Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options
1346347348349350352»

Comments

• abbas5001
    abbas5001 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

could I get some advice please. My virgin cost has been gradually creeping up the last few years. I currently get the Volt benefits as my phone is with o2. I get M350 broadband though paying for M250, Maxit Tv with Bt sports and talk more anytime. I used to pay £57 a month but it’s went up to £77 since an in contract price increase last year. 

I checked my current package for new customers and it has changed slightly in that Maxit Tv is now ‘Bigger’ TV and BT sports is not included but if you add it in it’s £68 a month for new customers. 
    I phoned up to cancel as I was being quoted £117 a month and wanted the same price as new customers. I was stunned to find the best they could do was £75 a month despite me telling them the price on the website for new customers. I proceeded to ask them
    to cancel in the hope I would get the call offering 6 months half price etc. The girl said if I would be looking to move my phone line and number to the new provider and I said yes, she said she would close the account but would do it a different way to allow me to provide the new provider details. I never got the call from their retentions team and the account not is still up and running a few weeks later! 

Can anyone give me advice to get the price down? Also am I able to sign up as a new customer again but use someone else’s name in the house to get a better price/cash back but keep the phone number the same?

Thanks
  • whattochoose
    whattochoose Posts: 697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a couple of outbound retentions numbers that might be worth ringing....

0203 743 6947
    0203 743 6951

Good luck.
  • ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May at 8:17PM
    Options
    abbas5001 said:
    The girl said if I would be looking to move my phone line and number to the new provider and I said yes, she said she would close the account but would do it a different way to allow me to provide the new provider details. I never got the call from their retentions team and the account not is still up and running a few weeks later! 

Oh lordy, lord. You are in for a world of pain I fear. VM have a different team that handle migrations (keep phone number), they do not communicate with retentions. It was cancelled, then not, as migrations don't show as cancelled, then it was, but they couldn't offer as the number was with migrations, who said it wasn't cancelled... I took it to a formal complaint and weeks to sort out...

I went though this last year, and I hope it goes smoother for you than the countless hours of wasted life to sort it out. Lets just say next time, I will be saying no thanks, don't care about the number. :D

The upshot was I got Ultimate Volt for £60 and a £100 credit with O2 when I went to cancel my VM related O2 contract...
  • barafear799
    barafear799 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    abbas5001 said:
    Hi folks,

could I get some advice please. My virgin cost has been gradually creeping up the last few years. I currently get the Volt benefits as my phone is with o2. I get M350 broadband though paying for M250, Maxit Tv with Bt sports and talk more anytime. I used to pay £57 a month but it’s went up to £77 since an in contract price increase last year. 

I checked my current package for new customers and it has changed slightly in that Maxit Tv is now ‘Bigger’ TV and BT sports is not included but if you add it in it’s £68 a month for new customers. 
    I phoned up to cancel as I was being quoted £117 a month and wanted the same price as new customers. I was stunned to find the best they could do was £75 a month despite me telling them the price on the website for new customers. I proceeded to ask them
    to cancel in the hope I would get the call offering 6 months half price etc. The girl said if I would be looking to move my phone line and number to the new provider and I said yes, she said she would close the account but would do it a different way to allow me to provide the new provider details. I never got the call from their retentions team and the account not is still up and running a few weeks later! 

Can anyone give me advice to get the price down? Also am I able to sign up as a new customer again but use someone else’s name in the house to get a better price/cash back but keep the phone number the same?

Thanks
    I am in a relatively similar position. My contract is up for renewal in about 6 weeks - currently get Mega Volt - 1 Gig MB (boosted with my o2 sim) - Sports and Cinema - all the usual other channels - currently have TNT Sports included - and Telephone anytime natter - 2nd box if reqd - but not used. Was paying £62 (plus the o2 sim cost - which was £5 for a while) - went up to £67 + £6 in the recent April increase - aware that TNT had come out - but also heard people are getting it added in for much less than the £18 standard price - so was hoping to get an offer of £75 as per above poster - but my first tentative request (via live chat) came in at £114. so lots of room for manoeuvre - hopefully when I get to my 30 days I will be in a stronger position - any ballpark for what would be a reasonable deal (£70 to VM - and whatever o2 sim deal I can get elsewhere)? 
  • arthurdick
    arthurdick Posts: 3,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My contract with Virgin ends today and for the last week I have been trying to get a better deal as my bill was going up to £55 pm from £37 and £40 pm the most recent.  I got back in touch with them today on my Virgin account and went through online chat with them, I had already had Sky and BT pages open, so I copied and pasted those deals to the Virgin rep while in chat and told them there are much better deals out there than what you are offering me,  anyway, I managed to get it in the end for £25pm on a new 18 month contract. Okay, I am only on 125 volt or something like that but I am happy with a saving of £30pm.

Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait! Duvet know it's Christmas, not original, it's a cover.
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 800 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 May at 2:00AM
    Options
    Existing:
    125MB broadband 
    Talk anytime 
    Mix TV

Was paying £44 and when the contract expired recently it was £66

rang the 150 number spoke to I think retentions they didn't give a good deal they passed me to disconnections again no good deal, told them to disconnect me, this does not mean you are disconnected immediately but you have given Virgin Media the 30-day disconnection notice, only after the 30 days will the services stop

Next day receive a call from loyalty team for £43 for:

250mb broadband
    mega TV
    anytime phone

told them will think about it

3 days later (after a few missed calls inbetween) receive another call from the loyalty team again £43 for the above package told them still to high.

Went off to speak to his manager and offered the following:

250mb broadband
    mega TV + TNT sports 
    anytime phone

All for £37

I took it on 18m contract. 

If your still reading well done! but the moral of the story is you must go to disconnections and actually disconnect (remember you still have 30 days before disconnecting) VM loyalty will bombard you with phone calls over the next few days, don't accept the first offer unless your happy with it

maybe could have shaved a few more pounds off but I'm happy with it and all done in a civilised manner. 
  • Kathy_1965
    Kathy_1965 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My present contract with Virgin expires at the end of July. 
    However, Virgin are wasting no time in inundating me with offers, inviting me to renew my contract. The latest one would see an increase in my monthly charge, on top of the recent one in April, and lacking TNT sports, that I have at present.
    I'll be declining their offer and putting in my contract cancellation at the appropriate time.
    Another thing I'm not happy about is that they want me to switch from a V6 box, which I'm perfectly happy with, to one of their 360 boxes. I understand this result in losing all my recorded content, and having to operate the new box via remote control.
    Can members give me their thoughts on the new box, if they have one?
    Thank you.

It would be the same if changed the v6 to a new one as it’s a hard drive and not in the cloud. 

Wait until just before 30 days and see price drop . In my case from £75 to £48 but look at other options in meantime. 

I’m having a battle with them at mo. I renewed via email link. Heard nothing in 2 weeks so chased. Was told that wasn’t a valid via the link had to be via agent. 

Told them I had a pre contract agreement dated 4 may . If they weren’t gonna honour it to back date my cancellation to 4 may and I will make complaint to ofcom 

After hour and that comment what a  surprise they now seem to be honouring it ! 

it should not be this difficult ! 

The offer was same price without TNT ( which didn’t use ) £48 per month.  Limited in my area for full fibre as many are like 30mb and work from home. So not many options available 
  • mrspixie_2
    mrspixie_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May at 2:28PM
    Options
    my package is due to end next month. Thought I would try a watsapp chat to see what they would offer.
    Current package ends June, plus discounts for sports until April 2025, Pay 76.85
    v6 box and 2nd box
    maxit tv with TNT
    sky sports hd pack
    sky sports collection
    volt 250 broadband
    weekend chatter
    o2 volt 10mb which is extra paid through o2

Offered 
    m500
    mega tv +sky sports and cinema 
    sky sport hd
    virgin tv kids
    anytime chatter
    2 boxes and my current o2 sim
    £74 (no tnt)

£92 with tnt

what do you think?

• youreds
    youreds Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    my package is due to end next month. Thought I would try a watsapp chat to see what they would offer.
    Current package ends June, plus discounts for sports until April 2025, Pay 76.85
    v6 box and 2nd box
    maxit tv with TNT
    sky sports hd pack
    sky sports collection
    volt 250 broadband
    weekend chatter

Offered 
    m500
    sky sport hd
    virgin tv kids
    anytime chatter
    £74 (no tnt)

£92 with tnt

what do you think?

You have to take a step back and decide if you need all that stuff.
    The stand out one is the landline phone with anytime calls. Do you actually use it? All mobile deals now have unlimited calls.
    Do you need all those TV channels and movies?
  • mrspixie_2
    mrspixie_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    youreds said:
    v6 box and 2nd box
    maxit tv with TNT
    sky sports hd pack
    sky sports collection
    volt 250 broadband
    weekend chatter

Offered 
    m500
    sky sport hd
    virgin tv kids
    anytime chatter
    £74 (no tnt)

£92 with tnt

what do you think?

You have to take a step back and decide if you need all that stuff.
    The stand out one is the landline phone with anytime calls. Do you actually use it? All mobile deals now have unlimited calls.
    Do you need all those TV channels and movies?
    True, I would be happy with maxit, tnt, broadband, do not need movies and sky sports. But the offer for 264 bb maxit no tnt was £72 😞
    Will wait awhile and try again.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure