pages . I do wonder if TMD manged to find the support to take some of the stress from her . Lots of others all with their own individual struggles and also good coping methods plus some laughs along the way . I do hope as the weather picks up and people emerge from winter we see them and also new friends come here .
    Weather is odd today cloudy with sea mist , there seems to be some brightness behind the murk and some wind .
    I'm just wondering what to do with the day . Lots of stuff that needs doing including moving the very heavy sofa to take a reading of the gas meter - that never ends well . After the Yahoo debacle of a few months ago which locked me out of my emails and never let me back I have moved to gmail now my landline is restored , much more user friendly and so far no rubbish or adverts . I'm working my way through changing my login details with only the contacts I need to keep . Luckily I don't bank on line and all bills are on direct debit although I can check my energy and bt bills online . I will not have numerous emails to trawl through in future from all the years of finding myself on numerous mailing lists so life should be much simpler .
    Caronc my gardens didn't get put to bed properly either , the past couple of years I've left it until this time of year to avoid the cold , windy weather as we go towards winter . I will take my cup of tea out and count the weeds , at least I can sort it bit by bit .

Random question Has anyone had experience of virtual medical appointments ? I know the mind boggles but what are they .
    Back later .
    polly:)

• caronc
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

LW - yes a remember you from "cooking for one" though not as a fraud though:D
    pollyanna 26 - what a nightmare re your emails I'd be scuppered. No virtual appointments here but could see they could make sense if both parties were agreeable

I have the dreaded PIP assessment next Saturday and the irony is I have home visit occupational health meeting this week and it's the same company.:eek: Shame the two couldn't be combined and save me being hauled by my sister to Glasgow LOL:)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi Caron I posted on one of the threads about my daughters face to face assessment at home - think I may have done one on the disability thread a few days ago which was a reply to Prinzess one of posters here and prompted me to bring this thread back to life .
    Which firm are conducting the assessment ? we had atos which we didn't realise still did them as they no longer do esa . There was such a fear culture around them that our hearts sank and the time leading up to it were very stressful . Long story short we were sent an angel , an experienced nurse who had read all the evidence and was kind and avoided any triggering of bad stuff for dd . After 5 months from starting the process to transfer from dla my daughter was awarded enhanced rates in both daily living and mobility . She has always had high care but low mobility on dla but now they have it spot on with the pip award . Any questions I will be happy to answer and if you need to rant or whatever while things proceed come on here many of us understand those feelings and this thread exists for everything big , small , happy or sad .
    I'm off for a brew but will be back later .
    polly x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport