Economy Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am back on the telephone to EE. I received a letter by email on 7th June informing my i would receive a refund on 11th June. I contacted this company, at 12 noon on 11th june, as I had not received the refund. I also had not received a gas bill, despite being told i would receive this six weeks after leaving. I was eventually emailed the gas bill, and told to wait until 5pm for the refund.

Glad I received the email, but there was things on the bill i did not understand, so i emailed the customer service officer back asking questions.

art 7.o0pm on 11th june, still no refund, so called back, waited half an hour for the company to respond. told the refund had been actioned. and I should wait an additional few days, told customer service the letter i received said payment would be made to me on 11th june.

Advised customer service i wanted to raise as a complaint. told i should hear from their complaints team in the next few days. its now 16th june,and no contact from this company, so i am back on the phone to them now. i also never received a response to my questions by email.

if you are thinking of joining this company, please think again, there customer service is not good. I have been waiting on the phone for 22 minutes so far, and still waiting :( so glad i am with another company.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    campion54 wrote: »
    I would use resolver.co.uk. Promoted by MSE its helped me on multiple occasions with companies ignoring my calls. You can escalate to the relevant Ombudsman after a period of time. All tracked and traced in a case file in the system. Very useful for the Ombudsman as it keeps a trace of all contact.

Thank you for this, I have used resolver instead, and feel better the company now has my concerns.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • jainefra
    Options
    Boy do I regret not doing my homework before switching to EE through MSE switch. (I wish MSE had given information on their customer service as well as their prices!! SSE Energy were charging me far too much and on a whim after seeing the price comparisons, decided to switch. All I've received so far from EE is a welcome pack email (making empty promises) and a DD mandate by email, they then took over £160 out of my bank at the start of this month. This was twice as much as SSE so I obviously TRIED to contact them. So far I have tried every day, at all different times of the day, but as yet I have not managed to speak to anyone, still trying 3 weeks on. I have cancelled my direct debit with them and received a prompt email asking me to contact them...... THE CHEEK!! Believe me, I have tried! I have now made an official complaint to them BUT as yet, I have heard nothing!!! They will not get another penny out of me! A very angry, unhappy NEW customer of Economy Energy. BEWARE: please do not switch to this company & also do your homework before switching via MSE or another site helping you to switch. :(
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I do believe that they take out double payment on your first payment. This would be enough for me to not use them.

They look to be horrendous and pity any person who is with them.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My suspicion regarding Economy Energy is that they have focused their target client base mix upon a high proportion of prepay customers. Their credit prices are very cheap. The two months initial charge is clear from the outset from their notifications and their terms and conditions. The business model presumably requires a higher upfront charge to manage their cash flow.

I have just moved to Economy Energy as promoted by MSE. The reports on the Internet indeed do not look good. I will keep my eye on this, but the saving of £450 a year made this too tempting. The gas, in particular, is very cheap at 2.1p per kilowatt hour.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • sylviaszeliga
    sylviaszeliga Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2018 at 10:51AM
    Options
    The only time that EE have rung me in a 2 year period of numerous troubles, as detailed in my post above -is when they needed final payment as I had cancelled monthly direct debit (they would just suddenly announce they were going to take 4 times the usual amount from my bank -and ignored all emails telling them NOT to do this). The 'special adviser' dealing with this matter asked me why I was transferring to a more expensive supplier when it is a matter of record that I had to take them to the Energy Ombudsmen (who upheld all aspects of my complaint) in order to get them to correct their accounts, and, they were fined £75 . Beware unit charges at odds to what has been agreed, beware inflated meter readings even when you give them monthly readings, beware basic arithmetical errors in calculating charges, beware false 'failed payments' where they reduced credits to the account (despite sending statements from bank proving detailed monthly payments to them) - . they even got the last account of a few hundred units of electricity being used wrong -with an incorrect inflated final reading and excessive amount of days X standing charge.. .I find it incredulous that a modern company can have so many problems and not bother to deal with them
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Thank you, sylviaszel, for taking the time to post.

So it seems that I will have to extra careful to communicate my periodic meter readings to EE, I will need to calculate the exact amounts that are contractually due to them, and I will need to cancel my direct debit mandates if they should they take an amount that is substantially in excess of the amounts which would be due to them.

I will proceed with caution. Again, thank you for the warning.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • bill_leslie7
    Options
    I have just switched to Economy Energy and everything went to plan. Only surprise I had was they take double payment up front and then charge each month thereafter. I was expecting the paying a month in advance but not the double payment.
    They did advise they would take a double payment in letters sent out one for gas and one for electricity which they sent 1 day apart which to be honest I thought they were the same letter at the time.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I have just switched to Economy Energy and everything went to plan. Only surprise I had was they take double payment up front and then charge each month thereafter. I was expecting the paying a month in advance but not the double payment.
    They did advise they would take a double payment in letters sent out one for gas and one for electricity which they sent 1 day apart which to be honest I thought they were the same letter at the time.

So far all looks good. They did not request meter readings five days prior to supply as they said they would, but I registered online and sent them the meter readings on day one. They do send an email to acknowledge that meter readings have been received, so there is a good audit trail of communications.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sterlingtimes beware. I did the same, entered my initial reading online.
    Despite an acknowledgement of the reading the system overwrote (ignored) my submitted reading. Instead an estimate was substituted and the online record showed no evidence of the submitted start reading. You might like to phone them just to check they will be using your submitted reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure