Economy Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• As per Avqs43 and Wrinx. Exactly the same scenario, too high-a Direct Debit, they agreed to lower it and now they didn't, also got the same email tonight (6-9-18) Gas up 50% !!! Are they Eco Energy nuts? Am reporting them to Ofgem for renaging on agreed Direct Debit being lowered, and tonight I invoked Direct Debit Indemnity, so the money will
    be back in my account by Saturday hopefully.
  • loiner
    loiner Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got a similar email regarding wholesale price increases. My Gas bill is going up by a whopping 63% and Electricity by 21%. I'll be looking to change supplier, but might struggle a little as my MSE account still shows as 'Switch in Progress', like others, even though my switch completed months ago.
  • Markie_Sparkie
    Options
    Switched to this company in May after previous company put prices up. Money Saving Expert suggested they were the cheapest, well they were, for er... 2months ....now they are putting their Gas price up a few % ... well no.. 10%...no! 20% no!! It's going up by 50%!!!!!

They increased my Direct Debits by 45% at the same time my old company were giving me a rebate, (MY money back, not just pretending to handout cash)

Eco' Energy are nuts! I think this is a just some Ponzi scheme to get lots of people feeding them cash based on being the cheapest supplier for a brief period and then they increase prices once they have a huge customer base hoping nobody will switch. Well, so long suckers, I'm on the move again. British Gas look more appealing now than Economy Energy ...where Ofgem spend so much time looking at Economy Energy half the office staff seating is allocated to Ofgem!!
  • avqs43
    avqs43 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hanging back to claim my £25 from Martin, as my account still shows I am in the "switch"! Seriously, I'm not sure whether Economy Energy will be more expensive than the cheapest once they have all increased their prices. I am afraid that choosing any energy company is a joke. This is the first time in years that I have switched and not chosen a "fixed" rate. Suffice to say, I am very disappointed.
  • Stop_Watch
    Options
    I have switched to Ebico and went direct, I made a mistake the other clowns wanted £576 extra a year! I have cancelled my DD so they cant take any more as I am in credit with them!
  • Tara_Phoenix
    Options
    AVOID ECONOMY LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!! ��

A VERY long story short: .....

I have a Pre payment meter.

Joined them in January.
    Asked for a new Card and a Smart Meter.

Over the next few months constantly asked them for new card and smart meter. Was told they'd call me back. They never did. Was given installation dates. They never came.

I April I made a formal complaint to them. Waited til June for a reply.
    Their response to my whole complaint was an Email saying ..... wait for it ......
    "RESOLVED"

It said nothing else whatsoever.

I then realised they were taking over £6.00 from EVERY Top up I put on, for a debt that I DONT HAVE !!!! I have no debt with them or any other supplier.

They sent an engineer out immediately to 'reset' the meter.
    It didn't work.

I AM STILL TO THIS DATE BEING RIPPED OFF BY THIS THIEVING COMPANY WHO ARE TAKING A THIRD OF MY TOP UP FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

I've made more complaints. Nothing happens. They have ignored me.

3 weeks ago they FINALLY sent me a gas card (I asked in January).
    1 week later that card stopped working and still has my top up money on it.
    They sent out an engineer again to put on a small amount of emergency credit until a new card arrived, which should have arrived 3rd September.

Again it never arrived.

I HAVE NO GAS AT ALL.

I'm disabled and on the priority services register and yet they are fine leaving me with no gas and still stealing from me.

I've made a complaint to the ombudsman a month ago, but it seems to take forever and despite emailing them about the recent problems and having no gas at all, they seem to be deaf too !!!

I guess I'm living in Victorian times now then !!!
  • Micky-c
    Micky-c Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2018 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Switched to this company 4 months ago. Was shocked that they took a double monthly direct debit payment immediately, followed by a single month's payment two weeks later. This was at the start of Summer. So they helped themselves to THREE MONTHS worth of payments when I had used virtually zero energy!

These payments amounted to just under £600 and took me into my overdraft. I was not expecting them, they were only communicated in the very smallest of small print.

4 months later, they increased my tariff by around 75%!

I have switched again, but I am around £700 in credit. EE have told me that my refund will be issued in "2 - 8 weeks". I have a very nasty feeling I'm going to have to fight to get this back.

Ofgem should not licence companies like this. They are clearly on the make.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I have been very impressed with OFGEM's support. Technically, OFGEM does not talk to the consumer but perhaps they have an insight as to what is going on.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • hartjonp
    Options
    I switched to Economy Energy for electricity & gas in March 2017 as they were offering a competitive tariff. The switch was satisfactory.
    In October 2017 they fitted smart meters for the electricity and gas. These were installed on a pay as you go basis so I topped up the credit on them online. I then discovered that Economy Energy were still collecting direct debits so I was paying for energy twice. I therefore contacted them and had the gas and electricity switched back to direct debit payment.
    I decided to change suppliers which took effect on 01/03/2018. My requests for final bills resulted in the response that it could take up to 6 weeks followed by a second response that it could take 6-8 weeks for them to be processed.
    I then emailed a complaint regarding the final bills and also left a Trustpilot review. Economy Energy’s Social Media Executive responded to the Trustpilot review and we exchanged emails regarding my complaint. I then prepared my own calculations which showed that Economy Energy owed me a credit balance of £554. On 17/05/2018 I sent Economy Energy a final demand letter requesting payment of £604 including £50 compensation. The same day I was phoned by their Complaints Handler and we exchanged emails.
    As I hadn’t received payment I commenced Court action on 05/06/2018 for £664 which included the Court Fee. I then had a series of phone conversations and emails with Economy Energy’s Complaints Team Manager which resulted on them making an agreed payment to me of £659 on 19/06/2018. They also confirmed that my balance with them was £0.00.
    My recommendation to any Economy Energy customers is check your bills and if you have a final credit balance with them take Court Action to obtain payment.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow, i am impressed with the last poster.

The ombudsman has awarded me £50.00 a good will gesture which I have accepted. I would never return to this company again, no matter how cheap their costings are. This company is a complete joke. I used resolver to address my complaint, which i found easy, especially as there are templates on the page, and all correspondence are in one place. I am now awaiting this dreadful company to accept the gesture, which they have up to 14 days to do. I would avoid taking your custom to this company.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport