Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Options

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have just looked on Octopus and its quoting me as £115.65 per month, thats £1387.80 a year. Outfoxthemarket quoting as £1292 on an 18 month fixed!!

Is octopus really cheaper for high users out there????

Depends where you live. My cheapest supplier is one direct so switch taking place in a couple of days even though my 12 month fix finishes mid March.
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For info there is a freephone number, exactly the same line as the standard number for Iresa. Call 0800 4337812 instead

Always check on the website saynoto0870.com when making calls to cust. service!!

THANK YOU!!!! :T

I always check saynoto0870 for any 0844\0871 alternative numbers, never thought to check for 0800s!
  • MM2002
    MM2002 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    Depends where you live. My cheapest supplier is one direct so switch taking place in a couple of days even though my 12 month fix finishes mid March.

But as ALL energy prices have increased, surely your new supply is dearer than your 11 month old fixed? lost a month of cheaper prices? Am I wrong?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My Iresa Flex4 12 month fixed Dual Fuel is due to end on 14th March. I am looking to move, more than likely to Octopus Energy. When should I start the process to get the billing correct for the best deal?
    I am in credit on both, £135 on Elec and £31 on Gas.

Octopus is signed up to 17 day energy transfers. Provided a supplier is notified via industry procedures that a switch is in progress by end of contract plus 20 days, you will remain on your present tariff with your old supplier until the transfer goes through. The risk sitting on your hands to maximise the benefit of this provision is that you miss out on a deal. Tariffs can change by the week. In truth, any cost difference will be but a few £s.
  • nickcc
    Options
    But as ALL energy prices have increased, surely your new supply is dearer than your 11 month old fixed? lost a month of cheaper prices? Am I wrong?

No mine comes out using the MSE comparison site £28 per year cheaper than my previous fix with Iresa, the cost is now £108 per year cheaper than Iresa's new price if I stayed with them.
  • System
    Options
    No mine comes out using the MSE comparison site £28 per year cheaper than my previous fix with Iresa, the cost is now £108 per year cheaper than Iresa's new price if I stayed with them.

Ignore savings and compare annual cost vs annual cost.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's for you to decide. The usual advice is to keep a DD open until you recieve a refund or make the final payment
    This may be sound advice if you are changing supplier however if you are moving house I suggest that you do cancel the DD the month before you leave so that you owe them money & won't have the hassle of trying to get a refund out of Iresa. I did this last August & still haven't received a final bill.
  • nickcc
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Ignore savings and compare annual cost vs annual cost.

Are you suggesting that the MSE comparison site is in some way biased and that their suggested suppliers are not what they seem.
  • System
    edited 15 February 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Are you suggesting that the MSE comparison site is in some way biased and that their suggested suppliers are not what they seem.

No I am not. What I am saying is that suppliers and PCWs have historically used Ofgem!!!8217;s inflated cost methodology to calculate savings. Consumers switching from one fixed tariff to another can find themselves with a tariff that costs them more but one which is also showing a saving. MSE CEC also shows a simple cost on present tariff compared to cost on new tariff; however, ......

For tariffs where the PCW offers cashback, this is now shown as part of the saving. This cashback is not shown on a supplier!!!8217;s site.

For example: Saving on what you would!!!8217;ve paid £45/yr
    made up of £20/yr + £25 cashback

The same tariff on the supplier!!!8217;s site would be £25 more expensive but the standing charge and unit prices would be the same.
  • nickcc
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    No I am not. What I am saying is that suppliers and PCWs have historically used Ofgem!!!8217;s inflated cost methodology to calculate savings. Consumers switching from one fixed tariff to another can find themselves with a tariff that costs them more but one which is also showing a saving. MSE CEC also shows a simple cost on present tariff compared to cost on new tariff; however, ......

For tariffs where the PCW offers cashback, this is now shown as part of the saving. This cashback is not shown on a supplier!!!8217;s site.

For example: Saving on what you would!!!8217;ve paid £45/yr
    made up of £20/yr + £25 cashback

The same tariff on the supplier!!!8217;s site would be £25 more expensive but the standing charge and unit prices would be the same.

Most of us are simple soles and just rely on simple comparison sites. If it shows a supplier as being cheaper than our present supplier then that's who we go for. You obviously have far more insight than i do so I'll just have to trust the comparison site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure