Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• ccdorset
    Options
    Honestly can't see the point of paying for Sky if you can't record, if your BB is decent enough try NowTV with a monthly pass. You may wait awhile yet for Sky through the BB.

That's what I'm thinking, I guess the benefit of Sky for me over Now TV would be the Full HD and a wider range of channels (though the main ones I'd like are on Now TV anyway).

However with Sky I would mainly have to use On Demand due to the ability to only record/watch 1 channel. Plus I agree I can't really warrant the extra cost of having Sky over Now TV just to get the Full HD.
  • mikeizz
    Options
    Don't upset your friend but if there's no BB included in that price then I've just ran it through as a new customer and it comes to £55 a month with a one off £20 fee. On paper it looks like it should be £62 a month but it applies some hidden discount for some reason.

In the terms when cancelling though , it states that the address you are at can't have sky for the next 12 months after cancelling.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mikeizz wrote: »
    In the terms when cancelling though , it states that the address you are at can't have sky for the next 12 months after cancelling.

True but the point is your friend is paying a few more pennies than a new customer, it's not a particularly good retention offer unless they have multi-room? In which case you'd have to add another £12 to the £55 I quoted.

Actually I've just ran it through again and if you leave the Sports HD until last it gives the price as £60, adding Sports HD should add a further £2 but for some reason it subtracts £5. Strange but true.
  • Abbey1991
    Options
    Do they still do the £10 a month record-only deal for people who have a dish and box? Thanks
  • ccdorset
    Options
    Abbey1991 wrote: »
    Do they still do the £10 a month record-only deal for people who have a dish and box? Thanks

I believe they do, but they seem to be offering the Entertainment pack for £11 or £13 a month in some cases as a Winback offer, so that could be better value for money for you - rather than paying £10 for just the recording facilities. :)
  • newtosaving1
    Options
    I tried haggling and got offered £17 for renewing the sky basic bundle?

I have been lucky enough to be getting free sky for the last 6 months (no idea how that happened, when I cancelled my sports bundle it took it down to £0!).

They (retention’s team) have said now the lowest they can do is £17, which I think is probably a good deal... but be interested to see if anyone thinks they may drop any lower. Reluctant to cancel completely as my mobile is through them at £6 a month for 2gb data which I know is quite a good deal!
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I have been lucky enough to be getting free sky for the last 6 months (no idea how that happened, when I cancelled my sports bundle it took it down to £0!).

They (retention’s team) have said now the lowest they can do is £17, which I think is probably a good deal... but be interested to see if anyone thinks they may drop any lower. Reluctant to cancel completely as my mobile is through them at £6 a month for 2gb data which I know is quite a good deal!

There are quite a few similar posts to these if you want to look back through the thread.
    DrSteveMcD wrote: »
    So got back on to live chat again last night. Different person and seemed a bit more generous. Got the following...
    Entertainment £11
    Kids £1
    Box sets £1
    HD £1
    Movies £9
    So a total of £23 per month for the same channels I was paying £64.50 for - so a good result.
    Asked about upgrade to Sky Q. Initially told they couldn't do it, then offered it for £125, then for £87.50 but told I had to start a new chat with a different department. Was a but sceptical about this but went ahead. Got the upgrade for £20 as a long term customer + £12pm for the multiscreen / UHD stuff.

Not a bad night's work!
    It was a little harder work this year!

Was on 60% off most basic package.

I was offered £15 “Entertainment” package - didn’t need kids channels so actually wasn’t that bad.

Was going on holiday - so more out of mischievousness - I let them go through with the disconnection.

Today when I returned home - I phoned them to see what they could offer to rejoin.

Offered (& accepted)
    Sky Entertainment- £13
    Sky Box Set - £1
    Could have had HD for £1 too but didn’t bother.
    Had to pay annoying one off £10 “set up” charge - tried to dig in my heels & have it removed - but they weren’t having it. Tried to get a £10 credit to cancel it out - again no joy.
    12 months contract.

Free Anthony Joshua fight - They offered me the Joshua fight for absolutely nothing.
    I said that I wasn’t that bothered but as they’d use the magic word “FREE” - I though Why not?!

Now I am having to download all the programs that my Sky+ would have recorded had my subscription been active.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Some people have got it down to £11 but that's generally through letting a cancellation going through. If you're happy with the price and considering you'll pay an extra £10 on the mobile contract if you leave then I'd be happy myself.
  • mikeizz
    Options
    True but the point is your friend is paying a few more pennies than a new customer, it's not a particularly good retention offer unless they have multi-room? In which case you'd have to add another £12 to the £55 I quoted.

Actually I've just ran it through again and if you leave the Sports HD until last it gives the price as £60, adding Sports HD should add a further £2 but for some reason it subtracts £5. Strange but true.

Sorry yes Multiroom was included in that price.

IN the end he put in his cancellation as that price was only for 12 months , due to the basic tv offer of 70% off was only for 12 months and the other packages would be running for 18 months , so after 12 he would have been paying mid £60 for 6 months also.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mikeizz wrote: »
    Sorry yes Multiroom was included in that price.

IN the end he put in his cancellation as that price was only for 12 months , due to the basic tv offer of 70% off was only for 12 months and the other packages would be running for 18 months , so after 12 he would have been paying mid £60 for 6 months also.

Better value if multi-room was included then but you do have to watch for them 12/18 month deals. They tell you that you're free to phone up at the 12 month mark to renegotiate but of course they've got you over the proverbial barrel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback