PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• This_calls_for_cake
    Options
    So our listing went live again on Friday late afternoon, checked it to find the garden pictures haven't been updated :mad: apparently they were overexposed, they only discovered this on Friday afternoon despite coming out on Tuesday morning to take the pictures. They came back yesterday afternoon to redo them but the listing won't be updated till late on tomorrow, of course this means people who are checking everyday will have seen the listing with the old garden pictures and won't realise that new ones have been added unless they have already saved it. Not impressed :mad:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,793 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oh that's most annoying This Calls for Cake :( They need to get their acts together! Hope you find someone soon.

PTHome we did all the wrong things too, despite being advised otherwise :o :rotfl:

Looked at houses for about 2 years while we did ours up, finally found one, offered low and was rejected, so offered the asking price and offer was 'accepted' - although they never took it off the market as our house wasn't even up for sale.

We had it up for sale within a few days and had several offers on ours well over asking price within a week of making our offer on the other one. It could have been ours at that point as nobody else had bid on it.

However, by this point we'd spent a lot more time in the area and started to wibble about it (not about house, which was lovely). So, against all advice, we accepted an offer from someone in the same position as we'd been - own house not even on the market - and agreed to take ours off for a fortnight while she sold hers. Pretty sure estate agents thought we were mad :rotfl: but it gave us a bit of time to think...

She did the same as us and from putting OURS on the market to selling hers was less than 3 weeks :applause:

By which point we'd decided we definitely didn't want the house we'd originally offered on and so now have buyers but no house to move to, which I suppose is better than before. Got this week off work to go on a viewing mission.

HazyJo's advice is good - I did the opposite because it suited our circumstances. We're looking for an usual rural house and have quite specific requirements, the ones we're looking at don't tend to come up that often, and usually sell quite slowly.

Our own house is in an area where things sell very quickly for various reasons, and there's often a bidding war. We accepted an offer £15k over the asking price in the end, and after accepting it someone else offered even higher. We didn't have a single offer under asking price, and they wouldn't have stood a chance.

Anyway, not suggesting the way we did it was sensible - it was a risk which in our case would have paid off had we gone with our original house. Just thought I'd give a different experience.
  • This_calls_for_cake
    Options
    So we got a call from the ea around 11am, someone wanted to view the house, they could do today or Saturday, we said Saturday am as we are all out Saturday and today is the first day of Hubby's annual leave so though we didn't have firm plans for the day we hadn't intended to blitz the house, they got back to us saying Saturday morning was not convenient so we somewhat reluctantly agreed to 7pm today. Spent the day flogging ourselves to get the place spic and span and guess what?! They didn't turn up :mad::(
    Getting so disheartened with it all, we've loved living here the last 12 years but now we've decided to move I feel like we're living in limbo waiting for it to happen and I really want somewhere to put all my sewing stuff!
    At least the new pictures have gone up now rightmove. co.uk/s6p/61182913
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So we got a call from the ea around 11am, someone wanted to view the house, they could do today or Saturday, we said Saturday am as we are all out Saturday and today is the first day of Hubby's annual leave so though we didn't have firm plans for the day we hadn't intended to blitz the house, they got back to us saying Saturday morning was not convenient so we somewhat reluctantly agreed to 7pm today. Spent the day flogging ourselves to get the place spic and span and guess what?! They didn't turn up :mad::(
    Getting so disheartened with it all, we've loved living here the last 12 years but now we've decided to move I feel like we're living in limbo waiting for it to happen and I really want somewhere to put all my sewing stuff!

Clickable link...
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61182913.html

Good luck!
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

This happens so often :( it's so disheartening !

I'm also a sewist/seamstress - I make childrenswear for a living and my home studio ha been condensed into my nans spare bedroom 😩
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had a viewer last weds who came back for a 2nd viewing yesterday, brought his dad. I think they liked it but no news yet.

We had another viewing booked at 2 yesterday but the lady cancelled and didn't rearrange :/
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Question for you guys that are also waiting for buyers...do you think decor makes a difference to getting viewings? My house has been rented out for the past 3.5 years and the previous tenants did some decorating that's not to everyone's taste (silvery/grey wallpaper in the living room, grey paint on the living room walls, etc).

I have asked the EA whether I should redecorate but they've not commited to an answer, but I can't help thinking it's putting people off.

I personally look at houses with nice white/cream walls, and sky blue furnishings and think 'that looks new/clean/modern', but when I look at the photos of my house, it just looks dingy - and if I think that, I'm sure buyers will too.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »
    ...the previous tenants did some decorating that's not to everyone's taste (silvery/grey wallpaper in the living room, grey paint on the living room walls, etc).
    Sounds more modern. Lots of grey around still at the mo. Post a pic (if you can) and I'll let you know if I think it's nice or dreary :)

Saying that, I'd be inclined to leave it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    HI everyone, we are in the position of found our dream house, but no offers on ours.

So it's a waiting game, and hope no one else offers on the house we want.

We have had 3 viewings, 1 second but no offers.

On the market for 3 weeks now.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »
    Question for you guys that are also waiting for buyers...do you think decor makes a difference to getting viewings? My house has been rented out for the past 3.5 years and the previous tenants did some decorating that's not to everyone's taste (silvery/grey wallpaper in the living room, grey paint on the living room walls, etc).

I have asked the EA whether I should redecorate but they've not commited to an answer, but I can't help thinking it's putting people off.

I personally look at houses with nice white/cream walls, and sky blue furnishings and think 'that looks new/clean/modern', but when I look at the photos of my house, it just looks dingy - and if I think that, I'm sure buyers will too.

Personally I hate grey but I am able to see past decor - unfortunately most cannot.
    When we put our house on the market last year, the chimney breast in our living room was red. It was an old cottage and I loved it. Feedback we kept getting back was that they loved the house but the lounge was too small. We painted the red wall cream, got the EA to take new photos and a week later we accepted an offer.

I'm afraid a lot of buyers cannot see beyond decor.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback