Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• youreds
    youreds Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have noticed you can sort of haggle on My Virgin Media.
    Currently £28 for 350Mb, Basic TV and weekend phone (never use it now).
    Runs out mid May.
    Click on offers and it offered a renewal at £34 for 18 months, click not interested and it knocked a quid off, still not interested took off another quid.

I'll go through the normal phone haggle in my last month but think it's time to go Openreach FTTP.
    I'm only with Virgin due to poor old school VDSL speeds which is no longer a factor.
  • PenguinForever
    PenguinForever Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I am currently with Sky, but not happy. I got a quote from virgin - would you guys be able to look at this to see if it’s a good deal or if I could haggle?

line rentalVolt O2 sim 10GB - Extras (3 months), O2 Travel Inclusive Zone and Priority included‡
    Volt M500 Full Fibre BroadbandVolt M500 Full Fibre Broadband
    Mega TVMega TV
    Weekend chatterWeekend chatter
    line rentalVirgin Phone Line

£49.99 altogether. Although, I don’t really need the O2 Sim, so I think I could take £10 off that quote.

there is also a £19.99 one off activation fee. Your feedback would be greatly received! I’m a little lost when it comes to all this 
  • mozstrauss
    mozstrauss Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I’ve just renewed and got what I think is a similar deal to most who have given their 30 day notice.

1gig internet
    Anytime calls
    2 x TV boxes
    Full TV package inc Sports (HD) & TNT 
    Premium Netflix 

£66

cancelled last week, got a follow up call a few days later, price was in line with what I expected so didn’t haggle over it and accepted, I had a similar deal at £45 but didn’t think it’d be possible to get closer to that, in retrospect maybe I should have tried!
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was on M200 + Mixit TV plus drama and documentaries + Phone which we don't use.  Due to go up to £77.

Cancelled yesterday and got phone call today.  M250 + Mega TV + phone for £36 for 18 months.  Very happy to accept.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    Options
    Just got this... M250. mixit TV and weekend chatter for £33 for 18 months.

• youreds
    youreds Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Was on 350Mb, Basic Phone & TV at £28. Did the chat bot which came in at £34. Cancelled.
    Got the retentions call, best he could do was £34 as well.
    Signed up to Sky 500Mb Fibre, £32 with £100 card gets it to about £26 ish.
    Good news is I'll have Openreach Fibre & VM connected, so can easily switch back & forth at haggling time.
  • sharkbait_2
    sharkbait_2 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I have TV, Broadband & Phone with Virgin and pay £47 per month.  This is for M600 Broadband, 2 boxes with full packages including sports & movies.  This is due to end and they are offering me a lower 500 Broadband but the same for everything else for £57.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It doesn't to me as I had such a good deal previously so I think I am biased.  

Also does any other department phone after the loyalty team?
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I have TV, Broadband & Phone with Virgin and pay £47 per month.  This is for M600 Broadband, 2 boxes with full packages including sports & movies.  This is due to end and they are offering me a lower 500 Broadband but the same for everything else for £57.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It doesn't to me as I had such a good deal previously so I think I am biased.  

Also does any other department phone after the loyalty team?
    Even at £57pcm that sounds good to me, just make sure that they've not removed lots of stuff and forgotten to mention it.
  • Maerko
    Maerko Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have the ultimate Volt bundle including Sky, TNT, Viaplay Sports. 1GB broadband etc. I cancelled the contract which is due to end 10th May. Initially the retention team offered it for £86. I phoned back today and they said the offer is now £120! They had told me they would keep the offer of £86 if I phoned back! I'm unsure what to do now!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maerko said:
    I have the ultimate Volt bundle including Sky, TNT, Viaplay Sports. 1GB broadband etc. I cancelled the contract which is due to end 10th May. Initially the retention team offered it for £86. I phoned back today and they said the offer is now £120! They had told me they would keep the offer of £86 if I phoned back! I'm unsure what to do now!

Welcome to the forum!
    It is generally a waste of time calling them. But if you have the number the retentions person called you from (usually a mobile in my experience), you could call that and will probably get the same person. I've never tried that, but that's what the last retentions person who called me told me.
    Failing that, make sure they've got your cancellation notice, which I assume they have and is the only useful reason to call them, and hope retentions call you again.
    Hopefully, you've got an alternative service in mind should they not call you...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback