large booking at restaurant- how to split the bill?

Options
some peeps will no doubt eat/drink more than others, and i dont feel its right that the kids should have to pay, or that others (w/out kids) pay more to make it up, if you follow?

Should bill be split roughly evenly, with big eaters 'encouraged' to pay a bit more (the rest a little less..)

and how much should parents pay for their kids? Doubt the young uns will be anywhere near the wine!:rotfl:
breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Each couple pay for their own food (including their own children).
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Divide the bill by the number of people, with children (below teenage) counting for a half share.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the situation? Has somebody invited all these people? If so the inviter pays.

If its a get together, arranged jointly, then let everybody pay for their own so they can budget according to their own financial circumstances. If there are children, then their parents will surely pay for what they eat, won't they?
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Each couple pay for their own food (including their own children).

yes, thats generally speaking what we tend to do in family groups or groups of friends with kids.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My pet hate is when some bright spark decides to split the bill evenly - invariably this will be suggested by someone who has had starter, main AND dessert plus plenty of drink!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    My pet hate is when some bright spark decides to split the bill evenly - invariably this will be suggested by someone who has had starter, main AND dessert plus plenty of drink!

What do you expect people to eat when they go out for dinner?
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options

I usually only have a main ... so would certainly expect those who order more than one course to foot the bill for it themselves.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    boliston wrote: »

Same here. Personally I don't have a dessert nor do I drink that much.

The only fair way IMO is for everyone to pay for their own meals and drink.

Some of my friends only have a main meal when we go out, so why should they pay extra to compensate for those having every thing.

You usually do find that those who've had the full lot plus numerous bottles of wine want to split the bill! :p
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Whatever they fancy off the menu that suits their budget of course, but somebody who has three courses plus wine shouldn't expect to pay the same as somebody who has one course and a soft drink!
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Like others have said, I tend to just have a main and usually a single pint of beer. I find if I have a starter I tend to end up leaving some of my main so seems a waste and have never had a particularly sweet tooth. Drinking more than a pint with a meal leaves me a bit bloated and would be stupid if you needed to drive afterwards (eg a country pub)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure