Looking at Ty
    You would never believe he was feral

Soppy boy he is
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reply to MU
    I know that what happened is awful and has affected a huge number of people but try to look at it as a percentage of the number of people there rather than how many were killed or injured. I find that it really helps me with realising that, even if I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, statistically it's very unlikely that I'm going to die as a result of an act of terrorism.
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OH just used the walking frame.yay
    Yay
    Yay
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Loads of love, hugs and squishes to everyone, whether you want them or not :D

I hope things look up for everyone and I'll "see" you all in a couple of weeks.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mellymoo74 wrote: »
    OH just used the walking frame.yay
    Yay
    Yay

Brilliant melly. Glad to hear it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 27 May 2017 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Ummm... not sure whether to post this or not. I found it reassuring, but it relates to terrorism so I will penguin it. Terrorism is triggery for some people, so don't look if you are doubtful, just be aware that it's good news (figures dropping) rather than bad.

I've eeen several sources recently which suggest that although we are all terrified of terrorism nowadays, it is actually much lower than it was in the late 1980's. In particular, LINK IS BELOW!, which does include MCR. I do find this reassuring - I think we are much better at reporting than we used to be, but also things are given much more media space and the media is all around us now in a way it never used to be, which is one of the reasons we can feel so overwhelmed. (And also we are closer because of Facebook and threads like this. Even we posters on here cover quite a lot of ground and have quite diverse experiences, but if one of us suffers something we all do too, to an extent.)

The linky is telegraph dot co dot uk /news/0/many-people-killed-terrorist-attacks-uk/ with no spaces and proper dots!!!

I do hope that might help, a bit. If not, there are fresh squishes in the cupboard - love to all xxxx

PS You will have to copy and paste the link - sorry, the only way I could make it go white was to stop it being a link, IYSWIM.

PPS Damn! It's still blue! Just put a www in front of it. (I hope)

PPPS No, that didn't work, you have to translate it back into being a link.........
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Hiya AO. So sorry you are feeling bad. Talk to us about anything you like, we're a friendly lot!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Alias_Omega
    , you are not alone with the rumination.

A lot of us churn over and over things, beating ourselves up about what we said, how we said it, what we could have done differently.

It's partly a confidence thing, partly an empathetic thing, (not wanting to have upset anyone), and partly a living-alone thing (ie there not being anyone to reassure us). Also an anxiety thing, of course.

Is the speech loss a reaction to being afraid of saying the wrong thing? If so, that's perfectly understandable. Kind of an extreme version of "think before you speak".

The first thing that occurred to me was that hypnotherapy might be useful. I have had some in the past, and it did help, even if only because you experience a deep relaxation. I also studied it with a view to practising, (but didn't, for reasons unconnected with the profession itself).
    The problem as always, is finding a practitioner who is suitably qualified, as there are many different levels of qualification. Your GP may be able to help there.

In the meantime, you can talk on here as much as you like. :A
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Pyxis for the helpful response to AO, I missed the whited out writing for some reason.
    Out gallivanting today, so will catch up with you all later.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Thanks Pyxis for the helpful response to AO, I missed the whited out writing for some reason.

Yes, so did I. It took me a minute to work out how Pyxis knew so much! AO, are you locking things inside you because you are scared about what will happen if you let them out? A sort of version of what WaS has, where she feels horribly responsible for world events? *waves to WaS and sends her a million hugs* Does it help if you write these things down, the things that are too awful to say? (Sorry for the rather pop psychology, but might be worth a try to see what the process feels like, in a safe environment of course.)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback