ONE DAY LEFT to add your questions before the Forum 'Ask An Expert: Energy' event ends. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer some from Wed afternoon

MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Comments

• Nellie5
    Nellie5 Forumite Posts: 1 Newbie
    My tumble dryer is less than two years old but my retailer refuses to get involved with refunds or replacement. We are talking very sucessful, large retail store.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Forumite Posts: 3,426
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I contacted facebook as suggested here. They were quick to respond, but they just went ahead and booked me into a time slot for a repair without consulting with me at all.

So now I have a engineer booked for the middle of my holiday (nobody will be home), and they will no longer respond to any of my messages, even though they actually said to get back in touch if the slot was no good.

I understand they are under pressure, but this is pretty sloppy work. It is mistakes like this that are making such huge delays! I am happy for somebody else to take my slot, but since Hotpoint are ignoring my messages the slot will likely go to waste. I can imagine the poor engineer sat outside of our empty house wondering why we are not there, and probably blaming us for the fact.
  • maxine1010
    maxine1010 Forumite Posts: 7
    First Post
    Forumite
    Following Martin's email last week, I decided to contact the retailer (via email) I purchased our tumble dryer from - Tesco as I had been given January 2017 as the first date for an engineer. The tumble dryer was an Indesit model purchased approx 2 years ago.

After quoting the Sale of Goods Act etc, I received a very quick response referring me back to Whirlpool to follow their process. I responded explaining this had already been done, the date given was unacceptable and that they had some responsibility as the retailer. Again another quick response was received saying the matter had been escalated.

Within a day, I had received a new date for an engineer to visit (coming within next 7 days) and numerous calls from Tesco following up to ensure Whirlpool had contacted me. Hopefully everything will go as planned.

Thank you Tesco.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2016 at 11:31AM
    Saledwards wrote: »
    Found receipt on bank statement from feb15, emailed b&q to see if they would refund, they suggested contacting store, phoned and they said fine no problems, took dryer back and they provided full refund - explained house insurance not likely to cover in event of fire due to recall and long wait for repairs - no problems at all. Purchased new dryer different brand :) thanks martin for brill advice

Wow extremely good service from B&Q to give you a full refund, despite the machine being over 1 year old - you have essentially had free use of the machine for over 1 year, for which they're allowed to deduct "fair usage", but seem to have chosen not to. Well done B&Q.
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I contacted facebook as suggested here. They were quick to respond, but they just went ahead and booked me into a time slot for a repair without consulting with me at all.

So now I have a engineer booked for the middle of my holiday (nobody will be home), and they will no longer respond to any of my messages, even though they actually said to get back in touch if the slot was no good.

I understand they are under pressure, but this is pretty sloppy work. It is mistakes like this that are making such huge delays! I am happy for somebody else to take my slot, but since Hotpoint are ignoring my messages the slot will likely go to waste. I can imagine the poor engineer sat outside of our empty house wondering why we are not there, and probably blaming us for the fact.

Letter in the post - repeat ad nauseum. This seems to be the best way of communicating with them and all the reported results so far have been positive.

Phone calls, social media, don't even bother, far too many people getting hyped up and whinging. I agree Social Media can be useful in certain situations, but when you have well over thousands of people all baying for attention you've got little chance of getting any decent service.

Letter in the post, keep it short and to the point. Do not fill it with complaints, accusations of negligence or moaning about wait times (else you'll become yet another moaner who they don't want to deal with) and this purely wastes everyone's time involved as there is little they can do about it, just keep it short and set out what you want - the results from other forums and members on here have been mostly positive.
  • Cidertab
    Cidertab Forumite Posts: 10 Forumite
    I have heard and read lots of stories about the Hotpoint Dryer fault and just wanted to share my experience with you all as I think Hotpoint are trying to do their best but it is a massive task. I do really feel for anyone who is still struggling to get a resolution, but be patient and persistent. My dryer was about 7 years old and was an exact replacement of one I had bought 5 years earlier. My original one was replaced as it started smoldering when in use.:eek: I immediately unplugged it and took it outside. At this point I didn't know it was potentially faulty. I replaced the dryer (new year time so needed something quick with 2 toddlers) and forgot about the old one which I then put in the garage. At some point over the next few years it got taken to the tip. When I then became aware that a recall/safety notice was published, I contacted Hotpoint as my 'new' dryer was listed as an affected machine. I called and called and called, did not give up and eventually they said that they would email me with an appointment for an engineer to come and fix the fault. I had explained that this was my second machine (exactly the same) and that the first one had smoldered. They said that it could take up to six weeks for the email. I waited and waited and eventually 3 weeks later I got a phone call. the gentleman said that he was calling to arrange a replacement! I was a bit gobsmacked, but good on Hotpoint. There was only one choice of machine and if I didn't like it they could come and modify my existing machine. I accepted the replacement. This was delivered on 29th December 2015. :T
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    :A
    Cidertab wrote: »
    I have heard and read lots of stories about the Hotpoint Dryer fault and just wanted to share my experience with you all as I think Hotpoint are trying to do their best but it is a massive task. I do really feel for anyone who is still struggling to get a resolution, but be patient and persistent. My dryer was about 7 years old and was an exact replacement of one I had bought 5 years earlier. My original one was replaced as it started smoldering when in use.:eek: I immediately unplugged it and took it outside. At this point I didn't know it was potentially faulty. I replaced the dryer (new year time so needed something quick with 2 toddlers) and forgot about the old one which I then put in the garage. At some point over the next few years it got taken to the tip. When I then became aware that a recall/safety notice was published, I contacted Hotpoint as my 'new' dryer was listed as an affected machine. I called and called and called, did not give up and eventually they said that they would email me with an appointment for an engineer to come and fix the fault. I had explained that this was my second machine (exactly the same) and that the first one had smoldered. They said that it could take up to six weeks for the email. I waited and waited and eventually 3 weeks later I got a phone call. the gentleman said that he was calling to arrange a replacement! I was a bit gobsmacked, but good on Hotpoint. There was only one choice of machine and if I didn't like it they could come and modify my existing machine. I accepted the replacement. This was delivered on 29th December 2015. :T

I agree with your post title "not all bad experiences".

I think the majority of people see the modification program and immediately descend into mass hysteria and become panic stricken that their otherwise working fine for x odd years machine is going to spontaneously combust.

This then leads to angry phone calls, legal threats, demands, etc.... and then these people wonder why Hotpoint wants nothing to do with them.

If you approach the situation calmly with your head screwed on, assess the risk yourself instead of following everybody else with faux outrage, you'll get a positive result.
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    AJXX wrote: »
    I think the majority of people see the modification program and immediately descend into mass hysteria and become panic stricken that their otherwise working fine for x odd years machine is going to spontaneously combust.
    I am concerned about my machine, but then just a few miles from me two people with the same model (one due an engineer the same day), just lost there homes due to the machines catching fire.

One was 22nd February, the other the 7th March.

While the fires are probably rare, I can't gamble with my families lives like that. How awful would I feel if they were burned while I was out of the house?, let alone if I knew about the fault and told them to carry on using it! I have bought a fire extinguisher for the kitchen as a safety measure. Unfortunately, our letting agent is telling us not to use the machine again (repaired or not), unless we want to be held responsible for damages.

Not all Hotpoint's fault, but I'm being put in a crappy situation because of this problem.
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    AJXX wrote: »
    Letter in the post - repeat ad nauseum. This seems to be the best way of communicating with them and all the reported results so far have been positive.
    I feel this is the way to go, but I still have to resolve this issue through FB as I don't want to be wasting an engineers time!
  • Natashabl
    Natashabl Forumite Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi everyone, I emailed Indesit today and told them that I was not happy to wait for an engineer to visit in January 2017 to carry out repairs to an appliance that was sold to me faulty. I also questioned if they would cover my home insurance if the appliance caught fire and my insurance company refused to pay up due to this being a 'known faulty'. I received a phone call 2 hours later offering me a FREE REPLACEMENT in the Graphite Grey that isn't being offered via the Hotpoint website. This will be delivered FOC in 7-10 days and the faulty appliance will be removed. In addition, the new dryer has a better energy rating, larger capacity and comes with 1 year warranty and 10 years parts cover. So guys, don't sit and wait for an engineer, email Indesit or Hotpoint and tell them that you want your appliance replaced. :T
  • flossiea
    flossiea Forumite Posts: 51 Forumite
    I bought my dryer at the end of 2015 from AO.com I contacted them about a replacement or refund a few days ago and they refused both on the basis that they are following instructions from Indesit and as the machines are repairable they are not faulty, I then emailed Indesit, who I was already on the list with for a repair to be carried out, saying I was no longer happy with a repair and wanted a replacement or refund, they contacted my by phone the next day and offered me a free replacement with a better spec then my original one :) Huge thanks to MSE :T:T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure