Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    Calley, best wishes to AM for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Izadora. Not sure I can cope with the weeks of him at home getting in my way :rotfl:

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    I have some cautiously good news. WaSp is off the ventilator and awake. He is still psychotic so he has someone sitting with him 24/7 but hes a tiny bit better physically. He has been asking for me so I have booked a taxi to visit on Saturday and hopefully that will settle him a bit. The plasma exchanges are working well to remove the inflammation from his blood and he is having daily dialysis for his kidneys.

Do you think it is ok to ask the carer who is sitting with him to pop for a coffee while I'm there? I am so socially phobic that I am going to be scared to talk with someone right there next to us. I have visions of me sitting in embarrassed silence for 2 hours.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I think that's totally OK, and the carer will probably be delighted! If she's not, you could ask her for some alone time with your husband and ask her if she could just sit outside - I can't see anyone refusing that <3
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Things move soooo quickly on here! I've just read backwards and seen everyone else's posts.

Ono - sounds as if the lumbar puncture was a positive experience - at least for your friend lol. Here's hoping for a great outcome.

WaS- such great news about the transport!

Pyxis - very sorry to hear you've been having hard times. Hope things look up for you very soon.

Dandy - very good luck with your new counsellor!

Deka - great advice from Dandy. Don't let the !!!!!!s grind you down!

Mega hugs to all, and hoping you have the best of all possible Easters. xxx
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • calleyw
    Options
    Do you think it is ok to ask the carer who is sitting with him to pop for a coffee while I'm there? I am so socially phobic that I am going to be scared to talk with someone right there next to us. I have visions of me sitting in embarrassed silence for 2 hours.

It should be fine and you can call them if you need them. I use to take my ex off the ward in a wheel chair when allowed, as his ex wife use to work there !!!!!and we had private things to discuss.

No surgery tomorrow for AM. He is being really good about it. I would be going mad:rotfl: What a palaver to get some more pain meds for him as well due to the bank holidays

Yours

Calley x

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    (and calley, sorry I didn't mention you and thank you for all the supportive and good advice that comes from you!) :D

• calleyw
    Options
    (and calley, sorry I didn't mention you and thank you for all the supportive and good advice that comes from you!) :D

Woohoo I am special I get my own mention :rotfl:

I try my best where I can. Its hard as when I went through it I had no friends in real life or on-line. I had family local but they where not much use. Sure I have mentioned before my dad telling me I don't know what stress is. I never said it out loud but in my head I was saying. Yes dad no idea of course working full time and spending all my spare time at hospital with my husband who has had a stroke. No idea at all!!!!

WaS has lots of people on-line to support her.

Everyone take care and get some rest this evening

Yours

Calley x

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Thank you both, I will ask if the carer would like a break for a while.

I am keeping everything crossed for tonight. When WaSp has been awake previously he has been ok during the day but hallucinated at night. I am prepared for another 3am phone call although I really hope that they can keep him awake for my visit. I have paid the taxi fares in advance because it is £30 cheaper that way so no matter what I am visiting on Saturday. I admit to being slightly anxious because again tonight his nurse told me to expect him to be "a bit strange". I am wondering how strange we are talking, hopefully he doesn't tell me that they are trying to poison him again!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    WaS, I wouldn't worry about the psychosis, because you know it has a biochemical cause and will get better as he does. When is his dialysis? Because doubtless that will help, clearing his system out of a whole lot of gunk! And the nurse has no idea of your rather superior coping systems in general, and particularly your range of experience of handling people far, far more psychotic than WaSp currently is.....

And a sudden thought. You said the hospital had asked if you needed anything else, and I was thinking about transport issues and the like. But you could tell them about your social phobia and that you are worried about the carer being there when you visit, and ask *them* if it is possible for her to go for a coffee or wait outside. (Not that I think you will have to. I just thought this might be reassuring for you if you are still worrying.)

• mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you both, I will ask if the carer would like a break for a while.

I am keeping everything crossed for tonight. When WaSp has been awake previously he has been ok during the day but hallucinated at night. I am prepared for another 3am phone call although I really hope that they can keep him awake for my visit. I have paid the taxi fares in advance because it is £30 cheaper that way so no matter what I am visiting on Saturday. I admit to being slightly anxious because again tonight his nurse told me to expect him to be "a bit strange". I am wondering how strange we are talking, hopefully he doesn't tell me that they are trying to poison him again!

That's a good ITU unit WaS I didn't get told until I burst into tears when OH accused me of telling them not to resuscitate him under any circumstances.

When OH was on the ward he met someone who had lso been in ITU not as long as OH but for over a week. He had still got his mobile so had called 999 to tell them he had been kidnapped.

Nurse explained it to me as in order to keep them alive they are inadvertently torturing them, lots of the treatment hurts, they can't move have very little control over being awake or not and lots of the drugs cause you to hallucinate.

This is about trying to make you prepared, it is temporary though he may need support after ITU, some. Hospitals have a exit strategy including support and going back to ITU when your better so you can make sense of what happened.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback