large booking at restaurant- how to split the bill?

Options

Comments

• happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 April 2016 at 6:33AM
    Options
    I'll also find restaurants are able to give each family a bill, works better IMO as both my OH and DS like steak and wouldn't order it if it was a straight bill split as would feel uncomfortable. I think this also stops anyone who has had less etc feeling short changed.

I went out last week with my mam,sister and little niece we split the bill 3 ways as nobody expected my sister to pay more. I have a grown up son and we did this when he was younger.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We just split the bill by number of families. We don't care who had steak, who had wine, life is too short and over our lifetime I expect things have evened out. I may not have a starter one time, or no drink, but on other times I may have had three double gins so it's swings and roundabouts.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    We just split the bill by number of families. We don't care who had steak, who had wine, life is too short and over our lifetime I expect things have evened out. I may not have a starter one time, or no drink, but on other times I may have had three double gins so it's swings and roundabouts.

That's absolutely fine, when the group consists of families all of whom are on the same financial step. However, this is not always the case.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    My pet hate is when some bright spark decides to split the bill evenly - invariably this will be suggested by someone who has had starter, main AND dessert plus plenty of drink!

I'm with you on that one! Especially when they're the one who invited you to dinner in the first place!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I may not have a starter one time, or no drink, but on other times I may have had three double gins so it's swings and roundabouts.
    And indeed, that's what I do when I meet up with one or two friends. It doesn't work so well in bigger groups when OH and I are always the much lower paying party and a particular couple are always the highest.

After we got stung a couple of times, OH decided that he would order starters and desert and enjoy his drinks, but the reality is that it's not what he wants so why should he make himself eat more than he is comfortable with just to make the bill more even. After one particular time when the difference end up being almost £20 a head, he just put on the table what our meal cost and we left before the bill came. After that he talked to a few of them and explained that he had enough of always subsidising for the others, and since then, they accept -if not agree- that we only pay for our food. Another of the party who also doesn't drink and eat much has joined in. I think the rest split the bill but that seems fine as they do tend to eat/drink about the same. It is so much more enjoyable going out with them now without that needless stress and resentment.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't see why it's difficult. The bill comes, you pay your family's share and put a couple of quid in for the tip. Easy.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see why it's difficult. The bill comes, you pay your family's share and put a couple of quid in for the tip. Easy.
    You'd think so, but it's amazing how people throw the accusation of being tight into it when you suggest it, if not directly to your face, in other ways.

Saying that, it goes both ways. If we go out with OH's parents or mine (they are both as bad as each other), we always end up with the battle of who pays. If we go with the kids, we don't think it is right they should pay for everyone or even split, we either want to pay our share or invite them, but each time it is the same issue, they want to pay for everyone. It is so awkward when you have a lovely meal and you really don't want to argue. It got to the point when the second deserts are ordered, one person is already up to go and pay the bill before the other has the chance to get there first. OH and his dad once had a battle of cards in front of the guy who just didn't know which one to take and that went on for about 5 mns!

I know they do it because they want to, but each time it ends with 'ok, next time we pay', it's all forgotten next time and the battle starts again! It's actually more stressful then going out for a meal with people who want to split the bill when you are the one losing out!
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Of course the oppodite is also true if you want a drink and someone else us drinking tap water (not knocking it we do it sometimes) it can spoil it for those people too.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    And indeed, that's what I do when I meet up with one or two friends. It doesn't work so well in bigger groups when OH and I are always the much lower paying party and a particular couple are always the highest.

After we got stung a couple of times, OH decided that he would order starters and desert and enjoy his drinks, but the reality is that it's not what he wants so why should he make himself eat more than he is comfortable with just to make the bill more even. After one particular time when the difference end up being almost £20 a head, he just put on the table what our meal cost and we left before the bill came. After that he talked to a few of them and explained that he had enough of always subsidising for the others, and since then, they accept -if not agree- that we only pay for our food. Another of the party who also doesn't drink and eat much has joined in. I think the rest split the bill but that seems fine as they do tend to eat/drink about the same. It is so much more enjoyable going out with them now without that needless stress and resentment.
    I do appreciate where you are coming from but I think it would have been much better having the conversation with your friends before going for that meal.
    It just sounds rude to me to put money on the table and leave before the bill arrives with what - according to your post - seems like no explanation at all.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just don't do what my cousin did after a lovely extended family meal. He threw a hissy fit because he thought someone hadn't put in enough - and ended up paying the missing amount himself - after totally ruining the atmosphere by shouting at everyone. When he got home and looked at the bill more closely he realized that because we were a group the place had already added the gratuity so effectively the extra he had paid them was an extra (or double ) tip ........... I still can't believe he went back and asked for the tip back the next day !!!!
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family