Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

Options

Comments

• Shakethedisease
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    So you've had a go at the source (as usual)

What's your thoughts on why the years were missed off the table?
    Same as some of the comments below Kev's blog post.
    It could be summarised by one word: "Austerity". The layout is clearly to show the effect continuing Conservative austerity has on the declining funding for Scotland.
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    I think replies this just serve to make the point that the SNP are a cult. With no fiscal (or any other) maturity if your best reply is to heck with the budget it is now time to ignore the media and anyone else that doesn't see it our way.

The SNPs moment of power will be but a blip in time, make the most of it.

Oh yes, that's right. Insult the intelligence of a wide swathe of Scottish voters, that'll make the SNP blip go away. Ten years they've been in power now, and ten years of predictions of blips.

Why not try a less well travelled approach ?

ps God forbid John Swinney would take issue with a story on the BBC reporting a fall in teacher numbers, when they actually increased. How dare he. No wonder Scots are turning off in droves.
    The Scottish public’s opinion of the BBC’s TV news coverage has barely improved since the country’s independence referendum, according to research by the corporation’s governing body.

However, while the report said that overall perceptions of BBC news, current affairs and radio were positive across the regions, the corporation was not perceived as well in Scotland.

“This was particularly apparent in Scotland where significant performance gaps emerged between aspects of news programming audiences considered important and how they rated the BBC’s actual performance.”
    The concerns were predominantly about how much Scottish news was covered, and impartiality.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/18/scottish-viewers-bbc-news-impartiality-independence-referendum
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    It could be summarised by one word: "Austerity". The layout is clearly to show the effect continuing Conservative austerity has on the declining funding for Scotland.

So they have come up with a set of figures not only designed to mislead but to also make a political point.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Options

ps God forbid John Swinney would take issue with a story on the BBC reporting a fall in teacher numbers, when they actually increased. How dare he. No wonder Scots are turning off in droves.

So it is OK for the SNP to get stuck in to the BBC and bully them in to changing a factually correct headline not once bit three times?

You think that is is OK in a democratic country with a free press?

I would call it state censorship.

As for the intelligence of the Scottish electorate that has been eroded by 10 years of kak SNP education reforms.

Curriculum for Excellence? Don't make me laugh.
  • Shakethedisease
    Shakethedisease Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 December 2016 at 8:24PM
    Options
    So they have come up with a set of figures not only designed to mislead but to also make a political point.
    Interpret the figures how you personally wish to. Just as Hague has done.

Personally, I think starting analysis at the point of the Conservatives coming to power and their austerity agenda is a useful guide to the next four years for everyone.
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    So it is OK for the SNP to get stuck in to the BBC and bully them in to changing a factually correct headline not once bit three times?

You think that is is OK in a democratic country with a free press?

I would call it state censorship.

As for the intelligence of the Scottish electorate that has been eroded by 10 years of kak SNP education reforms.

Curriculum for Excellence? Don't make me laugh.

That's fine too as your own opinion. In my own I think the BBC is guilty of slanting things, sometimes obviously so, to suit an agenda. I don't think the original headline was warranted and was at best giving a misleading impression that overall teacher numbers are falling rather than rising. And in any case, is teacher - pupil ratio numbers which are the important factor at play here. Not just the numbers overall.

Imo Swinney was right to point this out. Also, where the info came from there were three or four calls made is dubious given this info first appeared on Twitter via a Scottish Labour activist. How did he know ? And what was the BBC doing giving unelected members of the public any such info in the first place ?

Anyway, no doubt there will be a huge uptick in anti-Sturgeon/SNP narratives along tomorrow. Can't wait... :doh:
  • TrickyTree83
    Options
    Everything bad = not the fault of the SNP
    Everything good = completely down to the SNP

Does that about sum it up?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    their austerity agenda is a useful guide to the next four years for everyone.

I'm still waiting to hear a credible alternative. Those that simply pretend that there is. Will have very short political careers.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Options

Imo Swinney was right to point this out.

So you think it is OK for the government to interfere with a free press?

So really what you are saying is you are quite happy with the SNP totalitarian state!

Totalitarian:- relating to a system of government that is centralised and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state.

That definition just about sums up Scotland under the nats!
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    Politicians should not interfere with press freedom, comment on the output is one thing, attempting to bully editors to change headlines is not.

The Stephen Daisley incident and the SNPs push (against public opinion) to have a Scottish six o'clock news shows the way things are going.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure