Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Big_fan_of_Martin
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Larger branches of Natwest have coin counting machines also.

Your partner may also be interested in this to:

Thank you again stclair, I have read your information on accessible cards. My partner manages with his current card in cash machines, he does not bank with RBS or NatWest (I do) but won't use the at point of sale pin machines, not a problem with card but with the pin machine itself. Hence he pays cash and saves the change, I'm trying to assist by changing this back up to larger coins/notes.
    I will pass this link onto him for his information.
  • xHannahx
    xHannahx Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    I just pour my change jar into the self service till at asda or Tesco. Never had a problem yet.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i still find that the majority of HSBC branches do not have a coin deposit machine.
  • Bailey626
    Options
    Cleaning out the car I found I had a pile of change amassing in my centre arm rest,so decided that it would be worth cashing it in and hopefully make spending an hour pampering the car a bit more fruitful.
    I've just taken the change into a sainsburys in Glasgow and was pretty shocked to see the Coinstar machine charged 9.9% simply to print off a voucher! I really couldn't be bothered taking it to a shop or post office and standing there as they counted every last penny so proceeded anyway, it was money I didn't need but would rather it was in notes in my pocket than making a mess of my car!
    Just think 9.9% sounds awfully steep!!
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bailey626 wrote: »
    It takes a year to earn 3% on your savings.

It takes a minute to lose 9.9% on your loose change. Not very MSE!

People seem to have forgotten how to spend coins. If something costs £6.24 and you can't tender £6.24 exactly, then give £10.24, or £20.24, or £10.30 - anything to reduce the amount of change in your pocket (or your car).
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bailey626 wrote: »
    Coinstar are a commercial business and need to make a profit over and above covering the costs of the service, which, as well as the manufacturing cost of those machines, presumably involve some sort of facility fee for siting within Sainsburys, plus restocking/emptying, security, banking, maintenance, consumables, electricity, insurance, compliance, etc, etc. As you say, there are cheaper, but more time-consuming, options available, so convenience does often come at a price, which you can choose not to pay by going elsewhere, hence this thread being started....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure