Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

Options

Comments

• islandannie
    Options
    Golly, it's taken Hague his sweet time to dig anything up on the Scottish Budget. I saw him tweeting the link to this a few hours ago with a follower ruefully pointing out that he's had to spend ages digging round.

Good. Is about time the SNP started being a little less deferential to a media that cannot hide their own distain for the party or anyone connected with it.

This is about as close to being one of the most dangerous quotes i`ve heard from a so called democratic government supporter.

I have lived and worked in many countries all over the World in my time and have been absolutely shocked by the way some corrupt regimes censor the press

This is Scotland for goodness sake if you don`t like what a certain media outlet reports then simply read another source.

To attempt to hobble the press output because you disagree with is a truly dangerous precedent.
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - Albert Einstein.

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.”-

Orwell.
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    Everything bad = not the fault of the SNP
    Everything good = completely down to the SNP

Does that about sum it up?
    No. It's about media balance. If you can point me to one positive story about the SNP in the last five years that isn't in the National or the Sunday Herald go ahead. You won't find one. It's either a negative story, or an even more negative story. Even when it comes to rising teacher numbers, record low crime rates, and the best rated NHS in the UK for patient satisfaction it's always somehow turned into a negative story.

The BBC follow the same trend. We're all resigned to it now though. It won't change. Thankfully there are now other outlets for balance and making one's own mind up. And given their reader numbers, obviously slowly but surely filled the vacuum that the BBC and other media in Scotland left behind them around 2007.
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • Shakethedisease
    Shakethedisease Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 December 2016 at 1:06AM
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    Politicians should not interfere with press freedom, comment on the output is one thing, attempting to bully editors to change headlines is not.

The Stephen Daisley incident and the SNPs push (against public opinion) to have a Scottish six o'clock news shows the way things are going.
    You should avail yourself with some books about Brexit and the campaigns leading up. Cameron and his team were on the phone every day to the BBC correcting stories.

If you've got a problem with the SNP, then you've got a problem with all political parties contacting the press. Daisley made the mistake of tweeting personal opinions on an account representing STV, as well as recommending Brian Spanner as an account 'everyone should follow'... even though Spanner was well known for calling female politicians 'torn face c***s' and other similar tweets.

STV was well shot of him tweeting and passing personal opinion from something which was outwardly, their corporate political account representing them. Foolish late night tweets have consequences. Even for unionist hacks like Daisley who cross lines. He was becoming a liability, especially with his personal recommendations, from an STV account that everyone should follow an account like Spanners.

The SNP aren't bothered about a Scottish Six. Like I said everyone has given up on the BBC for Scottish news.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2016 at 9:12AM
    Options
    You should avail yourself with some books about Brexit and the campaigns leading up. Cameron and his team were on the phone every day to the BBC correcting stories.

If you've got a problem with the SNP, then you've got a problem with all political parties contacting the press. Daisley made the mistake of tweeting personal opinions on an account representing STV, as well as recommending Brian Spanner as an account 'everyone should follow'... even though Spanner was well known for calling female politicians 'torn face c***s' and other similar tweets.

STV was well shot of him tweeting and passing personal opinion from something which was outwardly, their corporate political account representing them. Foolish late night tweets have consequences. Even for unionist hacks like Daisley who cross lines. He was becoming a liability, especially with his personal recommendations, from an STV account that everyone should follow an account like Spanners.

The SNP aren't bothered about a Scottish Six. Like I said everyone has given up on the BBC for Scottish news.

I do have a problem with any politicians interfering with press freedom.
    There are proper ways to complain and raise concerns about STVs journalists i.e. Ofcom
    More whataboutery
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Moto2
    Options
    No. It's about media balance. If you can point me to one positive story about the SNP in the last five years that isn't in the National or the Sunday Herald go ahead. You won't find one. It's either a negative story, or an even more negative story. Even when it comes to rising teacher numbers, record low crime rates, and the best rated NHS in the UK for patient satisfaction it's always somehow turned into a negative story.

The newspapers aren't there to praise political parties, they should be digging at them and trying to weed out their self-serving corrupt ways. and to report on it as they see fit within the law.

But since you ask...

Here's one of many in the Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/27/snps-year-of-transformation-i-think-we-acquitted-ourselves-well
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    I do have a problem with any politicians interfering with press freedom.
    There are proper ways to complain and raise concerns about STVs journalists i.e. Ofcom
    There were official complaints to STV from the public though.
    More whataboutery
    Nope a level playing field for all political parties. Not one rule for one, and another one for another. People were complaining directly to STV about Daisley, it was only when two SNP MP's questioned if this was an official STV standpoint on Twitter..that people like yourself got all suddenly self-righteous about 'free speech' and interfering.

Daisley crossed the line between personal and professional and paid the price. It wasn't his personal account. End of story.
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    The newspapers aren't there to praise political parties, they should be digging at them and trying to weed out their self-serving corrupt ways. and to report on it as they see fit within the law.
    They distort and follow agenda's. Only too obviously in some cases.
    That's the SNP talking about themselves. Not a positive story about the SNP or any of their particular policies.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just watching Sturgeons plan to keep Scotland in single market with Norway type deal... Calling it a low bar and compromise around which the country can work.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    They distort and follow agenda's. Only too obviously in some cases. ...

Pot calling kettle black.
  • Moto2
    Options

That's the SNP talking about themselves. Not a positive story about the SNP or any of their particular policies.

The SNP wrote it?

You said...
    It's either a negative story, or an even more negative story.

The article I linked to is neither, is that the goalposts I see moving into the distance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure